by Kresley Cole
Series: Immortals After Dark #5
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Narrator: Robert Petkoff
Length: 11 hours and 3 minutes
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Bestselling author Kresley Cole continues her seductive Immortals After Dark series with this tale of a vampire shunned even by his own kind and a beautiful phantom, bound together by a passion they cannot resist.
A RAVEN-HAIRED TEMPTRESS OF THE DARK...
Naomi Laress, a famous ballerina from a past century, became a phantom the night she was murdered. Imbued with otherworldly powers but invisible to the living, she haunts her beloved home, scaring away trespassers -- until she encounters a ruthless
A VAMPIRE WARRIOR CONSUMED BY MADNESS...
To prevent him from harming others, Conrad Wroth's brothers imprison him in an abandoned manor. But there, a female only he can see seems determined to drive him further into madness. The exquisite creature torments him with desire, leaving his body racked with lust and his soul torn as he finds himself coveting her for his own.
HOW FAR WILL HE GO TO CLAIM HER?
Yet even if Conrad can win Naomi, evil still surrounds her. Once he returns to the brutality of his past to protect her, will he succumb to the dark needs seething inside him?
OK, confession time. I am slightly addicted to the Immortals After Dark series on audio. Kresley Cole has me all wrapped up in this world and its characters. The audios narrated by Robert Petkoff are brilliant. He has become my favorite narrator. His male and female voices, accents, tone and pacing are superb. DARK NEEDS AT NIGHT’S EDGE brought us a gruff hero and a spunky, ghostly heroine.
While each book in this series delivers a single couple’s story, there is some overlay and characters who are present in them all. You could listen to this on its own, but you’ll be missing out.
- Conrad is the missing Wroth brother who suffers from bloodlust. He is also one of the most feared assassins in the lore. His brothers desperate to save him, drug him and bring him to a home they have secured in NOLA. What they don’t know is that the home is haunted by its owner. Naomi Laress was a famous ballerina in the 1920’s when she was murdered by her ex-fiance. Angered, she refused to leave this earthly realm and haunts her beloved home. Conrad is able to see this feisty, sensual entity and the tale that unfolds is reminiscent of Ghost and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.
- I loved Namoi. She was fun, determined and comfortable with her sexuality.
- Conrad did not handle his sibling’s attempt to save him when he turned him into the one thing he loathes – a vampire. Consumed with rage, he succumbs to bloodlust and has spent 300 years killing and fighting the memories each brings. Each victim passes their memories to him, and it has quite literally driven him insane. Before he was turned, Conrad was a virgin which made things a tad interesting, well that and the fact that Naomi isn’t corporeal. It took me a while to warm up to Conrad.
- The relationship that developed had some tender moments, humor and telephone games. Despite not being able to touch, we did get some intense heat.
- Petkoff worked his magic delivering Naomi’s voice and personality. His ability to create the accents necessary for the characters is wonderful.
- Secondary characters from previous books are present and become involved as the romance progresses. Bowen, Caden, Rydstrom, and Mariketa. Nix’s continues to be a favorite of mine. I love scenes with her and find myself laughing out loud.
- I love all things about ghosts, and of course, a romance with a vampire is complicated. While I thought Cole was creative as to how she managed it, I found it was still predictable. The trope isn’t a favorite of mine, but she gets kudos for keeping me entertained.
- While I felt the attraction of this couple, and I enjoyed their time together, I wasn’t as emotionally connected with them as previous couples.
DARK NEEDS AT WINTER’S EDGE was an enjoyable listen and I cannot wait to grab my earbuds and listen to the next one.Robert Petkoff made Dark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole an addictive listen Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone