by Sara Raasch
Series: Snow Like Ashes, #1
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making. Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since. Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again. So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
Snow Like Ashes is a brilliant fantasy with strong world-building and fearless protagonists. This is the first book in the Snow Like Ashes trilogy by Sara Raasch I quickly became swept up in the world, and it’s characters.
Five Caffeinated Reasons to Add Snow Like Ashes to your must read list:
- Raasch’s world is incredible, and brilliantly explained. Filled with magic, and kingdoms for each season, we learn of Winters fall, their enslavement and their unyielding fight to recover what was lost. Fans of Throne of Glass will adore Snow Like Ashes.
- Miera, our female protagonist, was orphaned during the war when Winter fell. She longs to be important in efforts to restore Winter to it’s former glory by regaining their magic. She was raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir, alongside Mathers, their king . Miera is kick-ass, fearless and desires to understand the magic. Miera is clever, plagued by dreams, and cares deeply for others. Despite all she endures there are no moments of pity. She faces each encounter and grows from them. I adored her, connected with her and cannot wait to see how she transforms.
- You don’t mind if the romance is on the back burner. There is no triangle, but there are two suitors. I loved how the author kept this romance on the side. It was an interesting thread and both man are worthy suitors. Despite the fact that this wasn’t the focus, I did choose a fella, and I am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
- The novel hooked me from the first page, and the tale slowly built as the author notched up the tension. There is intense action, politics, alliances, betrayals and an evil, ruthless villain to loathe.
- Even though Snow Like Ashes is part of a trilogy it read like a standalone. It has depth, a beginning, middle and end. The ending was well-done, with just enough loose threads to have me eager to return to this world.
Snow Like Ashes was an incredible beginning to this young adult trilogy with a high fantasy feel. I cannot wait to return to these characters and this world. I have no doubt, Snow Like Ashes will be listed among my favorite books for 2014.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.