by Logan Byrne
Series: Awakened Spells #1
Narrator: Nikiya Palombi
Length: 7 hours and 8 minutes
Genres: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4.5 cups
When you’re a thief trying to get by on the scraps of your labor, life is anything but easy.
Lexa Blackmoon is a low-end magical thief with a penchant for taking things others won’t miss. An orphan haunted by the memory of her murdered parents, she lives her life just trying to get by, only looking out for herself. When a shadow mage unexpectedly confronts her and tells her she’s meant for something greater, she can’t help but feel he’s telling the truth.
Taken to a secret resistance camp outside the city, Lexa learns that not only is she a mage, but she possesses the Mark of Merlin, a magical power greater than she’s ever dreamt of. She joins the resistance, training her powers to infiltrate the ranks of M.A.G.I.C., a magical police force tasked with cleaning up the streets from crime and keeping the magical realm a secret from normal humans.
But when the sinister president-turned-dictator, Kiren Nightstorm, attempts to take over the realm, Lexa knows she has to hit him where it hurts: by defeating his secret crime syndicate aimed at enslaving the magical race.
Awakened Spells by Logan Byrne is the first in the series by the same name. Currently, there are four published books being made into audiobooks, narrated by the lovely, Nikiya Palombi. A low-end magical thief discovers she has the mark of Merlin when she joins M.A.G.I.C., a magical police force. Not a bad start to what looks to be a fun series.
Magic, Wands, and Cadets
- While the central story of a girl who doesn’t know she has powers and secret magic police forces aren’t knew, Byrne offers fun elements from wand selections to action-packed cases.
- The motley cast of characters who train with our petty thief, Lexa Blackmoon, were fun, each brought a different skill set and left me excited to work cases with them again. Notice I said work. Byrne allows the reader/listener to slip into the fast-paced story and become caught up in the world and different realms.
- I think while not nearly as complex, fans of Harry Potter, schools of magic etc will enjoy this series.
- The story is a fast-paced and actioned-packed allowing you to become quickly immersed in the story.
- You will find supernatural creatures from elves, gnomes, vampires, shifters and mages in this world.
- The characters are adult, but youthful making this perfect for fans of NA or those transitioning.
- The cases the team work were exciting from cringe worthy villain to secret crime syndicates trying to take over the realm.
- It looks like each book will feature an action-packed case while it develops the characters. It has great potential.
- Lexa is already showing signs of being quite the kick-ass officer and I am looking forward to seeing her growth.
- Nikiya Palombi did a wonderful job of narrating and I appreciated not only the voices she created but her ability to capture their emotions from annoyance to fear.
- The world is fun, and elements were familiar, but things happen quickly without a lot of world-building or development. Since this is the first book, I will pick up the second audio and see if it develops more.
- I loved the narrator, but occasionally I stumbled across an author who uses “he said”, “she said” at the end of sentences in conversation excessively. Now when I read a book, I barely notice, my eyes slip right over these identifiers, but on audio it’s annoying. Scream worthy annoying. They can change it and I hope the author works on this even if they only tweak the audio versions. I think Palombi’s voices are enough. Another author I love John Scalzi had books like this on audio, and he changed the way he writes because it annoyed him too.
Awakened Spells was a fun beginning to this urban fantasy series and I look forward to the next audio.A low-end magical thief discovers she has the mark of Merlin when she joins M.A.G.I.C., a magical police force in Awakened Spells by Logan Byrne #iloveaudiobooks #paranormal #fantasy Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: