by Kevin Hearne
Series: Iron Druid Chronicles #8.5
Narrator: Luke Daniels
Length: 8 hours and 46 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups
The ancient gods are alive and well in the modern world in this hilarious, action-packed collection of original short stories featuring Atticus O'Sullivan, the handsome, tattooed, 2,000-year-old Irishman with extraordinary magic powers from Kevin Hearne's New York Times best-selling Iron Druid Chronicles.
As I continued my binge of the Iron Druid Chronicles, I wasn’t sure if I would grab all the novellas on audio or in fact even read them, but Besieged is a large collection and after Staked I wasn’t quite ready to leave this world or wait for the next book in April so I decided to download this collection. Brilliant, funny, sad, and interesting I delighted in these tales shared around a campfire.
Atticus, Granuiale, and Oberon are enjoying a quiet evening around the campfire at their Colorado cabin when Oberon and Granuiale beseech Atticus to tell them a story. I loved the setup and clear indicators Hearne gave us as to where each story falls in the Iron Druid Chronicles timeline. This book encompassed the following novellas #4.1, 4.2, 4.6, 4.7, 8.1, 8.2, 8.6, 8.7, 8.9.
- THE EYE OF HORUS- This short story predates the Druid Chronicles stories and takes place before Atticus was the last Druid. Aricus is speaking with an old English dialogue and I had fun listening to Luke Daniels’ interpretation of his accent. This tale takes us to ancient Egpyt where Atticus agrees to steal an artifact for a god in exchange for a favor later. For fans of the series, this story offered a rare treat and answers how Atticus came to learn of things that allowed him to in essence become the Iron Druid. Eep! Feral cats, angry gods and more await you in this most excellent tale. 5 cups
- GODDESS AT THE CROSSROADS- Shakespeare fans will love this tale, as Atticus shares his encounter with the great playwright and explains his distrust of witches. I loved how Hearne weaved Atticus’s influence and regarding the play Macbeth. Humor, demons and more await you in this tale. 5 cups
- THE DEMON BARKER OF WHEAT STREET – I was glad to see this tale originally published in Cariepunk anthology. This takes place during Granuiale’s training and shares a trip the trio took to Kansas so that she could check on her mother. They end up at a carnival and the story quickly turns dark. Demons, ghouls and an angry elemental offered an engaging if not gory tale. Oberon, of course, stole the show on more than one occasion. 4 cups
- GOLD DUST DRUID- This was such a fun tale that takes place during the gold rush in this western short. An elemental seeks Atticus’s help with a demon and soon he is carrying a cane and posing as an English detective of sorts and joins forces with the local sheriff. Suspense, greed and Oberon’s interruptions with star ratings of the tale had me giggling aloud. A clever tale that showcased Atticus’s skills. 4.5 cups
- THE BOGEYMAN OF BOORA BOG- We are treated to the story of how Owen came to be Atticus’s teacher. He is relating the tale to Greta during pillow talk. I really enjoy Owen and liked hearing about his past. Someone or something is kidnapping children along the bog’s borders and what Owen discovers shakes him. During this time he hs a chat with the Morrigan and we see some foreshadowing. 4 cups
- CUDDLE DUNGEON – Perun, the Slavic God of Thunder and Flidais visit a sex club where Flidais assumes the role of Dom. This was an interesting tale delivered from Perun’s perspective. While Perum assumes they are having fun to spice up their love life it appears Flidais has other plans at it will cost her. 4.5 cups
- BLOOD PUDDING- We are in Poland with Granuiale as she trains with the witches and bartends. An encounter with a stranger soon has her working with Leif to eradicate a vampire nest. While Granuiale sometimes annoys me, I give the girl credit for her dating criteria. 4 cups
- HAUNTED DEVILS- I loved this story. This story takes place after, Staked but before Scourged the final book. The elementals ask Owen for help saving a species and he takes his apprentices along with him where they bump into Atticus and Oberon. Greta is none to pleased, but the tale itself was fascinating and involved a virus and ghostly spirits. I loved the growth Owen made in this story regarding Atticus and shed a tear at his words. 4.5 cups
- THE END OF IDYLLS- The Morrigan warns Atticus that Ragnorak has begun. This prompts Atticus to send Oberon home, but before he does he shares the story of his first companion. I love how Hearne ties stories together and this one references Big Foot. The conversation between Oberon and Atticus was touching and the story a sad one. 5 cups
I devoured Besieged and appreciated what each tale brought to the Iron Druid world and its characters. It also made my pockets a little lighter and I went and bought all the available audio novellas ranging in length from one and half hours to four.Besieged by Kevin Hearne-A delightful collection of shorts any Iron Druid fan will love. #audiobooks Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.