by Dannika Dark
Series: Mageri #5
Narrator: Nicole Poole
Length: 14 hours and 7 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 5 cups
n the short span of a year, Silver has gone from becoming a Mage to discovering the truth about her unique genetics. Logan Cross went from being her mortal enemy to becoming her immortal lover, but a threat is fast approaching like an inevitable storm. Attacks are under way against the Mageri, and one man is behind it-an elusive foe who is an unstoppable force. Nero is not Silver's only concern, as someone close to her has been arrested for treason. In the midst of chaos, Silver discovers that she cannot protect everyone from the wrath of fate, including her own Ghuardian. Justus finally opens his heart, but an unexpected turn of events could darken his soul forever. Secrets are revealed that will leave listeners reeling from one twist to the next. Would you sacrifice everything for love?
Shine by Dannika Dark is the final audiobook in the riveting Mageri series. Dannika Dark has become a favorite here at Caffeinated, and this year I devoured the Seven and Mageri series. I am awaiting the next Crossbreed release. As I said this is the final Mageri book, but there are a few books set in their world: Risk, a companion novel, Closer, a novella and The Gift, a holiday novella which I will review tomorrow.
Shine was intense as Dark tied up threads, had our characters face their enemies and tested couples and friendships. I laughed at Justus and Page, cried for Logan and admired the hell out of Silver. We have come along way from Sterling where a young woman wakes up a Mage. I have come to love Silver, Justus, Logan, Page, Christian, Simon, Adam, and Finn. Oh heck, I even love secondary characters like Zoe’s best friend, the leader of the council and those we lost along the way. I am saddened this is the end but felt Dark did justice to these characters and left us with hope for their future. Christian Poe appears in the Crossbreed series, and I am hoping others will as well.
Since an in-depth review of Shine would reveal too many spoilers, I am instead sharing five reasons to listen or read the series.
Five reasons to begin the Mageri Series:
- An urban world with different paranormal creatures who live secretly among humans and are governed by a council made up of each breed. Dark has created a world you’ll want to be a part of from the characters to their abilities and rules.
- The characters! Fans of Kim Harrison, Patrica Briggs, and Anne Bishop will love the intense, complex, and charismatic characters Dark shares in her worlds. Silver, our protagonist, is selfless, kickass and tenacious with a soft side. You’ll laugh at Justus before you realize he has stolen your heart. Simon is hilarious, and Christian Poe will make you scream for more. Your heart will break for Adam, but you’ll close Shine with hope for him. You will want to hug Finn, and after a rough beginning, you will swoon for Logan. Their bonds, comradery, banter, and willingness to help each other make these stories memorable.
- The overall story ARC begins with Silver’s creation in Sterling and is developed in each novel as characters face new dangers and gather clues. The saga is well written, and eventually, everything weaves together in Shine. While I made a few connections Shine delivered plenty of ah-ha moments that surprised me, answered a nagging question and pulled threads together brilliantly.
- Side stories and characters like Page and Adam added depth and pull the reader into their world. I felt apart of it and became emotionally attached. I laughed, worried and lordy on occasion Dark made me weep like a babe. I felt sorry for Christian, screamed at injustices our characters faced and celebrated their happy moments. When an author creates characters who become like friends, you know you’ve found something special.
- While I am sure reading the Mageri series is enjoyable, Nichole Poole narrates this series, and she brings a whole new level of enjoyment to this series. Her voices both male and female have become the voices of these characters, and she beautifully captures their tones, mannerisms, and emotions. I have said Dark is like crack and Poole is her dealer. Bwahaha! When given a choice I will reach for my earbuds every time.
With so many excellent urban fantasy series coming to an end, fans of this genre will want to check out the Mageri and Crossbreeds series, for fans of wolfs and shifters Seven is a series to grab. It is set in the same world and for many readers, it is how they first discovered Dark. (raises hand)
[bctt tweet=”Shine by Dannika Dark delivered an addictive conclusion to the Mageri series. #audio #loveaudiobook #urban” username=”kimbacaffeinate”]
I’m playing catch up on this series. Love Dark and Poole together.
Dragonfly @ Our Familiarium
I took me a while to get to into DD’s writing style but she finally had me with Seven Years !!! Now I’m so looking forward to reading Mageri! Especially after this review! 🙂
I loved the Seven series. It is where my journey with Dark began. I hope you love the Mageri series and then join me in reading/listening to the Crossbreeds series.
