by Seanan McGuire
Series: InCryptid #1
Narrator: Emily Bauer
Length: 11 hours and 20 minutes
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...
The InCryptid series has been on my backlist for quite some time. Discount Armageddon did not disappoint! What a fun start to the InCryptid series and I am delighted I chose to listen. Snark, action, suspense and all types of paranormal creatures await you in Seanan McGuire’s Manhatten.
My blogging buddies were indeed right. I absolutely, freakin’ love the world McGuire has created. Whether she is writing as herself, Seanan McGuire or her alias, Mira Grant, McGuire is an unbelievable storyteller and has an uncanny ability to immediately pull the reader in and makes the worlds she creates completely believable and vivid. She seamlessly pulls you into a fast moving storyline all while fleshing out the world.
Reason to Grab your earbuds and listen to Discount Armageddon
- The tale takes place in an alternate world where paranormal creatures live amongst humans. The Covenant of St. George has spent centuries destroying these creatures. The Price family used to be members of this secret organization until Verity Price’s great-grandfather while doing research about the creatures broke from the group. This family and the friends they have gathered along the way call themselves cryptozoologist. They study and protect these creatures, but are also tasked with hunting them should they upset the balance or place others in danger.
- Our heroine is snarky, kickass and has issues with authority. (my kind of gal) Trained since birth to study, protect and if necessary destroy these paranormal creatures referred to as cryptids Verity Price is in Manhattan for a year to decide whether to continue in the Price tradition or pursue a career in dance. To support herself she works as a waitress at Dave’s Fish & Strips, a Cyrytid hotspot. Yes, that is strips as in dancers. Verity travels the town via rooftops and is surprisingly skilled with throwing knives and guns.
- Thanks to a bounty set by the Covenant, Verity and her family work and live in secret. We meet some of her family and learn what they are doing around the world through phone calls and emails. Verity is the oldest Price sibling, but we will meet cousins, aunts and more. It looks like each story will involve an InCryptid problem or case with an overall series arc involving the Covenant. I am all in.
- All hail the creatures! The creatures are unique, strange and fun. I think this is my favorite aspect of the world. Verity lives with Aeslin mice who can talk and worship the Price family. They were a huge source of amusement. Verity works for the Boogyman and is friends with a Medus. Her cousin, Sarah, is a telepathic mathematician known as a Cuckoo. Dragons, Sleestack, tooth fairies, basilisks and all sorts of splendid creatures make appearances. They live side by side with humans and hold jobs as bakers, cleaners, dancers and more.
- McGuire also introduces us to Dominic De Luca, a young Covenant member who arrives in Manhattan to prepare a report before the Covenant arrives to do a purge of the city. He has been trained and raised to believe cryptids are monsters and should be destroyed. All of his beliefs will come into question when he meets Verity Price.
- A shout out to the quotes and intros to each chapter. Be sure to listen or read these.
- We get a Romeo and Juliet romance that should prove to be interesting as the hero is conflicted.
- While introducing the world and its characters, Discount Armageddon delivered a suspenseful case where cryptids go missing all the city. Talks of dragons, sewer lizards, and end of times kept me listening into the wee hours.
- Fans of the Adventures of Owl by Kristi Charish, the White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland movies like Men in Black, will feel right at home in the InCryptid world.
- Emily Bauer, a new to me narrator captured both human and creatures giving them unique voices. I plan to continue the series on audio. The pacing was well done and she enhanced the humor, suspense, and emotions of the story wonderfully.
McGuire brilliantly weaved in humor, suspense and snark into this addictive story. A snarky heroine with authority issues, weird creatures, and secret societies have me eager to continue this series.
[bctt tweet=”All Hail the storyteller cry the Aeslin mice. Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire was a fun start to the Incrytid series from the unique creatures to its snarky heroine. ” username=”kimbacaffeinate”]
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Verity sounds like my kind of heroine as well, Kimberly. I also am a fan of Shakespeare-inspired stories and I’m curious about all these different kinds of creatures, too. McGuire is an author that’s been on my tbr for awhile. I need to get to her! 🙂
I will be starting the fifth audio and having fun with the series.
My kind of girl too!
Have you read or listened to these Stefanie? I am listened to the first four and hope to finish the series in March.
Not at all. And yay! My library has the kindle and hardcover version.
I love this series a lot! So much fun each time and so many interesting characters! I love the mice!
Yes, I love the mice too!
The mice were the best! And I liked the whole parkour/ free running angle too, that was nice. I still haven’t read the sequel but I liked this one.
I’ve listened to the first four. We switch POVs in book three and head to Ohio, then Australia.
Aleen @ Lampshade Reader
This one sounds like a keeper! I listened to a sample just now because you got me so interested in it! I have one credit available and I just might use it on this one…
I hope you decide to grab it.
Looks like you had fun with this book.
I really did 🙂
This sounds good. I am adding this one to my list. I am looking for interesting and unique stories and this sounds perfect.
Sweet. I am enjoying the series Nadene.
Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books
This sounds like something that I would really like. I am all for unique creatures. I will have to put this on my wish list. Great review!
Yay, I hope you try them, Carole.
I’ve read two of her books and the Aeslin Mice are my favorite things about the books. Big surprise there, right? lol
I would never have guessed. *winks*
You had me at talking mice! I just went and got it from Audible. I also like that book 2 is already out!
Hehe. I hope you love it. I am on audio 4 and loving the series.
“as the hero is conflicted” — As usual (LOL)! Thanks for the post.
It would seem so.
Ohhh audio would be so cool!
It really is Linda. I am on book four and loving the series.
Holy Snikies! I’ve been missing out, too. This series with Verity Price and her family and the creature feature sounds great. Thanks for putting it on my radar, Kimberly!
The series is fun Sophia, I finished the first four and have been loving them. We change perspectives and locations in book three.
goodness I’ve had this author (under both names) back and forth on my lists to read but something always holds me back. I feel like I would enjoy this series on audio but I’m a bit swamped in my audiobook TBR so I guess I’ll have to push the titles under this author back some more. i’m glad this story ended up working out for you.
I absolutely love her Grant books and have only read book one of her popular McGuire series. I am planning to begin it again.
Angela @ Angel's Guilty Pleasures
Very nice review. This sounds interesting.
Thanks, Angela. I have been in a huge UF/PNR mood lately and loving hitting up my backlist.
Right up my alley thanks Kim, super review!
Tanya @ Rantings of a Reading Addict
Loved the mice! I have only read this first book, but have been meaning to get onto the rest.
I am on the fourth audio and loving the series Tanya.
Sounds yummy and right up my alley. Great review,
Yes, I think you’d love the combo of UF and mystery Sherry.
This MC definitely sounds like the kind of heroine I love. 🙂 Thanks for sharing – I do believe I’d really love this series too.
It’s a lot of fun and we get to know the other family members. We even get to travel to Australia.
Snarky. Love it. Sounds like a good audiobook. Thanks for the review!
It was a lot of fun. I am on book 4 now and loving the series.
I have missed commenting around for awhile but happy to be back!
Glad to see you back. I have spent almost all of 2018 being sick 🙁
Ohhh… I am very sorry to hear that. I hope that the rest of 2018 is very healthy for you!
I love a snarky heroine! Great review, thanks for sharing.
the descriptions are utterly confusing.. what is an asbestos supermodel? someone who models that thing? or someone made from asbestos… if so I’d too, rather tango with the demon
LOL, me too Ailyn.