by Heather Graham
Series: Krewe of Hunters #16
Published by: Harlequin
Genres: Paranormal, Romantic Suspense
Murdered by a dead man? A woman named Maria Gomez is murdered in Miami, apparently by her husband—who'd been presumed dead, slain by a crime boss. FBI agent Brett Cody can't believe it; dead or alive, the man had loved his wife. He also can't help feeling guilty, since he was responsible for protecting Miguel and Maria Gomez. A few miles away, Lara Mayhew has just begun working at a dolphin research facility. She loves her new job—until a dolphin brings her something unexpected from the deep. A human hand. More body parts show up, and when Brett looks into the situation, he discovers that the dismembered corpse is Miguel's. Soon, rumors of crazed zombies abound in the Miami media, and the Krewe of Hunters, an elite FBI unit of paranormal investigators, is called in. Brett and Lara find themselves working with the Krewe—and working closely together. An elderly crime boss who's losing his memory seems to be key to solving this case, but…there's no motive. Unless Brett and Lara can uncover one in the Miami underworld. And that means they have to protect themselves. And each other
Heather Graham’s Krewe of Hunter series always offers a great mystery laced in paranormal woo-woo served with a side dish of romance. The Forgotten is the 16th book in the Krewe of Hunters series, but do not be intimidated. Each book in this series works as a standalone and involves different FBI Krewe members. The overall series breaks up into trilogies and four-book mini-series about different branches of the crew and their team.
Forgotten ties to Silenced, the previous novel in the Krewe of Hunters series. As we see FBI agents Meg and Matt. The heroine in the Forgotten is Lara Mayhew. She was the kidnapped victim in Silenced. Some time has passed and she has left her political career in DC for a job in sunny Florida. She is now handling the publicity for a Dolphin research facility in Miami.
Brett Cody is a local FBI Agent who arrives at the murder scene of Maria Gomez. The main suspect is Maria’s dead husband. Dead or alive Brett cannot accept that this man would ever harm his wife. Meanwhile across town, Lara is getting some hands on experience working with the dolphins. A simple retrieval command soon has her in possession of a dead man’s finger. When the finger comes back to Miguel Gomez a man who reportedly died months ago…things get very interesting.
Five reasons to grab The Forgotten
- Zombies! It seems the dead are back and killing those they love. Yep-this case was very intriguing and intense.
- Dolphins! I love these beautiful, intelligent creatures and we befriend one brilliant dolphin.
- A slow-burning romance in sunny Miami Florida filled with snark, witty banter and a little heat. Graham did an excellent job of making me fall for Brett and Lara.
- While the Krewe is called in (Matt and Meg), Brett is not actually Krewe. I cannot remember a previous book doing this, although we get plenty of paranormal woo-woo involving Lara and Brett.
- As I said before, all of these books work as standalone, and Graham does a great job of giving you enough back-story to characters from the previous book.
The Forgotten was an intense, different, and engaging installment in the Krewe of Hunters series.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone