by Amanda Bouchet
Series: Kingmaker Chronicles #1
Narrator: Mia Barron
Length: 14 hours and 45 minutes
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…
Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.
I listened to A Promise of Fire the first book in the Kingmaker Chronicles written by Amanda Bouchet and narrated by Mia Barron. It was brilliant, addictive, funny, and romantic. I need more of these characters and world.
I want to just squeal, and shout read this, but I know that won’t truly help you, so here are some reasons.
Caffeinated reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to A Promise of Fire:
- You love strong, kick-ass heroines who are destined for greatness despite their reluctance. Catalia “Cat” Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant who can tell when someone lies. She can absorb and reuse your magic and more. She is known as a Kingmaker, and is coveted by those in power. Cat is hiding, at the circus, and doing everything in her power to avoid being discovered. After escaping the tortures of her seriously demented, evil-mother, she only wants to live free. Cat is witty, brave and filled with snark. I loved her inner banter and her quick-witted remarks.
“I’ve known all sorts of fear – fear of pain, fear of discovery, fear of capture. This is new. This is the kind of fear that teaches me the difference between trying to stay alive, and wanting to live.”
- You love fantasy from the magic to the different realms and mythical beasts but you do not want multiple perspectives, different storylines and two hundred and fifty characters to keep track of. The world in Kingmaker Chronicles offers a world that reminds me of King Arthur’s time with kingdoms and classes. Now shake in magic, Greek mythology and supernatural creatures.
“Maybe I’ll trust him to fight my monsters while I sleep. Maybe I don’t have a choice.
His voice is fierce in my ear. “You’re mine now, Cat. Don’t you dare die on me.”
- The rules for magic are simple, you are born with it or you are not. Of course, some are more powerful and the magic is different for all. There are gods, and these all come from our Greek mythology providing familiarity. In the Kingmaker Chronicles there are three kingdoms Fisa, Tarva, & Sinta. A Promise of Fire takes place in the kingdom of Sinta where the non-magical Hoi Polloi have overthrown the magical Magoi royals.
“Eyes like Poseidon’s wrath-stormy, gray, intense- the kind of eyes that hold you there.”
- The Warlord Beta Sinta “Griffin” is seeking a magoi to aid his kingdom when he discovers Cat. he asks her to go with him, when she refuses he abducts her. With the help of neighbors to the south, Beta Sinta removed the corrupt regime in his land and placed his sister on the throne. This confounds Cat and you will love discovering the why of it all.
“Never in a billion suns. Not even if Zeus showed up as a swan and tried to peck me in your direction. I wouldn’t go with you even if my other option was Hades dragging me to the Underworld for an eternal threesome with Persephone.”
- You love a Kate and Curran (characters from Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews) type romance filled with snark, undeniable chemistry, stubbornness, laughter and heat. Oh lordy this haters to lovers romance was sheer delight. While this started out as an abduction, Griffin was honorable and patient. I know, I know but just go with me on this. As the tale unfolded we discover he is not only ruggedly handsome but of noble character. At times Cat’s strong personality outshines his, and I look forward to getting to know him more.
“I conquered a kingdom and found a treasure.” His voice turns gravelly, low. “I won’t let you go. Not now. Not ever.”
- You love action, adventure, deception, scheming and more. Oh the battles were brilliant and sometimes, more often than not four against many. Giants, creatures, and oh yes my friends DRAGONS! Bouchet brought the world to life providing vivid imagery. She keeping the flow of the story moving at a steady pace with burst of action that had me holding my breath. Then she added a health dose of romantic moments that made me gigglesnort and swoon.
“Hades, Hera, and Hestia!” Flynn curses, pointing up.
“What in the Underworld is that?”
“A She-Dragon.” Everyone turns to me, and as much as I love having four handsome men gape at me in stupefaction, right now, I could do without.”
- Secondary characters that are fleshed out, humorous and unique make you giddy. Wait until you meet Kato, Flynn and Carver. The banter and interaction between Beta Sinta, Cat and these three men was wonderfully addictive. I loved the Beta Sinta’s sisters, a certain healer, the Gods and more.
“Have I cheated death again? Hades must be allergic to me.”
- Mia Barron narrates and was completely new to me. I wasn’t sure at first, but honestly I cannot image Cat without her. She captured the snark and tone of Cat’s character from her inner dialogue to her struggle with feelings over Griffin and her own fears of discovery. Her male voices were discernible for each character and I am looking forward to her continuing this series.
“Happiness is a strange, frightening, fragile feeling when you’re not used to it.”
A Promise of Fire was brilliant and addictive with characters I want to spend more time with. Fans of Ilona Andrews will adore this snark filled tale and romance. Fourteen hours wasn’t nearly enough and I cannot wait for Breath of Fire. It releases January 2017.
Listen to a sample: A Promise of FireA Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet was an addictive listen with adventure, humor and romance Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone