by Jay Kristoff
Series: Lifelike #1
Narrator: Erin Spencer
Length: 12 Hours and 27 Minutes
Genres: Science Fiction
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4.5 cups
From the coauthor of the New York Times bestselling Illuminae Files comes the first book in a new series that's part Romeo and Juliet, part Terminator, and all adrenaline.
On an island junkyard beneath a sky that glows with radiation, a deadly secret lies buried in the scrap. Seventeen-year-old Eve isn't looking for trouble--she's too busy looking over her shoulder. The robot gladiator she spent months building has been reduced to a smoking wreck, she's on the local gangster's wanted list, and the only thing keeping her grandpa alive is the money she just lost to the bookies. Worst of all, she's discovered she can somehow destroy machines with the power of her mind, and a bunch of puritanical fanatics are building a coffin her size because of it. If she's ever had a worse day, Eve can't remember it. The problem is, Eve has had a worse day--one that lingers in her nightmares and the cybernetic implant where her memories used to be. Her discovery of a handsome android named Ezekiel--called a "Lifelike" because they resemble humans--will bring her world crashing down and make her question whether her entire life is a lie. With her best friend Lemon Fresh and her robotic sidekick Cricket in tow, Eve will trek across deserts of glass, battle unkillable bots, and infiltrate towering megacities to save the ones she loves...and learn the truth about the bloody secrets of her past.
LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff is the first book in the wickedly cool science fiction fantasy series, Lifelike. This post-apocalyptic young adult tale is filled with danger, robotic gladiators, kick-ass characters, a touch of romance and a mystery that must be solved. I followed along with an ARC copy as I listened to the narrations of Erin Spencer. Buckle up cadets because Kristoff takes us on one heck of a quest before throwing us off a cliff. I need book two STAT!
Caffeinated Reasons to Read or Listen to LIFELIK3
- Wowsers! This story was intense and as I have come to find with this author, the world-building was amazing. The story centers around seventeen-year-old Eve, who survived a horrific event and lives with her ill grandfather. Eve has a cybernetic implant and builds and fights in gladiator type arenas against robotic machines. Cool right? Only Eve cannot remember all of her past and when she meets Ezekiel, she begins to question everything. The tale that unfolds was blazingly fast-paced and completely addictive with intense action scenes, battles, dangerous missions and more.
- The world Kristoff has created reminded me of other worlds with its radiation, cyber-bots, big brother, gangs, corruption and secrets. Talk about feeding your inner nerd. This post-apocalyptic world is set in the United States where robots are enslaved and life-like androids are banned. Have you seen the talking human-like robotics being developed? This story has a little of everything. Fans of Mad Max, Westwood, Fallout, Borderlands, and Terminator will want to grab this one! While this story is unique, it has a similar vibe to these stories and worlds.
- The characters and their interaction, banner and teasing were delightful. Eve’s sidekick Cricket, a tiny AI bot who made me laugh, but could be cruel. Eve, herself is fearless and kickass. She is very protective of the people in her circle and will readily fight for them. Lemon is Eve’s best friend and lives in the same home. Can I just say I adored Lemon? Hilarious! Ezekiel is a lifelike and a character I truly liked. Lifelikes have been banned for breaking the three laws.
- While the story was action-packed with plenty of twists it does feature a romance and this one pulled at my heartstrings. It is brilliantly done, swoon-worthy and made my heart flutter.
- Kristoff delivers a story of oppression, social ladders, and love. While it may be about robots it certainly felt relevant to today’s headlines. While at times it can be dark it also focuses on love and not just the romantic kind.
- If you listen to the audio, you’ll love it from the robot voices to Erin Spencer’s pacing, tone, and fantastic vocals for these characters. She really captured the emotions, intensity, and reality of this tale which only enhanced my experience.
[bctt tweet=”LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff is the first book in the wickedly cool science fiction fantasy series, Lifelike. This post-apocalyptic young adult tale was a blast on #audio #loveaudiobooks #JIAM” username=”kimbacaffeinate”]
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Tressa @ Wishful Endings
This was already on my tbr, but now I’ll have to bump it up. Maybe I’ll look at getting the audiobook version since I would probably get to it sooner that way. So glad you reviewed it! 😀
Yay. I hope you listen <3
Aj @ Read All The Things!
I’ve seen this book around, and it sounds brilliant, but I’m still on the fence about reading it. I have so many unread books sitting around. I’m not sure if I can justify getting another book and sticking it on the shelf. Great review!
I’ve felt that way. I keep a list of books I treat myself too after I’ve caught up on x amount of books <3
Kristin @ AddictedtoHEA
Put back that half a cuppa!!! It was five stars for me 😀 I was totally blown away, too. And I really didn’t think Cricket was cruel, just more honest than most “people’ (?).
LOL, I gotta leave room for book two. Yeah she told it exactly like she saw it!!
