by Clay & Susan Griffith
Series: Crown & Key #2
Narrator: Nicholas Guy Smith
Length: 10 hours and 36 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
With a flood of dark magic about to engulf Victorian London, can a handful of heroes vanquish a legion of the undead? When monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane comes across the gruesome aftermath of a ritual murder in a London church, he enlists the help of magician-scribe Simon Archer and alchemist extraordinaire Kate Anstruther. Studying the macabre scene, they struggle to understand obscure clues in the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics carved into the victim’s heart—as well as bizarre mystical allusions to the romantic poetry of William Blake. One thing is clear: Some very potent black magic is at work. But this human sacrifice is only the first in a series of ritualized slayings. Desperate to save lives while there is still time, Simon, Kate, and Malcolm—along with gadget geek Penny Carter and Charlotte, an adolescent werewolf—track down a necromancer who is reanimating the deceased. As the team battles an unrelenting army of undead, monstrous serpentine demons, and a powerful Egyptian mummy, the necromancer proves an elusive quarry. And when the true purpose of the ritual is revealed, the gifted allies must confront a destructive force that is positively apocalyptic
Undying Legion is the second novel in Clay & Susan Griffith’s Victorian-era urban fantasy. Dark, suspenseful and weaved in magic and necromancy the authors kept me on edge while fleshing out characters and their world. I chose to listen and once again, narrator Nicholas Guy Smith brought this tale to life as Simon and Kate investigate these suspicious murders.
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and solve the ritualistic murders in Undying Legion
- Malcom MacFarlane is concerned about a series of gruesome murders in a London church and seeks the help of Simon Archer a magician-scribe and those of Kate Anstruther a skilled alchemist. The macabre scene reveal ritual murders and ancient hieroglyphics etched into the victim’s hearts. Once again, the authors take us down a dark rabbit hole in search of someone wielding dark magic with a penance for poetry by William Blake. These murders are just the first in a string of ritualized killings and Simon and Kate will need the help of their friends. The tale that unfolds has everything from gadgets to time travel.
- The characters in this series continue to impress and I have such a good time with them. We have Simon, Kate, Malcom who hunts monsters and Penny who can create anything. Her gadgets and weaponry are badass. Charlotte, a young werewolf who helps them track a necromancer and struggles controlling her beast creates a little tension within the group. At times, the characters can be a little cliché, but between their interaction and the Griffin’s touches, I love this motely investigative team. They click and felt genuine.
- In Undying Legion, the mystery behind these murders could wipe out London and it becomes a race against the clock to stop a monster. The authors weaved Egyptian history, demi-gods and myth into the tale magically creating suspense, danger and intense action-scenes. It has a dark vibe and can sometimes be grotesque but I appreciated the details.
- The tale is plot driven and therefore I cannot recommend reading/listening to the novels in this series out of order. Bonds are created with the characters and little time is spent endearing you to them as we move at a fast pace with clever red herrings and unexpected twists. The ending has me eager to listen to the next novel. I am so glad these are releasing so close together!
- The world and the vivid way in which the authors bring it to life is one of my favorite aspects of this series. I can see the monsters, gadgets and even the look on Malcom’s face when a young woman exasperates him.
Undying Legion works wonderfully on audio and I am anxious to listen to The Conquering Dark the next installment due to release July 28th. Can I just be shallow for a moment and talk about the covers. Seriously, they rock both the book cover and the audio jacket.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/208889532″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone