by Jannine Gallant
Series: Who's Watching Now #1
Genres: Romantic Suspense
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
No matter where she goes, he knows her every move… Long ago, Rachel Carpenter was a glamorous soap star. She gave it all up to move to Napa Valley with her daughters to open up a bookstore near her family vineyard. Her life is safe and dependable, until she encounters Kane Lafferty at a wilderness camp in the rugged High Sierra. A burned-out police detective struggling with his own demons, Kane is instantly attracted to Rachel. And like Rachel, he isn’t sure if he’s ready to open up his heart. But everything is about to change… Someone is watching from the darkness. A fanatic obsessed with Rachel for years has decided to claim what he believes is his. It will be up to Kane to not only protect his new love and her family, but to uncover the identity of the stalker before it’s too late for all of them…
Every Move She Makes by Jannine Gallant is the first book in her new romantic suspense series Who’s Watching Now. Action packed, with a small-town vibe I quickly became caught up in this low-heat tale.
Five reasons to grab a cup of Joe and curl up with Every Move She Makes
- The Setting: From the rugged High Sierra campground to the charming coffee shop/book store the protagonist owns in the Napa Valley I found myself feeling right at home with the setting. I love small-towns and their close-knit communities. Rachel lives in a Victorian home complete with a picket fence, children and an over-sized dog.
- Characters: Rachel Carpenter, former soap star, divorcee and single mother of three girls, she felt genuine and I quickly connected. She relocated to the Napa Valley to be closer to family and open up a bookstore to support her family. She does not date often, and has her head on straight. Kane Lafferty is a police detective on leave after a shooting went wrong. He is burned out and struggling with his own demons when he meets Rachel, through a friend. Kane is sweet, protective and the man can cook. Yum. The kids will steal your heart even the oldest who is snarky, fiercely independent, and fourteen with purple hair!
- The Plot: I love a good suspenseful story and Gallant built up the suspense. We know someone is watching and we even get a glimpse inside this obsessed fan’s mind. It was chilling as he became bolder. To me it was like watching a scary movie where a musical score begins and you know something bad is going to happen. That is how the tale unfolds, you are part of their daily lives, see Kane and Rachel form a relationship and all the while, they are unaware. Eep!
- The Romance: If you like slow-burning romances with low-heat, sweet moments and dogs underfoot then Every Move She Makes, has a romance you will enjoy. While Rachel and Kane spend more time together, the romance did not overshadow the suspense and their feelings felt genuine. The kids forced things to develop slowly despite the sexual tension between them.
- The writing: Gallant created a suspenseful tale as she increased the intensity with every page. She fleshed out the characters and kept them grounded with small-town living and daily life. The tale was realistic without over the top drama or unrealistic action scenes.
Every Move She Makes offered a complete story and I am curious to see if I will recognize any of the secondary characters in the second novel of the series- Every Step She Takes.
I love a good slow burn and it has a police detective hero too! The only thing that may make this one not for me is the low steam. I like it in some books, mainly if the plot does not call for it in say–a horror. But if it revolves around a couple and their relationship I like a little more steam. So I’m glad you pointed it out 🙂
Great review for what I know is a great book. Congrats, Jannine. Well done.
Thanks for stopping by Margo, glad you enjoyed it as well
I love the sound of the small town setting, and the romance and suspense. I hadn’t heard of this so thanks for introducing me to it!
Anytime Lauren, this was a good one:)
Slow burning is good, romantic suspense is good, small communities are good, and that t-shirt on the cover is so good ! OK, you won me, I want to read it 🙂
hehe…Every Move She Makes for da win!
Congratulations, Jannine! I love your writing and cannot wait for this book to start off a series I already know I will love!!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Donna
Sharon - Obsession with Books
I love a slow burning romance and a suspenseful read, this sounds great!
A wonderful review Kimba!
Thanks Sharon I do too 🙂
Suspense and romance equals a great read! Thanks for the post!!
I agree, and well ya know I have a thing for this genre
Small town + slow burn + suspense is the best combo, Kim! I’ve never heard of this book, but I like the sound of it!
Right..its got so many elements to enjoy!
Loved your review of my book. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as you did! Thanks for posting!
Thank you so much, and I appreciate you stopping by 🙂
I love small town settings, slow burn romance, and suspense in a story! Every Move She Makes sounds like a real page turner. Great Review Kim 🙂
It kept me caught up, thanks Lindiy
Brandi Breathes Books
I do like the slow burners and Rachel sounds like a character I could enjoy
I do too Brandi.
These books featuring a once famous heroine who is being stalked by an obsessed fan are a guilty pleasure for me. I love the suspense aspect to this romance. Sounds great, will be adding to my TBR 😀
Ooo I am glad I shared then..have to feed your guilty pleasures
Ah, the books you read have the feel of the most decadent chocolate – or coffee, depending on the individual taste 😀 This one wants reading really bad. I like the protagonist from the way you’re describing it alone, purple-haired kids, white picket fence and all. And it’s a blend of romance and mystery, which pretty much guarantees a wide range of happy readers and no boredom. Very good review, Kimba 🙂
Yes this will appeal to a large group of readers 🙂
This sounds pretty good! I love the sound of setting and the suspense for sure!
It was a fun ride and I loved the added suspense of getting to know the villain
Hey Kim great review I love the FANatic premise and of course dogs make every read better. Thanks
Oh I love when there are pets involved 🙂
Oh this one sounds interesting and I can’t away an opportunity to read about a man in a uniform *smiles*
Oh yes those men in uniform..swoon!
I grew up in the Sierra foothills so I love when books are set there- so pretty. I love the idea of a cop, a gal with kids and a suspense plot. Thanks for the intro to another one I want to read, Kimberly. 😉
Oh how cool that you grew up there Sophia..hope you read it
Dang you and your romantic suspense-s lately Kim. I really want to read one but I have so many other things scheduled for the rest of the TBR challenge that I want to read, I just don’t think it is going to happen.
Glad this was another great read and a great start to a new series!
I hear you, keep in mind I read this one in February..lol
I enjoyed this one a lot and the simmer was fun to watch.
Sweet, I am glad you liked it too Bea 🙂
I can tell the suspense aspect of this one is going to tie me up in knots – in a good way. I can feel the stress of knowing someone’s watching them and not being able to warn them at all coming on! Love when I get all involved in a story like that:)
I liked that added suspense Jenny
I do love those slow burning romances…they are some of the best ones. Great reviews.
I agree, and I loved the family element
i do like slow burning 😀
Oh it’s always nice to have a slow romance, I love that! I’m so tired of insta-love. Plus it’s I really like a suspense story as well. I’m intrigued!
Yeah, it is nice to get a slow-burn which we don’t always see in romantic suspense
Oh this sounds like something I would like to read. I will try to remember when it comes out. Thanks!
I love romantic suspense , enjoy Lorna 🙂