by Alexandra Bracken
Series: Passenger #1
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she’s never heard of. Until now. Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods—a powerful family in the colonies—and the servitude he’s known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can’t escape and the family that won’t let him go so easily. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, Nicholas’ passenger, can find. In order to protect her, he must ensure she brings it back to them— whether she wants to or not. Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveler who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods’ grasp. But as they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are playing, treacherous forces threaten to separate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home . . . forever
Alexandra Bracken writes MAGIC and I was excited to dive into Passenger the first book in her new time traveling Passenger trilogy. Suspenseful and engaging we travel the timeline with our heroine and hero as they try to save her mother and stop the ruthless head of Ironwood.
Five Caffeinated reasons to grab a copy of Passenger
- The writing Alexandra Bracken brings the world(s) of Passenger to life as we travel from present day to the colonies, jungle and more on our quest. She brilliant captures each period allowing the reader to travel from the comfort of their sofa. Bracken is a masterful storyteller and quickly drew me into the tale. The pacing is balanced and the rules unfolded perfectly.
- The plot Etta Spencer discovers she has inherited a legacy when she is thrust from present day to the colonies and forced to do Ironwood’s bidding. Along the way she must solve the clues her mother has left for her. It was exciting as she decided whom to trust and what to do about this sought after object.. The overall story arc is intense and has me craving Wayfarer, the next novel in the series scheduled for release in 2017.
- The ship A sweet, forbidden romance develops between Etta and her companion Nicholas Carter. Nicolas is a pirate searching for freedom and his impossible story touched me. Slow building, tender, heartbreaking and forbidden this romance will have you swooning.
- Time travel I adore time travel novels and Bracken has established a unique concept with portals, warring families and history. I enjoyed how she allowed the reader to learn about this legacy along with Etta. It created suspense, as we needed to decide who was foe or ally. The storyline raised question for the reader. What would you do if you could travel back in time? Would you stop a war or save a loved one?
- The characters Bracken delightfully introduced colorful, diverse characters as the tale unfolded giving balance to the suspenseful quest as we jumped into different periods. While the villains are not as fleshed out, we learned enough to fear them and I look forward to some of the things the author hinted about.
If you are looking for a brilliant adventure with a little swoon, I invite you to book your passage on the Passenger.