by Stephen King
Narrator: Will Patton
Length: 18 hours and 39 minutes
Genres: Horror, Mystery
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups
An unspeakable crime. A confounding investigation. At a time when the King brand has never been stronger, he has delivered one of his most unsettling and compulsively readable stories.
An eleven-year-old boy’s violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City’s most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. Their case seems ironclad.
As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King’s propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can.
The Outsider by Stephen King was an intense and creeptastic tale that renewed my faith in King, The audiobook narrated by Will Patton, drew me in as a man with a rock-solid alibi finds himself accused of a heinous crime.
I am a longtime fan of Stephen King and can recall reading his works as a prepubescent adolescent by flashlight. From The Shining to Lawnmower man and works he did with Peter Straub, King has long accompanied me on my reading journey. Last year Sleeping Beauties was an utter failure for me and I went into The Outsider with apprehension. It wasn’t necessary; I was hooked within the first chapter and King delivered all the elements I love about his books.
Five Reasons to Grab your Headphones and Listen to The Outsider
- The quiet town of Flint City is rocked when a stellar member of their community is arrested for a heinous crime involving the violated and murder of an eleven-year-old boy. Eyewitness accounts and DNA evidence place him at the scene. However, family man, Terry Maitland, a little league coach, and popular English teacher has an alibi. Is he a clever killer or is something else at play? Chilling right? The Outsider had so many elements that draw me to Stephen King again and again. The man can spin a story and his characters though flawed become real. While I am no longer that little girl reading King by flashlight he still makes me believe in the impossible and hear things go bump in the night.
- Detective Ralph Anderson, orders a quick and very public arrest. As Maitland continues to claim his innocence, Anderson struggles. His got tells him this man who once coached his son is telling the truth. But DNA evidence doesn’t lie or does it? Anderson continues to investigate even though the DA says they’ve got their man. Twists, turns and discoveries held me spellbound.
- King wove a brilliant tapestry of uncertainty, mystery, magic and folklore as the narrative unfolded. His characters are complex, flawed and realistic. He tapped into morality, disbelief and guilt. The public arrest of Maitland sits heavy on Anderson’s chest.
- Holly, Holly, Holly! Fans of the Mr. Mercedes series *raises a hand and shouts ME!* will be excited to see Holly Gibney, Bill Hodges’ assistant become involved in the case. Her storyline and how it tangles and joins with Anderson’s was superb, creeptastic and all King.
- Will Patton narrates and has done several of King’s novels. I admire this narrator. Seriously, he could recite the phone book and I would remain attentive listening. His voices soothes even as he makes the hair on the back of your neck rise delivering the low suspenseful build up King is famous for. He gives each character a unique and identifiable voice and captures their emotions. Through tone he creates an addition layer of suspense and fear.
The Outsider combined suspense, a murder-mystery and lore to deliver a spine-tingling tale you won’t soon forget!Grab your earbuds and travel to Flint City as Stephen King shares his newest spine-tingling tale THE OUTSIDER. Will Patton delivers a brilliant narration. Top 10 #Audio Favorite for 2018 #JIAM #loveaudiobooks Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: