by Tessa Dare
Series: Girl Meets Duke #1
Genres: Historical Romance
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
When girl meets Duke, their marriage breaks all the rules…
Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury’s to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne’er-do-wells by night. Now there’s a new item on the list. He needs an heir—which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she’ll do.
His terms are simple:
- They will be husband and wife by night only.
- No lights, no kissing.
- No questions about his battle scars.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again.
But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own:
- They will have dinner together every evening.
- With conversation.
- And unlimited teasing.
- Last, and most importantly… Once she’s seen the man beneath the scars, he can’t stop her from falling in love…
I adore Tessa Dare and her stories. THE DUCHESS DEAL is the first in her new series Girl Meets Duke and holy smokes this was hot. A damaged Duke, a Vicor’s daughter and a tale filled with snark, humor, heat and delicious page melting heat.
Coffee dates with The Duchess Deal
- First Date: I sat down after dinner with my coffee, which by the way grew cold as I slipped into this tale. The Duke is home after healing from a war injury that has left him badly scarred. His estate is in disarray, and he realizes he is need of an heir. He’s at his desk when a young female arrives at his door wearing a gaudy wedding dress…. and thus our tale begins. Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress comes to demand payment for the dress his ex-fiance ordered and straight away I loved her. The Duke of Ashbury decides she will do and offers her marriage or the money she is owed. She thinks him mad. I am hooked. Completely hooked.
- Second Date: Their chemistry is electric, which made all the deals and negotiations and lackluster ceremony all the more delightful. Humor, staff meddling, and an obnoxious cat provided entertainment. I loved this beauty and the beast courtship. The arrangement trope is one of my favorites and Dare breathed new life into it. When Emma tried to come up with a term of endearment to call the Duke, I laughed until my eyes filled with tears. His reactions were priceless. I confess I have tried them all out on my husband. I am afraid he fears he has done something wrong and I giggle at his baffled expressions. I loved the way that the awkward moments between them gave way to heat and slowly something more.
- Third Date: The ex, miscommunication and a stubborn Duke caused some issues, but even as I wanted to thrash him, I couldn’t help but fall for this sweet, damaged, idiot of a man. Thankfully his butler did the job for me. Emma was adventurous, and it gave way to some hilarious moments. Dare delivered plenty of side threads that aided in our understanding of both characters and added both humor and adventure. I adored the ladies across the way and wanted all of their stories. I think this is the steamiest novel for Dare yet and it was absolutely scrumptious. She mixed boldness, surprise, humor and sensual moments into a passionate tale. I loved how she developed their relationship from an arrangement to more. I ended my dates with Ash and Emma with a smile and a fantastic book high.
“What about precious?” She suggested.
In response to that, he hit the shuttlecock so hard, it sailed all the way to the back wall and thwacked one of his ancestors right in the powdered wig.
She cheered. “Well done, my precious, angel muffin.”
Heat, humor and deliciously wicked banter make THE DUCHESS DEAL a must read.
[bctt tweet=” I devoured The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare and loved every steamy, humorous and tender scene . ” username=”kimbacaffeinate”]
Yeeees! I loved this, too! It was so cute and endearing and I just adored the nicknames! Glad this was a 5 star read for you, too! Great review, Kim!
Woot! So many loved this one as well. I am happy to hear you were one of them!
This book had me at “brooding hero” LOL Gleaning from your review, I can tell it’s an angsty historical romance, which I love. And which to me is when you have a stubborn hero that needs his ass handed to him by close friends. 😀 Great review Kimba! 🙂
It was all rather quite fun Aleen. I hope you grab it 🙂
WOW! This book is definitely on the “to buy” list! Thanks for the post.
Enjoy Angela. Apparently, I am not the only one who loved it. I am seeing a lot of five-star reviews.
I think this is one of my favorite Tessa Dare books ever, and your review perfectly captures all the things I loved about it. 🙂
YES! I am so glad you felt the same way.
I loved this one, too! The meddling staff had me in stitches, and so did the nicknames. I loved everything about this story. I can’t wait for more from this series!
Great review. 🙂
I want them all now…lol
LOL Me, too! 🙂
Oh, this does sound fun.. I love how you describe this pair and their situation. Fun quote!
They were so much fun, Sophia.
Dare is always good
The book must have been good if you let your coffee get cold.
Bwahaha..right. That never happens.
Well you certainly sold me! I just went and bought it and can’t wait to dive in, sooner rather than later
Wahoooo!!! I hope you have as much fun with it as I did!
That sounds quite good and this is an author I haven’t read yet.
Her books are always such fun Mary.
Geybie's Book Blog
I’ve been eyeing this book and just added it on my latest news. Now, I’m curious about it.
Awesome review! ❤️
*whispers* read it, Geybie.
This sounds like such a great book! I haven’t read Tessa Dare yet but I am going to see if I can get a copy of this one from the library. That cover is gorgeous and everyone seems to be loving the story. Great review!
Hopefully, they have it. Her books are simply wonderful!
One day I will try all these fabulous historical authors everyone raves about.
Yes, you need to. Her books are such fun!
Tessa Dare is the best, isn’t she? I am really excited to read this one. I have the audio and can’t wait to jump in. Glad you enjoyed it!
This should be awesome on audio!
I did a silent chuckle when I read the quote. Good one.
Right. It still makes me giggle.
Kim what a great first, runaway bride, scene. She is one I haven’t read. Maybe its time to go back to historical romance and give it another try. Thanks for the super review
Ooo you need to fix that stat, my friend!
Now this is truly different, and very intriguing. I must find out more what happens and read the book!
I hope you do Rosie. Dare is such a fun author to read.
Oh my! I love the sound of this one. Haven’t read anything from Tessa Dare but I’m hoping I have at least one in my TBR right now. Great review Kim 🙂
Perfect first book Vanessa!
The quote was hilarious. I see why you enjoyed the book.
Hehehe..it was such a fun story.
would love to see precious angel muffin getting a thrashing by the loyal butler. they don’t make butlers like that anymore these days
Bwahaha, it was delightful!
Jenea's Book Obsession
This sounds utterly delightful! I do love when you get so into a book that when a character dose something you don’t like you just want to thump in the head or something. Hehe. I’ve had a few of those. Wonderful review Kim.
I do too, and these characters were delightful!