by Penelope Douglas
Narrator: Carrie Brach, Guy Locke
Length: 11 hours and 1 minute
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 3.5 cups
Former tennis player Easton Bradbury is trying to be the best teacher she can be, trying to reach her bored students, and trying to forget her past. What brought her to this stage in her life isn't important. She can't let it be. But now one parent-teacher meeting may be her undoing . . .Meeting Tyler Marek for the first time makes it easy for Easton to see why his son is having trouble in school. The man knows how to manage businesses and wealth, not a living, breathing teenage boy. Or a young teacher, for that matter, though he tries to. And yet there is something about him that draws Easton in-a hint of vulnerability, a flash of attraction, a spark that might burn.Wanting him is taboo. Needing him is undeniable. And his long-awaited touch will weaken Easton's resolve-and reveal what should stay hidden.Contains mature themes
Misconduct by Penelope Douglas was a novel my friends raved about. When the audio came across my desk and I saw the setting was NOLA I grabbed my earbuds. I couldn’t be happier not only did I get a swoon-worthy romance with all the elements I favor but I found a new author. Heated, snarky, complex and completely addictive I devoured the audio edition of Misconduct.
Grab your earbuds and listen to Misconduct
- Carrie Branch and Guy Locke narrate Misconduct as Penelope Douglas provides the perspective of Easton Bradbury and entrepreneur Tyler Marek. Easton and Tyler meet at a shindig and share an innocent but heated moment. The chemistry is off the charts and both think about the other nameless person..until their paths cross again. Their story had all the elements I love from wicked banter to wipe your tears moments and it was wrapped up in a passionate tale that left me breathless.
- Easton is a teacher at a private school where she uses innovative and edgy methods to teach her students. Easton has reinvented herself after ending a career in tennis and I loved getting to know her. She is edgy, outspoken and with the intelligence to back it up. She is fractured, but strong, proud yet forgiving and Douglas peeled back her layers allowing me to connect and understand.
- Tyler Marek did not get successful by playing nice but he is also a man of integrity. He has his eye on the political arena where he feels he can make a difference. He works crazy hours and is both feared and respected by his associates. The man can be a tad domineering, particularly in business and a couple of times Easton and I both wanted to throttle him. Thankfully, Easton is not the least bit intimidated and lord was it fun watching her handle him. Douglas shares his journey as Tyler juggles success, his campaign and personal life.
- Tyler had a son when he was twenty and while he has supported both mother and child, he very much wants to be a part of his son’s life. It is a learning process and Douglas shared more than a romance with us but also a father-son relationship that was complicated, humorous and tender. It gave the story depth and heart while further allowing us to understand Tyler.
- There is a subtle thread of suspense/danger that is developed from Easton’s past and it added interest and suspense. It was cleverly written further showcasing Douglas’s writing skills.
- The chemistry in this heated romance is off the chart. It has elements of a forbidden romance but there is also friendship, understanding and trust making it a powerful love story. Penelope Douglas brought these characters to life, making their conversations, intense passion and complications feel very raw and genuine. I love when two strong, take charge personalities come together because the storm they created was magnificent. I loved that even though there is an age difference between them they each learn and grow because of the other.
- The narrators did an excellent job but I preferred Easton at 1x speed and found I preferred Tyler at 2x speed. I loved the use of both a male and female narrator. It was so well done, even the sex scenes felt realistic.
- New Orleans baby! I loved the attention to detail regarding the city. Stories set in the Quarter always draw me in and Douglas knows NOLA.
Quotes from Misconduct
“Damaged people were survivors, and they survived because they always put themselves first. Self-preservation demanded it.”
“In our hearts, we always know what’s right and wrong. That’s not the struggle. The struggle is wanting what’s wrong for you and gauging whether or not the consequences are worth it.”
“Tyler looked after him and then turned to me, cocking his head. “I’m not a jealous man, but for you I might make an exception.”
“I like how you are with me. You’re not careful with me. You see more of me than anybody else.”
I pressed my body against his, arching up on my toes and leaning toward his lips. His breath hitched, and I slipped my hands inside his jacket again and gripped his waist.
“Don’t be careful with me, Tyler,” I whispered, catching his bottom lip, sucking it quickly and then letting it go. “Please,” I pleaded.
And he groaned, closing his eyes and diving in.”
If you are looking for a heated romance with all of the feels then grab a copy of Misconduct today. This was my first Douglas book but it won’t be my last.
I just bought it, Kimberly. 😉 I love the sound of the romance but even more the friendship and watching father and son develop a stronger bond. Excellent review, my friend!
Squee..enjoy my friend!
I love books to be set In New Orleans. I have to ask-heated romance or is it more erotica? Just curious because you do have me interested as usual 🙂
It is very hot and intense, but well balanced. I gave it a 4.5 heat level. There is depth here and the scenes that appear are very well done.
Ok, that sounds really good. Thanks for the review.
I’m so glad you loved this book too Kimberly. I also read it, and it was amazing. I have read other books by Penelope Douglas and believe me.. all her book have amazing chemistry. This book was just so good. I still think about it 😀
I can’t wait to try some of her others Maureen!
The Bibliophile Babe
Fantastic review! You’ve put this one at the top of my TBR. Glad you enjoyed it!
Squee..I am so happy to hear that 😉
Braine Talk Supe
That’s different, changing speeds depending on who’s talking. The select times I’ve tried audio I want the narrator to “speed talk” because I get so impatient!
Yes you can change times and increase speed which I prefer, especially if the 1x is very slow.
“And he groaned, closing his eyes and diving in.” — Wow!
It was hot, but so well done and genuine
Melissa (Books and Things)
I need a good contemp romance on audio right now. The one I’m listening to is giving me the eyerolls. This on the other hand sounds perfect. *looks on Hoopla* Found it! 🙂 Adding it to my faves list.
Ooo I hope you love this one Melissa! no eye rolling to be had!
I really like that the danger and suspense was written (spoken?) so well in this and it was a great audio!
Wonderful review Kim, have a wonderful weekend and an even better Christmas and New Year!!
Thanks Ali. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well!
Brandi Breathes Books
An off the chart heated romance sounds great
Thanks Brandi it was such a great listen
I know of a lot of readers who have raved about this one, too. Well, all of Penelope Douglas books, really. I have Bully since it was originally released and STILL haven’t read it. Great review, as always.
This was my first and I am so glad I listened 🙂
I love the sound of the setting and the suspense in the book as well. Glad you enjoyed!
I really did , thanks Candace
I have been reading rave reviews for this one, and I think I need to get it. I always love an audio with both a male and female narrator and makes it so much better.
I hope you try it Heidi!
New Orleans is one of my favorite settings…and I love stories about people doing wrong, while struggling not to go there.
Thanks for sharing.
Me too Laurel, this was heated but it has wonderful characters and depth
Yay. So glad you enjoyed this one. I will admit that when I first saw it I thought it would be just another billionaire romance but it wasn’t. It’s so good! I’m happy to hear that the audio version is just as good. I think having a male and female narrator helped a lot.
Right..but it wasn’t and it was awesome!!
Wow! Look at that heat level! I’m going to add this on goodreads now lol. Awesome review as always. 🙂
I fixed comment for you..and oh yes this was hot!
Thanks, I can’t type lately lol. 🙂
Okay, different cover for audio book. I really want to read this one! Great review!
It was hot, and funny and yes, yes read/listen but grab it!
Sold! Great review, too bad you didn’t like it! 😉
Bwahaha..nope totally hated it…LOL
I think it would be hard to listen to a book going back and forth with listening speeds. I tend to listen to most of my books at 1.25x, which is new to me this year really. Before that I stayed at 1x. I love that I can shave so much time off my books and get more in. Glad you enjoyed this book even if you did have to keep adjusting your listening speed.
She just talks fast, but since it went by chapter it was easy to adjust.
Lover Of Romance
oh I fell in love with this one as well and yay for audio!!! I will say I like the audio book cover more than that regular cover. Such a cute story and I LOVED her brother until the end then I was like WHAT??!!!! I still don’t know what I think about that unique turn of events though. I really liked seeing the relationship with the son though especially with him dealing with both Tyler and Easton. Glad you enjoyed this one.
So glad you loved it too, and yes I loved the added family story.
I do wonder why some audio covers are not a cute
I like this one 🙁
I’m so freaking glad you loved this. Freaking elated! As dumb as it sounds, I always sucks when someone doesn’t like a character or certain dynamic that is ‘totally me’.. What she did in the club is so my move. I’m kind of wanting to listen to the audio now.
It rocked my friend!
LOL I’m like yo everything NOLA based is attracting! I really would love to visit this city! I didn’t know about this one but looks like a good one. A good mix in there!
Ha..I am so glad I am not the only one who sees NOLA and goes mine!