Really enjoy this author
Thanks, Barbara. Happy Holidays!
Haven’t read this series yet, and my! Sure sounds like a really good one. Gotta check it out!
I devoured Dark in 2017 and loved them all. I hope you try her.
I love her Seven series. I have not the chance to read any of the books from this series. i hope to rectify that very soon. Great review..
I started with Seven then jumped to this series and Crossbreeds.
Angela @ Angel's Guilty Pleasures
Oh I have this series on my TBR. Thank you for the review! Happy Holidays.
Thanks, Angela. Enjoy them!
You really have devoured this author over the last year. I have her first book on hold at the library waiting for the audiobook. Hope I love this series as much as you have. Hoping you and yours have a wonderful holiday season. Catch you back in 2018.
Thanks, Heidi and yes, I have a few novellas but have listened to everything she has published. Now to select a new author to devour in 2018. Happy Holidays Heidi!
Yes she’s definitely on my wish list Kim, now about the cover, why is the guy shirtless if he needs a jacket. Just curious LOL 😉
LOL, he is naturally warm. So the coat is just for show 🙂
I haven’t read her books yet but they sound really good from the reviews.
I really think you would like her books, Mary.
Jenea's Book Obsession
Sounds like a series that I need to start. And soon!
*nods* I hope you do!
You already know how happy I am with this review. This remains my favorite series of just about any I can think of and Logan is my absolute favorite male hero. And don’t get me started on how much I love Simon! This is one author that everyone should try. So happy you loved it!
Hmm, I think Crossbreeds might be my favorite of Darks. Logan is a sweetie and remember how it all began..oh my!
Tyler H. Jolley
Great review, Kimba. I hope you’re enjoying some time off. Merry Christmas from my family to yours.
Ha, I am on bloggy break and yet here I am commenting. LOL
Must try Dark!
*nods* Yes you must!
And this is just the way a series should feel when its over. So glad it more than lived up to the rest of the books for you. The world of this series and the other really tug me in with curiosity. I will get there. 😉
What. What? You haven’t read or listened to Dark? Eek gads woman you need to try them!
Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews
Dannika Dark is a master story-teller, and I adore the universe she has created for her series. On top of that, her characters are almost life-like.
Great review, Kim, I think a re-read or a listen is needed 🙂
She really is. I have one side novella to read and I will be left waiting and wanting for the next Crossbreed book!
Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews
*coughs* that side novella is on your list for your COYER secret Santa, yes? :p Maybe wait until the 25th to get it? 😉
*eyeballs pop out of head* Ok. Yes, I haven’t grabbed it yet. I need to read Risk too and was going to grab them all with gift cards lol.
Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews
Tanya @ Rantings of a Reading Addict
This series started out a little slow for me, but I’m on Gravity and am SO angry about this whole Silver and Logan situation! Argh! I find myself very upset on my way into work. I’m excited to see how all this gets wrapped up!
I love that it pulled you in and oh yes Silver and Logan had me caught up too!
Geybie’s Book Blog
Awesome review, as always, Kim. Wow, sounds awesome. I could feel how much you loved and enjoyed this story. Thnaks for sharing, my friend, I always love how varied the format of your reviews. It’s refreshing, Kim. ❤️
Thanks, Geybie. The deeper into a series the harder it gets.
Kristin @ Addicted to HEA
Crap… you cried for Logan… Waaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! I’m afraid to read this now! I’m seeing my iPad being thrown across the room in my future. I still need to read Gravity 🙁 As you can tell, I skimmed the hell out of your review but I’m sure it rocked xoxoxoxo
I kept it totally spoiler free. I love this author and have now listened to all her works.
too many people with the name silver XD there’s another Silver in Nalini Singh’s book so I was momentarily confused. but haven’t read Dannika Dark .. I should but …. TBR’s gonna crash
You needs to read her Ailyn.
It’s nice to hear that it was a great end there! I really need to try her books mainly as I love UF!
I hope you do. I listened to all of her series this year 🙂
Lover Of Romance
Great thoughts on this book and the series. I am looking for some new UFto try out this year in 2018 and these sound like a safe bet especially since I have read Dark before and enjoyed her writing style.
Oh good. Start with this series because some of the characters appear in the newer Crossbreed series which OMG is phenomenal.