by Tessa Dare
Series: Girl Meets Duke #1
Genres: Historical Romance
When girl meets Duke, their marriage breaks all the rules…
Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury’s to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne’er-do-wells by night. Now there’s a new item on the list. He needs an heir—which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she’ll do.
His terms are simple:
- They will be husband and wife by night only.
- No lights, no kissing.
- No questions about his battle scars.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again.
But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own:
- They will have dinner together every evening.
- With conversation.
- And unlimited teasing.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s seen the man beneath the scars, he can’t stop her from falling in love…
I adore Tessa Dare and her stories. THE DUCHESS DEAL is the first in her new series Girl Meets Duke and holy smokes this was hot. A damaged Duke, a Vicor’s daughter and a tale filled with snark, humor, heat and delicious page melting heat.
Coffee dates with The Duchess Deal
- First Date: I sat down after dinner with my coffee, which by the way grew cold as I slipped into this tale. The Duke is home after healing from a war injury that has left him badly scarred. His estate is in disarray, and he realizes he is need of an heir. He’s at his desk when a young female arrives at his door wearing a gaudy wedding dress…. and thus our tale begins. Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress comes to demand payment for the dress his ex-fiance ordered and straight away I loved her. The Duke of Ashbury decides she will do and offers her marriage or the money she is owed. She thinks him mad. I am hooked. Completely hooked.
- Second Date: Their chemistry is electric, which made all the deals and negotiations and lackluster ceremony all the more delightful. Humor, staff meddling, and an obnoxious cat provided entertainment. I loved this beauty and the beast courtship. The arrangement trope is one of my favorites and Dare breathed new life into it. When Emma tried to come up with a term of endearment to call the Duke, I laughed until my eyes filled with tears. His reactions were priceless. I confess I have tried them all out on my husband. I am afraid he fears he has done something wrong and I giggle at his baffled expressions. I loved the way that the awkward moments between them gave way to heat and slowly something more.
- Third Date: The ex, miscommunication and a stubborn Duke caused some issues, but even as I wanted to thrash him, I couldn’t help but fall for this sweet, damaged, idiot of a man. Thankfully his butler did the job for me. Emma was adventurous, and it gave way to some hilarious moments. Dare delivered plenty of side threads that aided in our understanding of both characters and added both humor and adventure. I adored the ladies across the way and wanted all of their stories. I think this is the steamiest novel for Dare yet and it was absolutely scrumptious. She mixed boldness, surprise, humor and sensual moments into a passionate tale. I loved how she developed their relationship from an arrangement to more. I ended my dates with Ash and Emma with a smile and a fantastic book high.
“What about precious?” She suggested.
In response to that, he hit the shuttlecock so hard, it sailed all the way to the back wall and thwacked one of his ancestors right in the powdered wig.
She cheered. “Well done, my precious, angel muffin.”
Heat, humor and deliciously wicked banter make THE DUCHESS DEAL a must read.I devoured The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare and loved every steamy, humorous and tender scene . Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.