Narrated by the author herself, Thank You for Listening by Julia Whelan delivered a heartfelt, romantic women’s fiction story with characters you’ll remember long after the audio ends….
by Julia Whelan
Narrator: Julia Whelan
Length: 11 hours and 16 minutes
Genres: Women's Fiction
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups Speed: 1.3x
From the author of My Oxford Year, Julia Whelan’s uplifting novel tells the story of a former actress turned successful audiobook narrator—who has lost sight of her dreams after a tragic accident—and her journey of self-discovery, love, and acceptance when she agrees to narrate one last romance novel.
For Sewanee Chester, being an audiobook narrator is a long way from her old dreams, but the days of being a star on film sets are long behind her. She’s found success and satisfaction from the inside of a sound booth and it allows her to care for her beloved, ailing grandmother. When she arrives in Las Vegas last-minute for a book convention, Sewanee unexpectedly spends a whirlwind night with a charming stranger.
On her return home, Sewanee discovers one of the world’s most beloved romance novelists wanted her to perform her last book—with Brock McNight, the industry’s hottest, most secretive voice. Sewanee doesn’t buy what romance novels are selling—not after her own dreams were tragically cut short—and she stopped narrating them years ago. But her admiration of the late author, and the opportunity to get her grandmother more help, makes her decision for her.
As Sewanee begins work on the book, resurrecting her old romance pseudonym, she and Brock forge a real connection, hidden behind the comfort of anonymity. Soon, she is dreaming again, but secrets are revealed, and the realities of life come crashing down around her once more.
If she can learn to risk everything for desires she has long buried, she will discover a world of intimacy and acceptance she never believed would be hers.
I adored Whelan’s debut My Oxford Year which tugged at my emotions, so naturally, I was eager to listen to Thank You For Listening. In this romantic women’s fiction Sewanee Chester, an award-winning narrator who gave up a promising acting career after a tragic accident, returns to the romance genre where her audiobook career began. Reluctantly, but it’s a journey that will change her. Sewanee is flawed, stubborn and genuine. I adored her and quickly slipped into the story.
5 Reasons to Listen to Thank You For Listening
- The Characters– Whelan’s characters are complex, multi-dimensional and love them or hate them, you’ll connect. Sewanee began her narrating career in the romance genre and was successful before moving on to other genres. Romance isn’t her jam. Call her jaded if you must, but she doesn’t believe in the happily ever after thing. When her friend needs her to fill in at an audio convention, she does it. Her relationship with her grandmother and feelings towards relationships tugged at my heartstrings. Brock McNight, the sultry voice behind so many romance novels, hides himself. Besties, friends, business associates, and family added depth as secondary characters.
- The Romance – While the story falls more towards women’s fiction, the hook-up at the convention and the buildup to the romance through email & text conversations will all leave you swooning. I was so eager for their meet and worried it wouldn’t happen. This one is a slow build and delicious.
- Conflicts & Character Growth– From the care of the elderly to finding yourself, Whelan explores many topics through her characters. It’s raw, honest, enlightening and completely captures the listener.
- The Narration – Julia Whelan was/is one of my favorite female narrators from Stephen King’s horror to fantasy she brings her A game. These are her words and characters, so she gets them and that transferred directly to the listener.
- The Story – From what drew these characters together to their baggage, the story had depth. The plot was tightly written. Whelan peeled back these characters’ layers and build up a romance with sizzling chemistry and friendship that felt genuine.
I highly recommend you grab your earbuds and listen to Thank You for Listening. Brilliantly done, Ms. Whelan.Thank You for Listening by Julia Whelan was pure bliss on audio. #Romance #WomensFiction #Audiobook #AudiobookReview #NewRelease Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: