by Milly Taiden
Series: Shifter Undercover #1
Narrator: Lauren Sweet
Length: 5 hours and 46 minutes
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 2 cups
For vet and animal whisperer Charli Avers, talking to bears is all in a day’s work. But when she finds a man—a very sexy, very alpha man—where a bear ought to be, the wild comes close to home. Charli is drawn to this mysterious stranger. She wants to help him piece together the past he can’t remember—even if that means shedding her human misgivings and embracing her more carnal desires.
After shifting from bear to man, Barry believes he’s finally found his mate. Now he just needs to find himself. He doesn’t know much about the animal within him, but his human heart aches for Charli. She ignites his instincts to protect her from all danger—including their electric attraction.
The stakes climb as Charli investigates the mystery behind Barry’s memory loss and how it may relate to strange sightings and thefts in this little corner of Oregon. Without answers, she may lose Barry—and herself—to the wild side forever.
I enjoy paranormal romance and shifter books. I’ve read mostly wolf books, so the premise of Bearly in Control written by Milly Taiden had me curious. The first in the Shifter Undercover series it promised mystery and heated romance. Sadly this listen fell short for me. Reviews for the title are mixed, so be sure and read other opinions.
- I liked that Charli Avers is a vet and animal whisper. Just by touching an animal she can hear it’s thoughts.
- The small mountain town setting with its picturesque views, rivers and large shifter population appealed to me.
- A Sexy Bear Shifter with amnesia. Yum!
- The first in the Shifter Undercover series. I like that the series/story has a mystery or case to solve.
- The sex scenes were well written.
- The characters were sadly cliche and lacked depth.
- I didn’t realize this was a novella, but it truly hurt the story. Relationships developed far too quickly leaving me emotionally disconnected.
- While I stated the sex was hot, I had two issues. The story takes place over maybe 72 hours. Despite overturned cars, bullets and danger it felt like there were more sex scenes than storyline. I get physical lust and attraction, but this one heated up way to fast. I know there was the “mate bond,” but the intimacy didn’t allow for a progression of trust to build. View Spoiler »Lube and handcuffs in the first 24 hours. « Hide Spoiler
- The criminal mystery regarding Barry and the thread regarding his amnesia were not clearly resolved. This dangling case surprised me. Typically the current conflict is resolved, and the author leaves us waiting for answers regarding the overall series ARC. In Bearly in Control, the only thing answered and shakily at best is whether or not Barry is a criminal. But it was flimsy and left me deeply unsatisfied.
- Lauren Sweet, the narrator, has a pleasant enough voice but all of the female characters sounded like they were members of Barbie’s cheerleading squad. The voices only made the sappy, cliche dialogue more pronounced.
While Bearly in Control offered a hot romance and sexy bear shifter, it didn’t deliver on the overall story and lacked the depth desired from this reader.