by Sherry Thomas
Series: Lady Sherlock #3
Narrator: Kate Reading
Length: 10 hours and 51 minutes
Genres: Historical Fiction, Mystery
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Narration: 5 cups
Charlotte Holmes, Lady Sherlock, returns in the Victorian-set mystery series from the USA Today bestselling author of A Conspiracy in Belgravia and A Study in Scarlet Women, an NPR Best Book of 2016.
Under the cover of Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective, Charlotte Holmes puts her extraordinary powers of deduction to good use. Aided by the capable Mrs. Watson, Charlotte draws those in need to her and makes it her business to know what other people don't.
Moriarty's shadow looms large. First, Charlotte's half brother disappears. Then, Lady Ingram, the estranged wife of Charlotte's close friend Lord Ingram, turns up dead on his estate. And all signs point to Lord Ingram as the murderer.
With Scotland Yard closing in, Charlotte goes under disguise to seek out the truth. But uncovering the truth could mean getting too close to Lord Ingram-and a number of malevolent forces.
This series is brilliant. One of my favorite Sherlock Holmes retellings EVER! The Hollow of Fear by Sherry Thomas is the third book in the Lady Sherlock series. I picked up all three audiobook versions, and FINALLY in November listened to them all for a challenge. I am still kicking myself for waiting. Grab a cup of Christmas coffee while I fangirl and demand that you acquire these titles post haste!
A well-honed mysteries, a delicious slow burning romance and brilliant characters made this audio and the entire Lady Sherlock series one of personal favorites this year. I laughed, became engaged in solving the mystery and most of all swooning, enjoying and loving this cast of characters.
I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan and over the years I’ve read my share of retellings. I’ve also watched all the movie and the tv adaptations. Sherry Thomas’s take on this iconic character and books is among my favorite.
For those considering the story/series I recommend reading or listening in the order of their release. While each holds its own case to be solved, the overall arcs and character development scream to be read in order.
- In The Hollow of Fear, Charlotte must investigate her toughest case thus far. Lord Ingram is suspected of murdering Lady Ingram when she is found dead in the ice building of their estate. The mystery that unfolded was so clever that even I was astounded when all was revealed.
- We meet a new character, Sherringford Holmes, supposed brother of the ailing Sherlock Holmes and suspiciously shaped like Charlotte Holmes. *winks* I loved every moment.
- We spend quite a bit of time with Lord Ingram, a favorite character of mine since the beginning of this series. He really has gotten him into quite the mess, and all evidence supports he is involved. It was exciting seeing Charlotte work to solve the mystery and of course clear the devilishly handsome Lord Ingram.
- Secondary characters like Mrs. Watson and Charlotte’s sister Livia added interesting side-threads. I loved that we got to know Livia more.
- We see movement in the slow-burning romance, and I loved every moment of it. The way Charlotte’s mind works combined with her forward, logical thinking adding some humor in addition to tender, romantic encounters.
- As a parent of a child with Asperger’s I feel comfortable around Charlotte and while some find her thinking unconventional or shocking I can only nod my head.
The Hollow of Fear was my favorite listen to date, Kate Reading narrates the series and beautifully captures Charlotte many sides. I could not imagine listening to the series without her. Each character has a distinct voice and she enhances the tone, mystery and pacing of this brilliant story.The Hollow of Fear by Sherry Thomas was my favorite listen to date, Kate Reading narrates the series and beautifully captures Charlotte many sides. #loveaudiobooks Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.