by Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling #1
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
Nalini Singh dives into a world torn apart by a powerful race with phenomenal powers of the mind-and none of the heart. In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of "rehabilitation" - the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was... Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion - and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities - or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation.
Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh is the first in her wildly popular Psy-Changeling series. From page, one Singh’s talent for creating a story was evident and I quickly became immersed in this world of Psy and shifters.
Five Reasons to Read Slave to Sensation
- If you love original worlds filled with shifters and other supernatural creatures Slave to Sensation offers an interesting one. While some of the world feels familiar particularly the shifters, Singh introduces the Psy. The Psy are a diverse race that have abilities from telekinesis to mind control. They behave like a hive, and hold positions of power in this world. As they evolved, they removed emotions and refer to it as the “silence.” Sascha Duncan is a Psy with a dangerous secret; she has emotions and must hide them to avoid being rehabilitated.
- While the story centers around Sascha, trouble is brewing between the Psy and changelings when the brutal murders of changeling women are discovered. A joint collaboration for a housing project has Sascha and Alpha Lucas Hunter working together. He plans to use her to infiltrate the Psy and discover who the killer is. Their interaction was interesting and highlighted the prejudices of each race giving readers a greater understanding of the complexities of this world.
- The chemistry between Sascha and Lucas was clear from the beginning. Lucas’s panther can detect the differences in Sascha, but the man is confused. Sascha finds herself overwhelmed with emotions particularly for Lucas. She has to keep her protective walls up or risk discovery. Only in the carefully guarded walls of her home can she think about him. There is a playful banter between them that I found unique as Sasha kept up her façade. It was delightful watching the cracks begin to appear. Sascha may appear meek to her people, but I thought she was clever, fearless and quite the little kick-ass.
- The flow of the story allows the reader to lose themselves in the world, romance, and investigation. There are twists, discoveries, danger and sweet moments filled with heat. Singh fleshed out the characters giving us their background and allowed us to bond with them. The killer, pacts with other shifters and enter the hive as Sasha searched for the killer was intense delivering nail-biting suspense.
- The Psy are a fascinating race from their abilities to their collective minds. Singh gave us a basic understanding of their race, history and hierarchy. She also exposed flaws and I am excited to see how Sascha and others impact this society.
Slave to the Sensation is sure to induce “just one more chapter” syndrome so I recommend reading it over the weekend.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.