by Susannah Sandlin
Series: The Collectors #2
Narrator: Amy McFadden
Length: 8 hrs and 41 mins
Genres: Romantic Suspense
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4 cups
How far will ordinary people go to protect their secrets? The Collectors’ games are as much about manipulating lives as finding lost treasure. Everyone is expendable as the ruthless C7 pushes people into gambling with their lives in order to find priceless objects lost to history. Samantha Crowe’s secrets could ruin her career, while Brody Parker’s could get him killed. They become pawns for two Collectors seeking Bad King John’s crown jewels, which disappeared in rural England back when Robin Hood roamed Nottingham. This time, however, the Collectors—a ruthless dotcom billionaire and a desperate London detective—might not be playing for the same team, leaving Sam and Brody trapped in the middle. One thing’s for sure: If either hope to survive, Sam and Brody will have to find a way to overcome their distrust—and their growing attraction—in order to succeed on this winner-take-all treasure hunt.
Deadly, Calm and Cold is the second book in the Collectors series by Susannah Sandlin and I was lucky enough to win the audio edition. It’s a romantic suspense that shares a deadly game with ordinary folks used as pawns in a rich man’s game of treasure hunt. I quickly became caught up in the tale and couple.
Five Caffeinated reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to Deadly, Calm, and Cold
- The premise of the Collector series is a unique one. A group of rich, pompous men known as the C7 bet money and use ordinary folks to find the lost treasure for them. Do you have a secret you want to be kept hidden? Then you could be their next victim and they will stop at nothing to have you do their bidding. I love this premise and the suspense it creates.
- The quest is to find lost artifacts and a deadline to win is set. I love how their research resulted in the reader/listener learning about a specific time-period and lost treasure. In this particular case, we are looking for King John’s crown jewels that disappeared in rural England around the time Robin Hood roamed the countryside. Sandlin clearly does her research weaving fact into her tales giving it an authentic feel.
- The plot was twisted and the C7 players particularly ruthless. They involve a London detective in over his head and a Dotcom billionaire who is determined to win regardless of the cost. They hire ruthless thugs to do their dirty work and set out to foil each other. Accidents, murder, and threats abound keeping the reader constantly on edge.
Samantha Crow’s past could ruin the career she is pursuing and threats to her family have her manipulated into playing the game. Brody Parker has left his past behind and if discovered certain parties would go to great lengths to see him dead. Each has a mission and finds themselves an unwilling pawn between the two C7 players.
- The attraction Sam and Brody felt for each other was dangerous since both feared being double-crossed and finding themselves at the mercy of the C7 players. The incredible tension, danger, and timeline amped up the sexual tension and it was delightful seeing these two begin to trust each other. We get some heat combined with sweet moments and I found myself rooting for them.
- Deadly, Calm and Cold was an intense romantic suspense and I cannot wait to read the next novel. Each of the books in this series work as standalone but I recommend reading them all.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.