by Clare Mackintosh
Genres: Suspense Thriller
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
Every morning and evening, Zoe Walker takes the same route to the train station, waits at a certain place on the platform, finds her favorite spot in the car, never suspecting that someone is watching her...
It all starts with a classified ad. During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her; a grainy photo along with a phone number and a listing for a website called FindTheOne.com.
Other women begin appearing in the same ad, a different one every day, and Zoe realizes they’ve become the victims of increasingly violent crimes—including murder. With the help of a determined cop, she uncovers the ad’s twisted purpose...A discovery that turns her paranoia into full-blown panic. Zoe is sure that someone close to her has set her up as the next target.
And now that man on the train—the one smiling at Zoe from across the car—could be more than just a friendly stranger. He could be someone who has deliberately chosen her and is ready to make his next move…
I SEE YOU by Clare Mackintosh is a suspense thriller that will have you looking over your shoulder. Told from multiple perspectives I could not set this down and devoured it on a cold, damp Sunday afternoon.
Five reasons to make I See You your next read:
- Some stories draw the reader immediately in and I SEE YOU did just that. We meet Zoe Walker as she takes the tube home from a thankless job. As she thumbs through the newspaper she comes across a classified ad from FindTheOne.com with a phone number and a grainy photo that looks an awful lot like her. Meanwhile, Kelly a police officer working the tubes struggles for a second chance after crossing the line. These two characters will converge when a theft case and Zoe’s concerns over the strange ad bring them together. The tale that unfolds had me flipping the pages as we are introduced to the thoughts of the person running FindTheOne.com
- I loved the different threads that allowed us to get to know both of these strong female characters, their families, and co-workers. While some may feel these side threads slowed the story, I felt it allowed me to connect and grounded the tale.
- The premise of this case, which becomes a murder mystery is clever and based in enough reality to be downright scary. As someone who doesn’t like going to strange places and prefers the comfort of routine and familiarity, the concept is downright scary. While the threat is a well known Mackintosh weaved in modern technology and our own habits to ramp up the suspense and danger. The threat is real, and the author reminds you that no one is safe.
- I loved being a part of the case both professionally along with Kelly and the Homicide Department and tagging along with Zoe as she begins to find connections. The story delivered twists, turns, and red herrings that had me enthralled.
- I See You was a well written, fast-paced tale that shares all angles of a case that will have you looking over your shoulder…because someone is watching and waiting.
Mild Trigger Warning- the book discusses sexual assault and while not detailed one of the characters suffers from PTSD and flashbacks.
I SEE YOU was a captivating and suspenseful thriller, that felt all too realistic.
I See You by Clare Mackintosh will leave you looking over your shoulder. #thriller Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.