by Rachel Caine
Series: Stillhouse Lake #1
Narrator: Emily Sutton-Smith
Genres: Psychological Thriller
Source: Prime, Purchase
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4.5 cups
Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.
With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the target of stalkers and Internet trolls who think she had something to do with her husband’s crimes, Gwen dares to think her kids can finally grow up in peace.
But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake—and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed—or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop.
I received STILLHOUSE LAKE by Rachel Caine from Prime’s Kindle First feature and added the audio for a few dollars. I am really glad that I did as the narration by Emily Sutton-Smith was superb. Caine delivers a psychological thriller that kept me on edge. It is the first novel in the Stillhouse Lake series. Addictive with small-town quirks, twists, and suspense.
Five Caffeinated Reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to Stillhouse Lake
- Rachel Caine is a fantastic writer who knows how to write fleshed out characters and suspenseful tales. She doesn’t rush things but slowly builds up to climactic scenes. In STILLHOUSE LAKE we meet Gina Royal, happily married mother of two, who later becomes Gwen Proctor survivor and protector of her young. Gina’s world is turned upside down when she learns her husband had a secret life as a serial killer. Caine will send chills down listener’s spines.
- After several moves and name changes, Gina, and her children through the help of an online contact, purchase a home in a rural area and for the first time lay down roots. All that changes when a body is found mutilated very similarly to her husband’s murder victims. *cue creepy music* I really enjoyed the way Caine shared what happened after the world discovered her husband’s secrets. Gina went through hell, and Caine skillfully shares its impact on her from overprotectiveness to newly acquired skills and the nightmares she still has.
- Topics such as societies’ reactions to the families of serial killers were chilling. Our society is quick to judge, lay blame and some refuse to believe the wife is the last to know. Some believe Gina helped her husband, victim’s families come after her in the media and physically. One only needs to log on to their Facebook or Twitter account to see the attacks and slamming of celebrities, authors, and the latest news stories. Some seek justice making the world Gina and her children live in a very scary place.
- The lakeside murder(s) from the investigation to the fall out held me captive. I admired Gwen’s strength and felt for her through growth and setbacks. We are treated to plenty of twists and while admittedly I picked up on certain clues, I did get a few surprises along the way.
- There are a few things I would love to chat about but “spoilers darling” Grab this if you love a good thriller, you are in for a treat.
- Emily Sutton-Smith was a new to me narrator but wow did she impress me. I love when a narration enhances an already good story. Her voices, tone, and pacing allowed me to slip into the story and I found I could listen for hours on end. My house thanks you too Emily, because I went on a cleaning spree while listening.
The first in the Stillhouse Lake series, STILLHOUSE LAKE delivered all the elements I love in a good psychological thriller. The jaw-dropping ending has me eager for more. Make this a “must” fall listen.STILLHOUSE LAKE delivered all the elements I love in a good psychological thriller #audio Click To Tweet