by Seanan McGuire
Series: InCryptid #1
Narrator: Emily Bauer
Length: 11 hours and 20 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...
The InCryptid series has been on my backlist for quite some time. Discount Armageddon did not disappoint! What a fun start to the InCryptid series and I am delighted I chose to listen. Snark, action, suspense and all types of paranormal creatures await you in Seanan McGuire’s Manhatten.
My blogging buddies were indeed right. I absolutely, freakin’ love the world McGuire has created. Whether she is writing as herself, Seanan McGuire or her alias, Mira Grant, McGuire is an unbelievable storyteller and has an uncanny ability to immediately pull the reader in and makes the worlds she creates completely believable and vivid. She seamlessly pulls you into a fast moving storyline all while fleshing out the world.
Reason to Grab your earbuds and listen to Discount Armageddon
- The tale takes place in an alternate world where paranormal creatures live amongst humans. The Covenant of St. George has spent centuries destroying these creatures. The Price family used to be members of this secret organization until Verity Price’s great-grandfather while doing research about the creatures broke from the group. This family and the friends they have gathered along the way call themselves cryptozoologist. They study and protect these creatures, but are also tasked with hunting them should they upset the balance or place others in danger.
- Our heroine is snarky, kickass and has issues with authority. (my kind of gal) Trained since birth to study, protect and if necessary destroy these paranormal creatures referred to as cryptids Verity Price is in Manhattan for a year to decide whether to continue in the Price tradition or pursue a career in dance. To support herself she works as a waitress at Dave’s Fish & Strips, a Cyrytid hotspot. Yes, that is strips as in dancers. Verity travels the town via rooftops and is surprisingly skilled with throwing knives and guns.
- Thanks to a bounty set by the Covenant, Verity and her family work and live in secret. We meet some of her family and learn what they are doing around the world through phone calls and emails. Verity is the oldest Price sibling, but we will meet cousins, aunts and more. It looks like each story will involve an InCryptid problem or case with an overall series arc involving the Covenant. I am all in.
- All hail the creatures! The creatures are unique, strange and fun. I think this is my favorite aspect of the world. Verity lives with Aeslin mice who can talk and worship the Price family. They were a huge source of amusement. Verity works for the Boogyman and is friends with a Medus. Her cousin, Sarah, is a telepathic mathematician known as a Cuckoo. Dragons, Sleestack, tooth fairies, basilisks and all sorts of splendid creatures make appearances. They live side by side with humans and hold jobs as bakers, cleaners, dancers and more.
- McGuire also introduces us to Dominic De Luca, a young Covenant member who arrives in Manhattan to prepare a report before the Covenant arrives to do a purge of the city. He has been trained and raised to believe cryptids are monsters and should be destroyed. All of his beliefs will come into question when he meets Verity Price.
- A shout out to the quotes and intros to each chapter. Be sure to listen or read these.
- We get a Romeo and Juliet romance that should prove to be interesting as the hero is conflicted.
- While introducing the world and its characters, Discount Armageddon delivered a suspenseful case where cryptids go missing all the city. Talks of dragons, sewer lizards, and end of times kept me listening into the wee hours.
- Fans of the Adventures of Owl by Kristi Charish, the White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland movies like Men in Black, will feel right at home in the InCryptid world.
- Emily Bauer, a new to me narrator captured both human and creatures giving them unique voices. I plan to continue the series on audio. The pacing was well done and she enhanced the humor, suspense, and emotions of the story wonderfully.
McGuire brilliantly weaved in humor, suspense and snark into this addictive story. A snarky heroine with authority issues, weird creatures, and secret societies have me eager to continue this series.All Hail the storyteller cry the Aeslin mice. Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire was a fun start to the Incrytid series from the unique creatures to its snarky heroine. Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: