by Jim Butcher
Series: The Dresden Files #12.5
Narrator: James Marsters
Length: 13 hours and 13 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups Speed: 1.35x
Here, together for the first time, are the shorter from Jim Butcher's DRESDEN FILES series — a compendium of cases that Harry and his cadre of allies managed to close in record time. The tales range from the deadly serious to the absurdly hilarious. Also included is a new, never-before-published novella that takes place after the cliff-hanger ending of the new April 2010 hardcover, Changes.
My quest to listen to the Harry Dresden Files continues and Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is a compilation of novellas.
I usually like to save the novellas for last but because of what happened in Changes, I decided to listen now before begin Ghost Story.
- Restoration of Faith– This tale is set before Storm Front and Harry is working to obtain his private detective license. He finds a young, feisty runaway and battles a bridge troll. This showcases Harry’s humor and compassion.
- Vignette– I think this was originally written for a PR piece, something that is handed out at a con. It is Harry and Bob discussing business cards. I love Bob.
- Something Borrowed– from My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding Billy and Georgia’s wedding. I loved finding out how Butcher came to name them. It made me roar with laughter. And who says supernaturals are scary. Wait until you meet the MIL. We battle a seriously pissed off enemy bent on revenge.
- It’s My Birthday Too – from Many Bloody Returns Shoes and Molly play a major role in this tale as Harry tries to give Thomas a birthday present.
- Heorot – from My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon In which there is beer, Gard and a terrible monster to battle. This was creepy but we got to see Harry do a transference spell and save a young bride.
- Day Off – from Blood Lite This was hilarious. Poor Harry tries to take the day off, but you know how that goes. Werewolves, explosions and mites ensue.
- Backup – Thomas’ point of view This was my least favorite, but it was interesting hearing and seeing how Thomas experienced the events.
- The Warrior – novelette from Mean Streets This story focuses on Michael and a threat to him. I loved the story from beginning to end.
- Last Call – from Strange Brew Take me out to the ballgame. Murphy and Harry team up to catch a creature who is manipulating beer.
- Love Hurt -from Songs of Love and Death Harry and Murphy team up to solve some murders and end up at the county fair. I need more from this one.
- Aftermath – novella from Murphy’s point of view, set forty-five minutes after the end of Changes. Suspenseful, touching and it all made me what to dive into Ghost Story. Murphy only confirmed the grizzly ending of Changes. UGH!
This collection was fantastic, but even more than that I loved the brief explanations and insider info Butcher gave us at the beginning of each story. We learn how stories came about, how long it took him to write and heard awesome things about other authors.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
I know how much you like this series. I will have to start it on my break I hope. I am going for surgery then and hopefully will have lots of time to read! =) Great review!
Lindy@ A Bookish Escape
These shorts sound fantastic! I can tell you love this author and series! I love you quick short book synopsis and opinion format for each story. Great Review Kim!
Getting Murphy’s POV after that shocking ending was a good move! There is another set of novellas that just came out in the last year (to listen to after you have caught up), I liked it a lot. I hope you continue to enjoy!
I am listening to Brief Cases now..and will be waiting like the rest of the fandom. LOL
JoLee @ Wickedly Delicious Book Blog
New and refreshing to me for the explanations and brief info for each story. I would love that too.
Suzanne @ The Bookish Libra
I’m glad to hear that you’re still loving this series and that the novellas were great too.
I know how much you love this series so I am glad that these little short stories were able to give you some insider info to enhance the world and the characters all the more. Just as a novella book should do ^.^
Teresa Mary Rose
I love when a beloved series delivers good short stories as well. This sounds like it is a fun collection. Great review!
I’m glad to her that you enjoyed this. One day I’ll try this author.
Anne - Books of My Heart
I loved this one so much. Well yes I love them all. But Aftermath was a key novella and if you just stuck to the main books you miss that key view of things. Great review!
Glad to see you enjoyed this one. Everyone loves this author so much!
I will have to remember this when I get to this point in this series to read these first before continuing the series. I am very behind and it’s taking forever to get these audios on overdrive! 🙂
Angela - Angel's Guity Pleasurs
Love this series. You are ahead of me, but I’m slowly working my way through the books. ^_^
I only have Brief Cases left to listen to ?then I will have to wait with everyone else. I need to decide what back series to tackle next..lol
I think you should tackle the Elemental Assassin series. I think you’d like it! Not sure how the audio is; since I have’t listened, but many audio blogger friends have enjoyed it that way or maybe Jane Yellowrock. Not sure if you have read that series yet.
I have not read these books or author before but I am so curious now. I love the review and format!