Love Jay Kristoff and his Stormdancer. Have been waiting for this book! His awesome world building draws you in a nd I love his characters. Great review! ♥️
I’ve only read the ILLUMINAE Files and this. I will be work on his the backlist!
I am not kidding you when I say I had my mouse on this one today to buy it and stopped myself because I just got a bunch of historicals from amazon…Ughhh, I think I might get it anyway. Loved your review and I just want to read this one!
I’ve enjoyed The Lotus War series by this author but have yet to go on to his other series. This series sounds great and exciting.
I’ve read the Illuminae Files but need to start working on his backlist.
Kim @Book Swoon
I’m definitely excited about this new series and can’t wait to grab it up. I really enjoyed the Nevernight series and hope this one is just as fantastic.
I really need to listen to Nevernight.
The Orangutan Librarian
Glad this was so good!! I’m really looking forward to it- fantastic review!
Happy reading or listening. It was epic!
Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books
This book sounds great, Kimberly! I think that I will have to go with the audio version when I pick it up. Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did.
Yes! I look forward to your take on it. Did you read King’s new book? I listened and it was so good.
Aleen @ Lampshade Reader
I love how this one sounds! Great review.
It was wonderful. Thanks, Aleen.
Suzanne @ The Bookish Libra
Yay, I’m so glad you loved this book too! I thought it was just brilliant. Lemon was my favorite but I really loved the whole cast of characters.
I loved Lemon 🙂
Tyler H. Jolley
You know I love a book with deep world building! This sounds right up my alley. And I just visited Ali’s blog, so I almost spelled alley “Ali.” Lololololol. Yeah, it’s defiantly the end of the day.
I feel ya. The Royals just left and Nonna is ready for a glass of wine.
Angie @ Ba_BAMB
This sounds really good. The only I’ve read that sounds even a bit similar is The Lunar Chronicles.
Totally different, but equally cool 🙂
This definitely appears to be a more enjoyable “listen to” than read. Thanks for the post.
Not necessarily but the audio certainly enhanced my experience.
I am eagerly awaiting an audiobook copy from my library. I love Kristoff. He is bad ass. I can’t wait to check out this robot world.
Sweet and yes he is badass!
Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts
Glad you enjoyed this one! I agree though, most of the books I’ve read (ahem Illuminae Files) have fantastic world building so it’s no surprised that Kristoff continues being great at workd building. ?
Right. He is brilly when it comes to the world
I believe you when he’s good at world building. I read Nevernight and hot damn there was so much detail all over the place and squished into the book.
May I ask…is it b/c of your new format/settings/platform that if I had commented on your blog once already, I still need to input everything in again? Usually before, if I hadn’t cleared my browser history, my 411 would show up in the boxes already.
Now that is one I need to read/listen to 🙂
Yes, I am noticing that on all the blogs that are compliant..even the ones that say check to remember your info…lol However, my own browser pops up a suggestion as soon as I type the first letter of form.
Oh wow, that sounds so good.
It was. Thanks, Mary!
Ack! I have not even tried him yet!
I’ve never read a solo Jay book but I really want to! I think this one sounds like a great read – and I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it.
Yay. I hope you grab it!
Christy loved this as well and I definitely want to check it out. Hopefully it isn’t too…I don’t know sci fi for me. I don’t know, either way I want to see what all the fuss is about. 😉
Very readable ..you should do fine.
Oh I was acutally really curious about this one so I’m happy to hear that it was a great one!
Sweet! I hope you grab it and devour it soon!
Wow Kim, this one sounds right up my alley so I’m going to speak to my inner nerd and order the audible edition. I mean what’s not to love a cyber, implanted Juliet. Yes please 🙂
Exactly my friend!
Yep, I’m getting this come hell or high water. 🙂 Maybe I’ll edge it closer to the release of book two with that ending.
Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with cliffies but its all good!
so glad to see you did this on audio I feel like it be amazing on audio 😀 so I am excited to try it
Woot! Cannot wait to see what you think 🙂
Kay @ It's a Book Life
I can’t wait to read this!!!! I love this author and I am even more excited to hear about the romance and the banter as well. I am thinking I should try this one on audio… Thanks for the review!
The audio completely rocked!
Can you believe I still have to read the Illuminae Files? . . . For shame, Silvia, I know! *sobs* Anyway, you had me at part Romeo and Juliet, part Terminator! I’ll be sure to actually read this and see what I can do about the other series as well!
Ahhhh…I love the Illuminae Files but confession…I bought the final book and still need to read it…LOL
Jay Kristoff with a l33t title! sold just take my money
This one keeps getting rave reviews! Not a fan of the dystopian genre, but his worldbuilding always gets mentioned, so I am thinking I should give one of his a try at some point!
His worldbuilding is brilly!
I have bee seeing this one around, sounds fantastic. However, I am not sure it is for me not a sci fan unless it is in movie format. ☺
It is very readable and totally engaging. See if your library has it and just try dipping your toes in it.