by Jim Butcher
Series: The Dresden Files #15.1
Narrator: James Marsters, Full Cast
Length: 15 hours and 30 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Narration: 5 cups Speed: 1.3x
A new collection of previously published Dresden Files stories, including an ORIGINAL Dresden Files novella from the #1 New York Times bestselling author.
Return to Chicago with a brand-new Dresden Files novella, plus other reader favorites featuring Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and his friends, as they solve supernatural mysteries, protect the helpless, and fight evil
This audiobook features previously published novellas and a brand new one. It also brings me current on the series. I am now left waiting with the rest of the Dresden fandom the newest audiobook…
- Curses, from THE NAKED CITY, edited by Ellen Datlow. Hilarious! Dresden is hired to remove the curse plaguing the Chicago Cubs.
- AAAA Wizardry, from the Dresden Files RPG. Harry teaches a group of young wardens a valuable lesson as he retells a case involving the boogeyman.
- Even Hand, from DARK AND STORMY KNIGHTS, edited by P. N. Elrod. A story told from John Marcone’s POV. A young assistant requests safe haven for herself and a young child she freed. It was interesting getting Marcone’ perspective. His comments about Harry made me laugh.
- B is for Bigfoot, from UNDER MY HAT: TALES FROM THE CAULDRON, edited by Jonathan Strahan. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT. Butcher’s insight to the writing of this story was hilarious and his imagined bigfoot wonderful. I still can’t believe Harry met a client in the woods!
- I was a Teenage Bigfoot, from BLOOD LITE 3: AFTERTASTE, edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT. We visit the bigfoot and his son as Harry investigates a mysterious illness.
- Bigfoot on Campus, from HEX APPEAL, edited by P. N. Elrod. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT. This was an intense listen as once again BigFoot asks Harry for help with his son who is now in college.
- Bombshells, from DANGEROUS WOMEN, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois. This was told from Molly POV and takes place right after changes. I found the story fascinating.
- Jury Duty, from UNBOUND, edited by Shawn Speakman This takes place after Harry’s return. Harry has been summoned for jury duty and as luck would have it finds himself a juror on a murder case. Guess what Harry does?
- Cold Case, from SHADOWED SOULS, edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes. I previously read and reviewed Shadowed Souls. This is told from Molly’s POV as she struggles to hold the city together after Harry’s demise.
- Day One, from UNFETTERED II, edited by Shawn Speakman. BUTTERS!! I love Butters and enjoyed hearing Butcher’s thoughts regarding him prior to this story beginning. Butters is given his first quest as a Knight of the Cross. Go Butters!!
- A Fistful of Warlocks, from STRAIGHT OUTTA TOMBSTONE, edited by David Boop. POV of Warden Anastasia Luccio in the Wild West. It was interesting getting a pov from Luccio and I liked the setting. This was my least favorite of the stories it lacked some of the magic.
- Zoo Day – brand-new novella, original to this collection. The story is over two hours in length and shares a day at the Zoo with Harry, Molly and Mouse. It is their first outing. I loved that Butcher gave us three separate POVs of the same story. Those of Harry first, then Molly and finally Mouse. I found the creatures fascinating.
Brief Cases reaffirms that Jim Butcher is a master storyteller regardless of length.
The novellas range from forty-five minutes to over two hours. Most are an hour in length. Zoo Day and Bombshells are the longest.
The narrators did a stellar job, of course Marsters is the voice of the series, but it was fun hearing Butcher and the others even if I needed to adjust, especially for Harry’s voice.
I am all caught up and now wait with the rest of the fandom for the next full-length audio. Now hurry up Mr. Butcher, I need a full-length Dresden Files stat! (🙏 Pretty please)Brief Cases reaffirms that Jim Butcher is a master storyteller regardless of length. #audiobook #urbanfantasy #fandom Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.