by Nora Roberts
Published by: Penguin
Genres: Romantic Suspense
From #1 New York Times-bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a novel of a woman who needs nothing, a man who sees everything, and the web of deceit, greed, and danger that brings them together—and could tear them apart . . .When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one. . . .Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession. . . .
I adore Nora Roberts novels from her books filled with paranormal woo-woo to her romantic suspense and everything in-between. Honestly, I think I have read every one of her books since I was a teen. While they are not always, my favorite books I can whole-heartedly claim I enjoyed them all. The Collector for me was exceptional, with its interesting, quirky heroine to the suspense-filled tale that had me flipping the pages and losing track of reality.
Five Reasons to Grab a chocolate flavored coffee and nestle down with The Collector:
1. Lila Emerson- House sitter extraordinaire, young adult-paranormal writer and female MacGyver. I adored Lila and found her lifestyle fascinating. If my husband ever passes before me, I have decided I want to be a house sitter and go all over the world taking care of family pets, plants and homes for the wealthy. Have laptop will travel. Lila was quirky, quick-witted and for a petite little thing she is a total kick-ass.
2. Artist Austin Archer is a worthy hero. While his father is alive, he is the unspoken head of the family to a misfit group of siblings and extended family. He is a very talented artist and the descriptions alone of his work made me want to own them. Ash is an enterprising person, a problem solver and protects those in his circle.
3. The romance – We get two, Lila’s and a second chance romance for her best friend and a yummy baker who could bake scones for me any day. The relationship built slowly, with moments of heat, laughter and compromises that made me giggle, swoon and I genuinely want them to find their happy.
4. The murder mystery and quest were intense and took us from the city to Florence. Rare Russian antiques, history, and ruthless collectors made for some intense scenes. Roberts is superb at creating a believable story, and the flow was beautifully paced and balanced between the romances.
5. The villains- Roberts’ villain is powerful and employs ruthless agents to broker his deals and handle the dirty work that includes murder, bloody interrogations and unlimited wealth at their disposal. Jai is a ruthless, bloodthirsty agent, and her methods are chilling making her role in the story as important as our hero and heroine.
The Collector was an intense romantic suspense that encompassed all the elements that I have come to love in this genre. It is an excellent addition to Roberts collection and one that stands out among the others.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone