by Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles #4
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.
Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long. Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?
Winter is the last book in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and at over eight hundred pages; Meyer took readers on one heck of a ride as we faced down Queen Levana. It was brutal, intense and frustrating. Winter was epic, beautifully written and a brilliant retelling.
Five reasons to read Winter and the Lunar Chronicles
- Originality- I love how Meyers gave each book a character and a story weaving all of them together as we moved towards the final battle with our villain Queen Levana. Never have I read a retelling so spectacularly done. Meyers blended science fiction and fantasy into the story introducing readers to the genres and nothing tickles me more.
- Friendship- I loved the bonds that formed between these characters. Loyalty and the depth of caring that develops was strong and felt authentic. This motley crew of different personalities formed this family.I believed them, understood them and rooted for them.
- Plot-All of the stories were well done, but Winter kept me on the edge of my seat from the very first chapter. Meyer weaved these different threads and intense battle scenes into an epic tale. All of the characters face down death. So many times, I steeled my heart thinking this is it she is going to kill off so and so, and then I will have to hate her. One moment it seemed we would triumph and in the next chapter, we were doomed. What a roller coaster of a ride. I have heard a few people say there was too much going on, but I never felt Meyer lost control and appreciated all the threads. I tried to savor the story but never have so many pages slipped through my fingers so quickly.
- Romance The romances in the series were served as side dishes allowing for the intense action and twisted plot to develop. They were brought to the forefront for a spell allowing us to fall for and believe in them before being pushed to the back. This left the reader to trust characters saw growth and made progress. Each couple had their own moments and their own obstacles to overcome. As my young friends would say, I loved all the ships! Each couple was tested, separated and made to suffer but along the way, I connected and fell for them all. I did have a favorite couple, but I will leave you to decide yours.
- Villains- Meyer’s gave us plenty of characters to loath, fear and dare I say long to burn. From Cinder’s stepfamily to the wretched Queen herself. I loved to hate them and oh, how Meyer has made me loath them.
Winter was an exciting conclusion to the Lunar Chronicles and the ending is one that will satisfy readers.
I just have to say that it is pretty rare for me to feel 100% satisfied with a series ending, but I absolutely loved how The Lunar Chronicles wrapped up in Winter. Such a good book!
I cannot wait for this one!!!! I have to find out how it all ends!!!!!
Everyone is reading Winter without me! Darn all of those 27 people in front of me at the library! Glad to see another positive review!
I like your review!!! I can’t wait to start the series
God, I just loved this entire series and I am so devastated by the end of it. I thought this was the best ending ever. The friendships in this series were almost as good as the romance. Great review!
I think she really does the BEST job at creating fabulous characters. I really could rave and rave about how well done they are. But the world and creativity of the entire thing is just as great. I’m planning to listen to Winter in January, I think (depending on my mood, I suppose). Glad to hear it’s an amazing ending!
That’s a really long book! I love that the book was so good and was a great wrap up of all the threads introduced by the author. And that your enjoyed the read so much! Hard to say goodbye to a series you love so much 🙂
I haven’t loved every book in the series but Fairest totally hooked me back in and was a nice set up for WInter so I can’t wait to read this one.
Karen @For What It’s Worth
I’m slacking with the series releases this year, including Winter. I’ve waited so long for it, but now I’m dragging my feet.
The Bibliophile Babe
I’ve got to pick this series up!
I tried the 1st book in this series on audio from the library and couldn’t get into it. But I think it might have been my mood. I have the series on my TBR and might get to it in 2016 since my library has them all. But first I need to get through my audio review requests and other series I’ve already started. LOL
I loved how the romances were side stories, and the action was front and center. Such a breath of fresh air!
Like the heroine’s name — Winter.
I loved Winter a lot! Out of all of them, I think it’s my second favorite, after Cress. I really loved the Thorne/Cress action and how their romance played out. I really need to check out Fairest soon.
I have to catch up on this series. I’ve only read Cinder, but I have books 2&3 ready to read. Wonderful review!
This is a series my younger daughter has been on me to read since she enjoyed it so much. Your review of Winter has me primed to start, Kimberly. I’m glad the ending was such a thrill and a fabulous ending to the series. 🙂
I got this in the mail last week, but I need to find a good time to start it since it’s so long. hah I’m glad to hear you loved the finale!!
I’m so glad you loved this final book. I plan to read the whole series next week. I’ve read the first three but it’s been a while. So I’m going to binge read all four. LOL Get the excitement going for the final book.
Oh good! Glad Winter was good stuff. I still need to read Cress and the Queen’s book and then I’ll hit this one.
Melissa (Books and Things)
I’ve only read the first book but I’m determined to at least do a couple of books in this series in the coming year. I have them on my wishlist at the library!
I need to read book 2
I want to read this series so badly; I feel like I’ve missed out on so much. I hope to buy or borrow from the library this coming year and start from the beginning. I didn’t realize that Winter was going to be the last of the series. Maybe, it won’t be impossible to tackle a series in the coming year, afterall.
That’s some tome. It isn’t very often that I tackle books of this length but this one sounds as if it had lots going on. Great review, thank you.
Great review Kimba, sounds like a great series. And I love that the last book was so thick and did not disappoint at all.
I’m so glad this one was so great. I’m always afraid with a series that I love that the next one is going to be meh. I haven’t even started this series but I’m writing my list of 2016 Goals and reading this series is on it. I can’t wait.
Yay! Happy to see you enjoyed that last book! Agree, the friendships in this series made my heart grow 3 sizes, haha. And Romance, sigh, so cute. I’m definitely sad the series is over!
Great review, Kim!
I’ve heard so many great things about this series. I wonder if they’re good on audio. Lovely review!
I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS KIM!!! This and Queen of Shadows are my holiday reads this year and I’m so excited to finally get to them:) Very much looking forward to all those ships 😉
YES to all of these, Kim! I was especially a fan of the romances and the friendships. And of course, Levana who was so batshit crazy!
Lovely reivew! 🙂
Wow that’s quite an investment of time Kim but it looks like it was well worth it, but I take it these should probably be read in order. Are they all this long?
I’ve only read the first one in the series and really liked it but I should try more. I saw many different reviews about this one but I’m glad it was a good one for you.
Loved this one! It’s so big, but it’s so epic. The entire series was just amazing. 🙂
Winter is amazing! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. This book was my favorite in the series.