Clean up and Refresh
It’s the start of a new year and the perfect time to look over your blog, update your social media and catch up on any maintenance. We are often busy creating new posts, reading and making sure that are blogs are up and running, that we often forget to clean things up, make sure links are working and updating archives.
Social Media Links
- I am often surprised when a commentor doesn’t leave links or those links are outdated. I love to comment back and visit others. I readily accept the challenge and try to find you but most will not and you’ve lost a potential follower. Your social media links are so important. Do you know how I found some of my favorite blogs and closest bloggy friends? I was visiting another blog, saw their thoughtful comment and clicked on their icon. Do you know how often that leads to a broken link or no information? More often than you think.
- Social icon image. If you are a blogger you should have an easily identifiable icon attached to commenting systems. Be sure and update Comment Luv, WordPress, Blogger, Intense Database, Gavitar etc with your image, and profile links. Comments are a viable way to promote your blog.
I challenge all of you to update your profiles. Double check all links and add any new relevant links.
Sidebars and Widgets
- Remove the blogs you follow that don’t have images or links that work. Update favorites and add the new blogs you have discovered in 2014.
- Remove any outdated challenge or images.
- Declutter. A Good rule of thumb..your sidebar shouldn’t be longer then your post. (consider making pages for memberships, blog love and favorites. You can see mine in the About Me menu)
- Check all links to social media. Make a habit of checking all of your links periodically.
- Update archives
- Clean up Categories and Tags -go through index and check for duplicates, and misspellings.
- Update your challenges for 2014/2015
- Archive any old pages
- Check Bloglovin’ and Feedly. Is your blog appearing more than once? Email them and combine profiles. Some of you have not one, not two but three blog profiles on Bloglovin’. One email can combine them and their stats!
- Check blog for broken links. For WordPress users you can use the plugin Broken Line Checker on Blogger try this Broken Link Checker
- Streamline your follows by creating uniform social follow icons. Try these free sites: Vandelay Design, Hongkit.com or Line 25 Eliminate ones you are no longer using and use icons whenever possible.
- Change up the color, add a new header
- If you are on WordPress organize this year with the UBB plugin and save time
- Is there something you’ve always wanted to learn to do on your blog? Make this the year you learn and then share your knowledge with a blog post.
- Evaluate your blog -what works, which posts are most popular
- Get inspired..mix up your reviews, add a discussion post, try something new
- Set goals. Start with a few small ones, then set a year-end goal and a 3 year plan. Keep it fun.