by Jannine Gallant
Series: Who's Watching Now #1
Genres: Romantic Suspense
No matter where she goes, he knows her every move… Long ago, Rachel Carpenter was a glamorous soap star. She gave it all up to move to Napa Valley with her daughters to open up a bookstore near her family vineyard. Her life is safe and dependable, until she encounters Kane Lafferty at a wilderness camp in the rugged High Sierra. A burned-out police detective struggling with his own demons, Kane is instantly attracted to Rachel. And like Rachel, he isn’t sure if he’s ready to open up his heart. But everything is about to change… Someone is watching from the darkness. A fanatic obsessed with Rachel for years has decided to claim what he believes is his. It will be up to Kane to not only protect his new love and her family, but to uncover the identity of the stalker before it’s too late for all of them…
Every Move She Makes by Jannine Gallant is the first book in her new romantic suspense series Who’s Watching Now. Action packed, with a small-town vibe I quickly became caught up in this low-heat tale.
Five reasons to grab a cup of Joe and curl up with Every Move She Makes
- The Setting: From the rugged High Sierra campground to the charming coffee shop/book store the protagonist owns in the Napa Valley I found myself feeling right at home with the setting. I love small-towns and their close-knit communities. Rachel lives in a Victorian home complete with a picket fence, children and an over-sized dog.
- Characters: Rachel Carpenter, former soap star, divorcee and single mother of three girls, she felt genuine and I quickly connected. She relocated to the Napa Valley to be closer to family and open up a bookstore to support her family. She does not date often, and has her head on straight. Kane Lafferty is a police detective on leave after a shooting went wrong. He is burned out and struggling with his own demons when he meets Rachel, through a friend. Kane is sweet, protective and the man can cook. Yum. The kids will steal your heart even the oldest who is snarky, fiercely independent, and fourteen with purple hair!
- The Plot: I love a good suspenseful story and Gallant built up the suspense. We know someone is watching and we even get a glimpse inside this obsessed fan’s mind. It was chilling as he became bolder. To me it was like watching a scary movie where a musical score begins and you know something bad is going to happen. That is how the tale unfolds, you are part of their daily lives, see Kane and Rachel form a relationship and all the while, they are unaware. Eep!
- The Romance: If you like slow-burning romances with low-heat, sweet moments and dogs underfoot then Every Move She Makes, has a romance you will enjoy. While Rachel and Kane spend more time together, the romance did not overshadow the suspense and their feelings felt genuine. The kids forced things to develop slowly despite the sexual tension between them.
- The writing: Gallant created a suspenseful tale as she increased the intensity with every page. She fleshed out the characters and kept them grounded with small-town living and daily life. The tale was realistic without over the top drama or unrealistic action scenes.
Every Move She Makes offered a complete story and I am curious to see if I will recognize any of the secondary characters in the second novel of the series- Every Step She Takes.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.