How to Be A Badass Detective by Michael Anderle is the first audiobook narrated by Dara Rosenberg in the series by the same name. I was really excited to dive into this story, but from the start I felt like I was missing pieces. Come see why I kept listening…
by Michael Anderle
Series: How To Be A Badass Detective #1
Narrator: Dara Rosenberg
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4 cups Speed: 1.3x
Provided a choice, would you give up magical power or become the most disparaged of those who work with the law…
A private detective!
Fed up with playing the normal game, recent university graduate, ex-cum laude, ex-soccer star, ex-popular, and mostly broke Kera MacDonagh changed her life when she read How to be a Badass Witch and shockingly, the spells worked.
Kera MacDonagh has dealt with learning magic, overcoming power-hungry covens from abroad, and engagements with the police to help those around her.
Now, Kera puts her best adult foot forward and decides to branch out in a new direction.
One her mother is unlikely to happy about.
But will the powers that be allow her a chance to make a difference?
With everything happening, Kera is balancing her relationship as well.
Will becoming a detective fulfill her need to support those without hope, keep her boyfriend, and satisfy her mom?
Unlikely, but she’s going to try!
- Kera MacDonagh our protagonist, is sassy and determined to open up her own detective agency with her friends. She has goals and wants to support her family. All of this despite relationship struggles and displeasing her mother.
- The world was interesting and filled with with magic, witches, night clubs and entertaining secondary characters.
- Kera’s first case was interesting and filled with danger as she and her friends’ work to solve it. The pacing was well done, with plenty of twists and turns. The story ended on enough of a cliffhanger to leave listeners eager for the next installment.
- I liked the magic and seeing Kera develop skills.
- Allies, friendships and the world kept me listening, as did the narration by Dara Rosenberg, who captured the humor and voices of the characters.
- The book is well received, with a 4.5 out of 5 rating on Amazon. The series is available on Kindle Unlimited.
- The narration. Dara Rosenberg captured the characters and tone of the story. Her voice pulls you in and made listening enjoyable.
From the beginning, I felt like I was the newbie in the room and everyone else already knew each other. Fans of this author didn’t have issues as they have read his previous trilogy, How to Be A Badass Witch. It appears to be set in the same world. I saw comments like this series just keep getting better or I love the smooth transition from one series to another. Which isn’t a bad thing. I love that about The Guilden Codex worlds by Annette Marie.
While I think the author attempted to make newcomers welcome, I still ended up feeling like I dropped in the middle on a series. This didn’t allow me to full immerse myself in the story and fell connected.
By the end I felt like I finally gained my footing, but I highly recommend begin with the previous trilogy. I am going to pause listening to this series until I’ve listened to the How To Be A Badass Witch trilogy.How To Be A Badass Detective by Michael Anderle was intriguing, but I recommend listening to How to be a Badass Witch series first. #HowtoBeABadassDetective #Urban #Audiobook #DaraRosenberg Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: