by Caroline Kepnes
Series: You #2
Narrator: Santino Fontana
Length: 13 hours and 3 minutes
Purchase: Amazon | Audible | B&N
Charmingly murderous antihero Joe continues his twisted quest for the perfect love in this thrilling follow-up to the “deeply dark yet mesmerizing” You (Booklist). When Joe follows the woman he wants to marry to the West Coast, he never imagines that his obsession will lead him to such tragedy…After the heartbreak of losing his girlfriend, Beck, Joe Goldberg thought he’d never love again. But when mysterious Amy Adam begins working for Joe at Mooney Books, he finds himself obsessed with his new employee. Amy is Beck’s opposite—she hates Twitter, she doesn’t even have an email address, she's completely unsearchable online—and she quickly captures Joe’s heart. But just before Joe can ask Amy to marry him, she disappears, leaving a trail of clues in her wake. Joe is then forced to do something so vile, so awful that he nearly loses his mind: he moves to Los Angelesto find Amy. He is tortured by a series of aspiring Angelenos—an insufferable stand-up comedian, philistine booksellers, a money-hungry nanny, and a slutty ghostwriter—before meeting his ticket to a more luxurious world: a surgically enhanced, social media–savvy heiress named Love Quinn. But Joe can’t stop stalking Amy, despite the world opening up to him with Love on his arm. Will Joe finally escape his sordid past? Or is Love just the latest casualty in Joe’s unrelenting search for the perfect match?
Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes returns to the story that began with the book, You. Twisted, oddly humorous and strangely addictive it still amuses me that Kepnes actual made me like a serial killer as twisted as Joe Goldberg.
I actually tried to read Hidden Bodies, but found I was missing the narration of Santino Fontana. I set the book aside and grabbed my earbuds. I am so glad that I did, because I instantly slipped into the mind of Joe.
Five reasons to listen to Hidden Bodies
- Caroline Kepnes weaves a wicked, sometimes disturbing tale around her protagonist Joe Goldberg. Joe is a sociopath who falls for the perfect girl. That is until she disappears, and Joe finds himself leaving the East Coast and traveling to Los Angeles in search of Amy. As he settles in LA, he meets characters who drive him insane. In his pursuit of Amy, he meets Love Quinn, a social media goddess who may just be his perfect match.
- Kepnes weaves humor, murder and stalking into her story. Somehow, she manages to make the listener laugh aloud even as they shiver at Joe’s cold calculating ways. Joe’s thought process is eerily clever and diabolical, but Kepnes adds snark and an over the top narrative that allows you to get Joe.
- Just getting inside Joe’s head and seeing how his thought process works makes Hidden Bodies and the You series worth a listen. Seeing how he manipulates, justifies his actions and works around problems will send shivers down your spin. We also see just how volatile Joe is and sense that at any moment he could completely lose his shit. Joe is hilarious and twisted but being inside his head is quite the experience. His inner dialogue is some of the best I have ever read. I found myself rooting for him and getting angry at the characters who messed with his plans. I had to remind myself that he would kill me without an ounce of remorse. This odd cocktail of a character makes him memorable.
- Kepnes delivers an intense plot as Joe hunts for Amy, and ultimately meets Love Quinn. She introduces a cast of colorful and unique characters from LA hippies to a cop who longs to rub shoulders with the “Hollywood in crowd. “ The story was addictive, and while I felt it dragged a little in the middle, the last three-fourths of the book had me listening non-stop as Joe’s world faces peril.
- Listening to Hidden Bodies intensified the story. Santino Fontana brilliantly portrayed Joe making our trip inside Joe’s mind a total mind f@ck. Fontana also did a bang up job with the other characters from their voices to the intense situations.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/247911551″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone