by Clay & Susan Griffith
Series: Crown & Key #1
Published by: Penguin Random House
Narrator: Nicholas Guy Smith
Length: 10 hrs and 26 mins
Genres: Steampunk, Urban Fantasy
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
They are the realm’s last, best defense against supernatural evil. But they’re going to need a lot more silver. As fog descends, obscuring the gas lamps of Victorian London, werewolves prowl the shadows of back alleys. But they have infiltrated the inner circles of upper-crust society as well. Only a handful of specially gifted practitioners are equipped to battle the beasts. Among them are the roguish Simon Archer, who conceals his powers as a spell-casting scribe behind the smooth veneer of a dashing playboy; his layabout mentor, Nick Barker, who prefers a good pub to thrilling heroics; and the self-possessed alchemist Kate Anstruther, who is equally at home in a ballroom as she is on a battlefield. After a lycanthrope targets Kate’s vulnerable younger sister, the three join forces with fierce Scottish monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane—but quickly discover they’re dealing with a threat far greater than anything they ever imagined.
Reviews of The Shadow Revolution by Clay Griffith had me intrigued and I decided to accept a review copy of the audio. I am so glad that I did. Shadow Revolution offers a dark Victorian-era urban fantasy with memorable characters and an intense plot. I am looking forward to continuing this series.
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to The Shadow Revolution:
- Told from both the male perspective as well as the females this gritty urban fantasy with its steampunk vibe and magical mayhem quickly pulled me in. The tale is action packed and gory at times but it made me shiver and I became caught up listening to the clever narrations. While this is a series, the reader will be instantly rewarded as the stories release about a month apart.
- The characters were phenomenal, although admittedly with all the intense, nail-biting action I did not get to know them as much as I wanted. Griffith gave us a yummy hero in Simon Archer. He is a scribe and ever the gentlemen. Dressed to the nines with his walking stick that doubles as a sword and covered in hidden tattoos he was at times overly confident and had a tendency to be forward but I loved the devil. Nick Barker is Simon’s teacher/friend. He seems like a playboy on the surface but the man has numerous talents. Kate was a personal favorite for me. I love strong, educated women and she does everything from Alchemy to running her father’s estate. Did I mention the gal is kick-ass? Malcolm McFarlane is a huge Scotsman with a sharp tongue who made me laugh. Secondary characters like Penny added to the mix and only increased my enjoyment as they grounded the tale.
- Magic, battles and squeamish moments with unthinkable beasts had me looking for excuses to continue listening. A powerful darkness whispers from the underbelly of London and our hero must step up his game and his education to save the day. The author does a great job with foreshadowing and has me excited about the next installment.
- Griffith blends paranormal and steampunk elements brilliantly. From the gadgets and alchemy to the magic in this world. Simon uses runes to perform his spells and I liked the twist the author added. In this world, magic has a cost and it is something I appreciate when delving into these magical worlds. I love the idea of balance.
- The Shadow Revolution is suggested for fans of Sherlock Holmes and Penny Dreadful. These type of references usually scare the hell out of me but in this, they were spot on. Nicholas Guy Smith beautifully narrated this tale, and I hope he continues throughout the series. From his accents to his ability to evoke subtle emotions he made listening a pleasure.
The Shadow Revolution was a fantastic read and just the urban fantasy fix I was looking for. Undying Legion released June 30th and The Conquering Dark releases July 28th. I cannot wait to listen. *I am currently listening to Undying Legion (at about 80%) and it rocks as well.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/203674411″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone