by Aleatha Romig
Series: The Light #1
Narrator: Kevin T. Collins, Erin deWard, Noah Michael Levine
Length: 13 hours and 17 minutes
Genres: Suspense thriller
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Narration: 4 cups
Sara Adams awakes blind, unable to remember the most basic details of her life, but her darkness seems a blessing when she discovers the terrors of The Light.
Stella Montgomery investigates the news from the mean streets of Detroit, where she's noticed a disturbing trend: Young women are vanishing. When her best friend disappears, Stella digs for answers - despite warnings from her police detective boyfriend - following a twisted trail that leads her through the city's most dangerous and forsaken precincts. There she uncovers something more sinister than she could have imagined: a shadowy organization known as The Light, led by the enigmatic Father Gabriel.
As Sara struggles to understand her place in the strange world she's awakened to - an oppressive cult demanding unquestioning obedience - and her feelings for Jacob, the husband she can't recall and whose harsh and tender attentions confuse and beguile her, Stella risks all to discover the truth. But enlightenment always comes with a price....
Into the Light written by Aleatha Romig, is the first novel in The Light series a dark mystery thriller surrounding a cult, murder and missing woman. After Braine @ Talk Supe introduced me to the series, I was delighted to be able to review the audiobook. Narrated by Kevin T. Collins, Erin deWard and Noah Michael Levine, Aleatha Romig took me on one heck of a thrilling ride.
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to Into the Light
- Into the Light delivered a twisted tale of manipulation, forbidden passion and mystery as author Aleatha Romig takes us to the streets of Detroit and the remote wilderness of Alaska as she weaves a captivating story that will grab the reader and leave them begging for more.
- The characters: Sara awakens blind and injured. She remembers nothing, not even the color of her hair. Her husband and friends aid her in her recovery but she is shocked to discover she and her husband are members of the Light an oppressive group led by Father Gabriel. Women do not question and rely on their husband’s wisdom, guidance and correction. Eek gads, time spent in this cult was riveting. It is evident that the author did extensive research regarding cults and she highlighted all aspects of this way of life. Jacob Adam Sara’s husband is a pilot and member of the upper echelon of The Light. His relationship with Sara, the delegation and his inner thoughts shed light on the inner workings of The Light. He cares for Sara, and his need to protect her made him appealing. From the onset, I liked Stella our investigator. Despite warnings, she will not dodge her instincts and she is determined to find her missing friend and discover who is murdering young women.
- Into the Light has three narrators each assigned a voice and this choice only enhanced my enjoyment. Through their tones and inflection, the reader picks up subtle clues and foreshadowing. Romig weaved mystery and suspense surrounding a cult known as The Light.
- Brilliantly executed, Into the Light immediately pulled me in as we met Sarah Adams. The author then shared perspectives from husband Jacob and Stella Montgomery an investigative journalist in Detroit. The different perspectives quickly drew me in and allowed me to begin piecing things together. Romig then delivered answers in bursts that left me holding my breath, shouting I knew it and screaming for the next book. The tale ends on a cliffhanger that will have you jumping out of your seat and eager for the next book.
- At a little under fourteen hours, I devoured Into the Light. It was nerve-wracking. I found myself holding my breath and stopping everything I was doing to hear each word. Whether you read or listen to this tale, I can promise you one heck of a ride. Each carefully crafted thread unravels flawlessly as it promises the reader thrills, chills and complicated emotions. You will scream in protest at the outlandish practices of the cult even as you become caught up in the romance between Sara and Jacob. Twisted, dark and completely addictive I cannot wait to listen to Away from the Dark that releases October 18, 2016.
Into the Light is a must listen for fans of suspenseful thrillers with an unusual romantic. Into the Light will undoubtedly appear on my top ten audiobook list this year.
Read an Excerpt
Though I’d hoped to learn more about his meeting, with the events of the day and the warmth of his silent embrace, in no time at all, I began to drift off to sleep. I was nearly there when Jacob moved. Rolling me to my back, he hovered close and smoothed my long hair away from my face.
“Are you still awake?” he asked, his minty breath blowing over me.
His simple apology had my full attention. I wasn’t sure I remembered hearing those words from him.
“…I meant to tell you how well you did at service.”
I smiled. “Thank you. I was scared, but Raquel and Elizabeth were with me the entire time. And Brother Benjamin,” I added, suddenly fearful of not acknowledging that a man had helped. He continued to run his fingers through my hair. “I didn’t want you to think that I’d been quiet because of anything you’d done. You were perfect.”
It was difficult for me not to ask the questions running through my tired mind, but Lying on my back helped me remember. “Thank you, Jacob. I want you to be proud. I’m sorry that I embarrassed you. I’m sure that’s what Father Gabriel was speaking to you about.”
His hand and breath stilled, as if he was considering his words carefully. “We’re leaving the clinic tomorrow. However, instead of going to our apartment, we’ll be staying at the pole barn for a while.”
“I don’t remember our apartment or the pole barn, but I’ll go wherever you take me.”
His lips brushed mine. The light touch ignited a park that detonated flickers of yearning throughout my body. I lifted my lips to his, wanting more than the chaste endearment.
“Sara, I…” Jacob didn’t complete his sentence; instead his hand slipped behind my heard, pulling me toward him. His kiss, no longer apathetic, devoured. Zeal radiated from his lips, and soon his breaths were labored. Like magnets we were drawn toward one another, closer and closer. My body liquefied, becoming pliable to his touch, while conversely, his hardened, ready to claim what was already his.
As the heat of our passion washed over us, I forgot my punishment. My attention went elsewhere. A tug on my hair propelled my head to tilt, while the persistence of his minty tongue encouraged my lips to part. Whimpers and moans reverberated in my mouth and bubbled forth. They were wordless sounds declaring my body’s approval.
The large, strong hands that had delivered pain now brought pleasure. I reached for his broad shoulders, opening my arms and willfully surrendering to his kisses. With a palpable hunger, his mouth moved from my lips to my neck and down to my collarbone. His actions sent shivers to my toes and tremors to my insides. Each kiss moved lower until he reached the neckline of my nightgown. The bra I’d worn to service was gone. My breaths quickened as each button cam undone, leaving me bare and exposed to his desires.
The sound of my heart echoed in my ears as he praised my beauty and whispered admiration for what was his. When he wasn’t speaking, his lips moved lower as his five o’clock shadow tantalized my sensitive skin. It was as his skilled fingers joined the assault, kneading my breasts and twisting my hardened nipples, that primal sounds came from in my throat. It wasn’t that I feared speaking. It was that words weren’t forming. Wanting what he could give, I reached for his head, wove my fingers through his hair, and pulled him closer.
Suddenly he stopped and pulled away, leaving me open to the cool air.
Dazed and chilled, I reached for my nightgown. Embarrassed and hurt, I began to button it.
“Did I do something wrong?”
Listen to a sample: Into the LightThrilling suspense Caffeinated's reviews Into The Light By Aleatha Romig #audiobook Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.