by Susannah Sandlin
Series: Wilds of the Bayou #2
Genres: Romantic Suspense
For some people, the untamed beauty of the bayou is a place to hide. For Louisiana wildlife agent Jena Sinclair, it’s a place of refuge—one where she can almost forget the tragedy that scarred both her skin and her soul. But when the remains of yet another fisherman turn up, Jena realizes that Bayou Pointe-aux-Chenes is not safe for her…or anyone else.
The mysterious deaths aren’t her only problem. A dangerous drug known as Black Diamond is circulating through Terrebonne Parish, turning addicts into unpredictable sociopaths. Jena’s investigation leads her to Cole Ryan—a handsome, wary recluse struggling with his own troubled history—who knows more than he’s willing to admit. If they want to stop the killer, Jena and Cole must step out of the shadows of their pasts and learn to help each other…before the evils lurking in the bayou consume them both.
Black Diamond by Susannah Sandlin is the second book in the romantic suspense series Wilds of the Bayou. Set in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Sandlin shares a case that has the DEA and local wildlife agents scrambling as Gators beginning acting strangely. Weave in a little romance, and you have the perfect read for a crisp autumn evening by the fire.
Five reasons to grab Black Diamond
- Each of the books in this series can be read as a standalone and feature a Louisiana Wildlife agent. In Black Diamond, the Gators are acting strangely, and a designer drug known as Black Diamond is circulating in the parish. It is highly addictive, and the side effects are terrifying. Sandlin not only delivers a page-turning thriller, but she allows us to become a part of this community. We get to know key characters and experience life in the bayou.
- Wildlife agent Jena Sinclair is back in the field after an accident that left her scarred both inside and out. She has a new partner, a new home and has her brother living with her. When the story begins, Jena is not in an excellent place mentally, but Sandlin allows her to grow as the case escalates. Jena felt real and had depth. I appreciated how the author developed her.
- Sandlin brings the Louisiana Bayou to life from the people to the creatures who live there. We go deep into the marsh, learn gator behavior and bear witness to the struggles folks have from the economy to Mother Nature and her tantrums. Sandlin, a native of Louisiana, lends an authentic flair to the story, and her well-written story allowed me to see, smell and taste the bayou.
- Suspenseful and intense Sandlin kept me flipping the pages as the mystery surrounding the Gators and drugs escalated. Jena and her partner soon find themselves in the thick of things as their case begins to thread with the DEA case. The author provided details, red herrings, and plenty of good old-fashioned detective work to develop a solid mystery with a realistic feel.
- The romance was served as a side dish to the mystery and carefully threaded through the tale. Cole Ryan is a recluse who keeps to himself and his story will rip out your heart. Jena and Cole connect as only two damaged souls can do. Their interaction felt genuine, and their stories allowed me to connect with them both. The romance is fade black, slow burning, and filled with heart.
Black Diamond delivered an addictive, heart-stopping suspense with a touch of swoon. If you love suspenseful murder mysteries and realistic characters, I recommend the Wilds of Bayou series.Black Diamond by Susannah Sandlin- addictive, heart-stopping suspense w/ a touch of swoon Click To Tweet
Read a sample of Wild Man’s Curse
Wild Man’s Curse is on sale for 1.99 today. It is also available on Kindle Unlimited and Free for Prime members!
*Disclosure I read this novel before becoming a virtual assistant to Suzanne Johnson and received my copy from the publisher. This did not influence my opinion, as I have long been a fan.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.