by Samantha Chase
Series: The Shaughnessy Brothers #1
Published by: Sourcebooks
Genres: Contemporary Romance
The Shaughnessy brothers—Aiden in particular—have spent the years since their mother’s untimely death taking care of each other and trying to make their father proud. And Aiden has managed pretty well so far. But his father is starting to worry he’s neglected himself. At the age of thirty-four, he is successful and handsome, and he still has no grandchildren!
Aiden’s met plenty of attractive women over the years, but who has the time? It isn’t until he meets Zoe, a designer on one of his jobs, that he starts realizing he wants something more...
I was drawn to Made For Us by Samantha Chase because I have a weakness for series involving brothers and small-towns. This is the first book in the Shaughnessy Brothers series and I was excited to dive in. While I had issues with the characters and angst, Chase managed to make me smile.
Caffeinated Aspects of Made For Us
- Brothers-*Squee* I do love series with brothers and Made For Us delivered with the Shaughnessy family. Our first book begins with the oldest Aidan. He is thirty-four and a successful homebuilder.
- Small-town setting- The tale takes place in a beach side community in North Carolina making this a delightful summer read.
- The Shaughnessy family- consists of four brothers, their Dad and a baby sister who is now seventeen. All the boys are wildly successful and Darcy the little sister is trying to deal with her overprotective brothers. The family lost their mother during Aiden’s first year of college and it influenced all of their lives, particularly Aiden’s as he stepped in to help his father out.
- The plot- The story centers around Zoe and Aiden. Zoe Dalton is an interior decorator who, after losing her mother, moves to North Carolina. Zoe was sweet, successful and perhaps the only one who will stand up to Aiden. I had some issues with her, and really felt the author’s intention for her did not come across. (See Decaffeinated Aspects) Aiden has some serious control issues and while it worked in his professional life, it has done little for his personal life. His whole world revolves around taking care of and protecting his family. Many of his traits are admirable, but oh, lord the man needs to drop the lease. We get a hurricane, a cute dog and banter as Zoe unlike everyone else isn’t ready to fall in line and take orders from Aiden.
- Secondary characters- from siblings to the local sheriff they added interest and hinted of storylines to come. I am most excited about Anna and Quinn whose book will be a friends to lovers romance. I am hoping Dad will get one too and I have a character in mind.
- The romance- despite the angst the romance was slow building and I believed in their affections. Chase shared some sizzling kisses but the sex was not overly detailed. It was a nice balance somewhere between Robyn Carr’s small-town romances and Bella Andre’s Sullivan series.
- Angst and drama- at times spoiled the read. Yes, Aiden has issues, but I felt a little communication would have resolved things sooner.
- Zoe- had attributes I admired but she was not fleshed out firmly enough for me. She teetered sometimes in her convictions and with all of Aiden’s issues, I felt she needed to be confident, head-strong, and firm while still being able to see the man beneath his overbearing personality. One moment she is in Aiden’s face the next, she is muttering, not my family not my problem.
- Aiden- is not an easy hero to swoon-over. I felt for him, but also wanted to smack the man and often. I was a tad surprise his family tolerated his controlling behavior. You cannot fault him for his love of family and the passion he brings to the homes he builds, but the transformation for this stubborn hero was not easy. Thankfully like Zoe, I was able to see the good beneath that hard head.
While I had some issues with Made For Us, I really did end up enjoying this overall and read it in just two-sittings. I closed the book with smile and look forward to Love Walks In.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone