by J.K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #1
Narrator: Jim Dale
Length: 8 hours and 33 minutes
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups
"Turning the envelope over, his hand trembling, Harry saw a purple wax seal bearing a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger and a snake surrounding a large letter 'H'."
Harry Potter has never even heard of Hogwarts when the letters start dropping on the doormat at number four, Privet Drive. Addressed in green ink on yellowish parchment with a purple seal, they are swiftly confiscated by his grisly aunt and uncle. Then, on Harry's eleventh birthday, a great beetle-eyed giant of a man called Rubeus Hagrid bursts in with some astonishing news: Harry Potter is a wizard, and he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. An incredible adventure is about to begin!
My oldest was seven when we read HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE for the first time. I read it allowed to each of my children. It is a fond memory as are the releases of each book in the series along with the movie releases. Their releases mark my children’ childhood and this series will always be dear to me.
To celebrate the twentieth anniversary of Harry Potter and in conjunction with the Wizarding World Book Club, I chose to listen to HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE for the first time. Narrated by Jim Dale the tale once again came to life and I was lost to it.
It was wonderful revisiting this story. The last time I did a reread was when I bought the illustrated edition and of course, it all started with me looking at the beautiful illustrations and the next thing you know I was lost to this world. Honestly, it never gets old.
Rowling’s writing is marvelous from pacing to her ability to express the character’s emotions. I know there are folks who have not yet read the series (gasps). I, of course, cannot recommend them enough regardless of format. The movies are brilliant, but only scratch the surface of what the books and audios have to offer. If you love Harry Potter but have never tried audio, this is the perfect time to listen.
Five reasons to listen to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- The world and characters came to life on audio. Jim Dale has a pleasant tone and gave each character his or her own unique voice. His pacing was wonderful and allowed me to listen for long stretches of time.
- You belong to the Potter Fandom and it would be criminal not to try all the formats.
- It’s the 20th Anniversary of Harry Potter. Celebrate and treat yourself.
- Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, and Hogsmeade Villiage, magical items, secret passages, and wondrous creatures. The world building is rich and detailed. You will want to pack your bags and visit. (I am still waiting for my letter)
- The characters! Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, Ron Weasley, Snape, Malfoy, Hagrid, Sirus Black and more. I love them all and this is only the beginning …
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.