by Dannika Dark
Series: Mageri #5
Narrator: Nicole Poole
Length: 14 hours and 7 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups
n the short span of a year, Silver has gone from becoming a Mage to discovering the truth about her unique genetics. Logan Cross went from being her mortal enemy to becoming her immortal lover, but a threat is fast approaching like an inevitable storm. Attacks are under way against the Mageri, and one man is behind it-an elusive foe who is an unstoppable force. Nero is not Silver's only concern, as someone close to her has been arrested for treason. In the midst of chaos, Silver discovers that she cannot protect everyone from the wrath of fate, including her own Ghuardian. Justus finally opens his heart, but an unexpected turn of events could darken his soul forever. Secrets are revealed that will leave listeners reeling from one twist to the next. Would you sacrifice everything for love?
Shine by Dannika Dark is the final audiobook in the riveting Mageri series. Dannika Dark has become a favorite here at Caffeinated, and this year I devoured the Seven and Mageri series. I am awaiting the next Crossbreed release. As I said this is the final Mageri book, but there are a few books set in their world: Risk, a companion novel, Closer, a novella and The Gift, a holiday novella which I will review tomorrow.
Shine was intense as Dark tied up threads, had our characters face their enemies and tested couples and friendships. I laughed at Justus and Page, cried for Logan and admired the hell out of Silver. We have come along way from Sterling where a young woman wakes up a Mage. I have come to love Silver, Justus, Logan, Page, Christian, Simon, Adam, and Finn. Oh heck, I even love secondary characters like Zoe’s best friend, the leader of the council and those we lost along the way. I am saddened this is the end but felt Dark did justice to these characters and left us with hope for their future. Christian Poe appears in the Crossbreed series, and I am hoping others will as well.
Since an in-depth review of Shine would reveal too many spoilers, I am instead sharing five reasons to listen or read the series.
Five reasons to begin the Mageri Series:
- An urban world with different paranormal creatures who live secretly among humans and are governed by a council made up of each breed. Dark has created a world you’ll want to be a part of from the characters to their abilities and rules.
- The characters! Fans of Kim Harrison, Patrica Briggs, and Anne Bishop will love the intense, complex, and charismatic characters Dark shares in her worlds. Silver, our protagonist, is selfless, kickass and tenacious with a soft side. You’ll laugh at Justus before you realize he has stolen your heart. Simon is hilarious, and Christian Poe will make you scream for more. Your heart will break for Adam, but you’ll close Shine with hope for him. You will want to hug Finn, and after a rough beginning, you will swoon for Logan. Their bonds, comradery, banter, and willingness to help each other make these stories memorable.
- The overall story ARC begins with Silver’s creation in Sterling and is developed in each novel as characters face new dangers and gather clues. The saga is well written, and eventually, everything weaves together in Shine. While I made a few connections Shine delivered plenty of ah-ha moments that surprised me, answered a nagging question and pulled threads together brilliantly.
- Side stories and characters like Page and Adam added depth and pull the reader into their world. I felt apart of it and became emotionally attached. I laughed, worried and lordy on occasion Dark made me weep like a babe. I felt sorry for Christian, screamed at injustices our characters faced and celebrated their happy moments. When an author creates characters who become like friends, you know you’ve found something special.
- While I am sure reading the Mageri series is enjoyable, Nichole Poole narrates this series, and she brings a whole new level of enjoyment to this series. Her voices both male and female have become the voices of these characters, and she beautifully captures their tones, mannerisms, and emotions. I have said Dark is like crack and Poole is her dealer. Bwahaha! When given a choice I will reach for my earbuds every time.
With so many excellent urban fantasy series coming to an end, fans of this genre will want to check out the Mageri and Crossbreeds series, for fans of wolfs and shifters Seven is a series to grab. It is set in the same world and for many readers, it is how they first discovered Dark. (raises hand)Shine by Dannika Dark delivered an addictive conclusion to the Mageri series. #audio #loveaudiobook #urban Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.