by A.L. Jackson
Series: Closer to You #3
His heart was turned off… Until she turned him on…Christopher Moore gave up on the idea of love years ago. Now, his life is an endless string of parties and an even longer string of girls. Enjoying the physical perks with none of the emotional mess, hes convinced everyone that hes satisfied—everyone but himself. Samantha Schultz has moved on with her life. Finishing her student teaching and living with her boyfriend, shes deluded herself into believing shes content. But there is one boy she never forgot—her first love—and she keeps the memory of him locked up tight. She will never allow any man to break her the way Christopher did. When Christopher's sister and her family move into a new neighborhood, Christopher is completely unprepared to find Samantha living at the end of the street. Memories and unspent desires send them on collision course of sex, lies, and lust. But when guilt and fear send Samantha running, Christopher will have to fight for what has always been his
Come to Me Recklessly is the third book in the Closer to You series by A. L. Jackson and while it will work as a standalone. I recommend reading them in order. Jackson has taken us on quite the ride and I was anxious for Christopher Moore’s story. It has been obvious throughout the series that Christopher is avoiding painful issues of the heart and in Come to Me Recklessly, his past meets his present. The tale was emotional, heartwarming and bittersweet. Despite a personal hurdle for me, I enjoyed Come to Me Recklessly and all of its feels.
- Jackson has centered the tale on three childhood friends Aly, her brother Christopher and their neighbor Jared. In the first two books, we deal with Aly and Jared. This time around, we see the impact an event in their teen years had on Christopher and met his first love Samantha Schultz. At its heart, this story is a second chance romance.
- Jackson brings us up close and personal with both Christopher and Samantha using dual points of view. I love this perspective especially when there is a shared history. We get to see how both felt and reacted to the past events that ripped them apart and get their current perspectives as well.
- Come to Me Recklessly picks up almost seven years after their relationship ended, when Aly and Jared bump into Samantha at the supermarket. A dinner party and an unexpected visit from Christopher have the two meeting again and we feel their emotions from seeing each other to dealing with the scars from long ago. It is at times messy and others are simply beautiful. Jackson gives us flashbacks from their youth giving us a sense of their feelings, mindset and revealing miscommunications.
- Besides weaving in beloved characters Jackson also shares a wonderful bittersweet tale about Samantha’s little brother that will have you giggling and shedding a tear. It was a beautiful thread that served to remind us to live each moment.
- Updates from secondary characters and Jackson’s ability to make you understand each character whether you agree or disagree with their behavior makes her one of my favorite authors in this genre.
- When Samantha and Christopher encounter each other, Samantha has a live in boyfriend and while it is a very complicated situation, I struggled when the lines blurred. Since both have unresolved issues I agree, they needed to work things out, clear the air and heal but beyond that I had very little patience when a third party is involved. Samantha should have lived on her own for a bit to sort shit out. However with age comes wisdom and I realize not everything is black and white. Did Jackson change my mind? Nope. I still say leave and figure your stuff out.
Come to Me Recklessly was beautiful, complicated and bittersweet. I recommend the Closer to You series for fans of Colleen Hoover, Jamie McGuire and Jessica Sorensen.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.