by Jennifer Hillier
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
This is the story of three best friends: one who was murdered, one who went to prison, and one who's been searching for the truth all these years . . .
When she was sixteen years old, Angela Wong—one of the most popular girls in school—disappeared without a trace. Nobody ever suspected that her best friend, Georgina Shaw, now an executive and rising star at her Seattle pharmaceutical company, was involved in any way. Certainly not Kaiser Brody, who was close with both girls back in high school.
But fourteen years later, Angela Wong's remains are discovered in the woods near Geo's childhood home. And Kaiser—now a detective with Seattle PD—finally learns the truth: Angela was a victim of Calvin James. The same Calvin James who murdered at least three other women.
To the authorities, Calvin is a serial killer. But to Geo, he's something else entirely. Back in high school, Calvin was Geo's first love. Turbulent and often volatile, their relationship bordered on obsession from the moment they met right up until the night Angela was killed.
For fourteen years, Geo knew what happened to Angela and told no one. For fourteen years, she carried the secret of Angela's death until Geo was arrested and sent to prison.
While everyone thinks they finally know the truth, there are dark secrets buried deep. And what happened that fateful night is more complex and more chilling than anyone really knows. Now the obsessive past catches up with the deadly present when new bodies begin to turn up, killed in the exact same manner as Angela Wong.
How far will someone go to bury her secrets and hide her grief? How long can you get away with a lie? How long can you live with it?
Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier gives readers a suspenseful standalone thriller. It is the perfect read to pack for the beach. Fast-paced with plenty of twists you’ll devour this shocking and engaging tale.
Trigger Warning: View Spoiler »This book contains violence against women, murder, the murder of children and rape. While, none of the scenes are graphic it might affect those with sensitivity to such matters. « Hide Spoiler
Caffeinated reasons to toss Jar of Hearts into your Beach Bag
- Jar of Hearts is a well-crafted story with a believability that makes events even more chilling. At its heart, it shares the story of three best friends. Someone murdered one, one had great success and one lost both and hasn’t stopped searching for the truth. The story moves between two timelines but all surround Geo Shaw as she shares events that occurred when she was sixteen and fourteen years later. (present timeline)
- For fourteen years Geo has kept a secret, but that all changes when she is arrested in connection to her best friend’s murder. Geo’s then-boyfriend, Calvin James murdered Angela Wong and killed three more known victims. For fourteen years Geo remained silent. Kaiser Brody, now a Seattle detective makes the arrests.
- Through Geo, we witness her testimony and learn the details of what happened during her sixteenth year. Hillier fleshes out Geo in such a way you hate her. feel sorry for her, root for her and become caught up in learning all the details. We spent time in prison getting to know her and Hillier held nothing back. Geo is clever and smart and she uses those skills to survive her five-year sentence. At times, Geo’s personality seemed aloof, and I knew she wasn’t being honest. Despite knowing this, I couldn’t help but like her.
- While everyone thinks they know what happened that fateful spring, we as the reader understand Geo is keeping secrets and want to unearth them. The suspense was so thick I could taste it and with each twist; it shocked me.
- While I pieced things together and knew what the outcome would be this was one heck of an addictive read.
Secrets betrayal, murder, and heart-pounding suspense await you in Jar of Hearts.
[bctt tweet=”Looking for a fast-paced, suspenseful thriller for your beach bag this summer? Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier delivered a suspenseful standalone thriller you won’t be able to set down. #NewRelease #mustread” username=”kimbacaffeinate”]
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
I didn’t realize that this was a Canadian author! I’ll have to see if my library has this book.
I hope they do Darlene!
I like the cover. It is the type of thing I often like to read. I don’t always like the time jump back and forth between then and now. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
With this story the back and forth worked wonderfully.
I definitely want to read this one. It sounds like a suspenseful read for sure!!
Yay! I hope you enjoy it Lauren.
Love this review. I love an intense thrilling read. YES, I just clicked to get it! =)
Awesome! I cannot wait to hear your thoughts.
Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books
I thought about picking this one up when it was offered on NetGalley and didn’t think I could fit it into my schedule. It really does sound like one that I think I would like. Glad you enjoyed it!
Yep, total impulse click for me, but I am glad that I did. It is s fast read Carole.
Katherine @ I Wish I Lived in a Library
Oh this sounds good! I can definitely see why it was an addictive read. Just reading the blurb I wanted to find out what happened!
It was Katherine. I hope you are able to add it to your TBR pile.
She is arrested that much later!? Yikes, better spill those secrets
Oh it was all quite addictive. I needed all the answers!
Wow! This sounds like a great suspense read. Thanks for the post.
It really was. I hope you add it Angela.
Oh yes I saw this one around a lot
I am glad it is getting some attention.
Oh yeah, this sounds like one for me. Must know why she never told what happened. 🙂
This is totally your kind of read!
Ooh, those are all great reasons to throw this book in my review. On my list it goes, thanks for the post Kim!
Woot! I will of course look forward to your thoughts.
Rita @ View From the Books
Ooh, intense! Yes, I want it– right up my alley. I like the type of stories when the MCs grow up and change and keep secrets. I just finished Nora Roberts’ Shelter in Place and that follows the same type of premise. Thanks for sharing this one!
Love Roberts. I hope you are able to grab this one Rita!
Crystal @Lost in Storyland
This sounds like a really intense read! I’m not usually a crime/thriller reader, but I’m interested in checking this one out! 🙂
I think it’s definitely worth a try Crystal
Angie @ Ba_BAMB
WOW! I love the premise for this book, especially the complex character that Geo seems to be. I’m adding to my to be read list.
Sweet. Happy reading Angie.
Tanya @ Girl Plus Books
Wow, the synopsis alone totally grabbed me and has me dying to know what’s going on. It sounds like Geo is a well-developed, multi-layered character – always a bonus. I’m so intrigued by this one! Great review, Kim!
Thanks Tanya. I hope you give it a go!
This book was so messed up but so fun too. Glad you liked it as well Kim!
oh I have this one pre-ordered. I can’t wait to read it. So very excited. Glad you loved it. I love the dual timelines stories. I feel this is the best way to build the mystery and the suspense. great review.
Yes, when done right I love the way they unfold.
Debbie Haupt - The Reading Frenzy
I have this on my shelf looks like I’m up for a sleepless night once I open the pages. Thanks Kim fantastic review and thanks for the warning. Although I can usually read this type of thriller I do have to be in a good place.
Ha. yes, once you begin the outside world is lost!
I want to read rhis. It soumds intense and thriling, my kind of story
I loved that is was fast-paced and just pulled you in,
Jenea’s Book Obsession
Yay, I’m so glad you enjoyed this. It was such an intense read.
I completely agree 🙂