by Molly Harper
Narrator: Amanda Ronconi
Length: 8 hours and 58 minutes
Genres: Mystery, Paranormal Romance
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Narration: 4 cups
When Nina Linden is hired to landscape a private island off the New England coast, she sees it as her chance to rebuild her failing business after being cheated by her unscrupulous ex. She never expects that her new client, software mogul Deacon Whitney, would see more in her than just a talented gardener. Deacon has paid top dollar to the crews he's hired to renovate the desolate Whitney estate - he had to, because the bumps, thumps, and unexplained sightings of ghostly figures in 19th-century dress are driving workers away faster than he can say "Boo". But Nina shows no signs of being scared away, even as she experiences some unnerving apparitions herself. And as the two of them work closely together to restore the mansion's faded glory, Deacon realizes that he's found someone who doesn't seem to like his fortune more than himself - while Nina may have finally found the one man she can trust with her bruised and battered heart. But something on the island doesn't believe in true love...and if Nina and Deacon can't figure out how to put these angry spirits to rest, their own love doesn't stand a ghost of a chance
I have always wanted to try one of Molly Harper’s books and when the chance to review Better Homes and Hauntings audio arose, I jumped. I love paranormal woo-woo with haunted houses, family lore and island settings. Harper offered up a simple, entertaining tale that will have you rooting for the characters and wanting to defuse a ghost.
• Better Homes and Hauntings is a standalone paranormal romance filled with humor, a benevolent spirit and diverse group of people working to restore an old family mansion.
• The setting is fantastic. The home is on an island surrounded by water and reached by boat. The house built in the early 1900’s has secret nooks, a ballroom and tons of atmosphere perfect for spirits.
• The cast is very diverse from the tech geek to the gardener creating for entertaining meals, feuds and friendships. We get multiple Pov’s, and the narrator did an excellent job of bringing forth their personalities which added to the listener’s enjoyment. I loved the banter, late night girls’ talk, the bickering and of course, the romances that developed.
• Ghosts, old family legends, murder and more made Better Homes and Hauntings interesting. I loved the old family tragedy, the hauntings and the slow build as the entities’ anger escalated. Back-stories and threats from Nina’s past had me fully engaged.
• The romances were very different. Nina and Deacon’s romance so cute, sweet, awkward and funny. Cindy and Jack had history and theirs was a haters to lovers’ romance that made for a hilarious listen.
• Amanda Ronconi did an excellent job narrating and quickly gave a unique voice to each character making the transition from each character seamless. The humor and hauntings were enhanced by her skill set.
• While we get a few creep-tastic moments, for the most part this is a G haunting, and I would have loved darker tones.
• The tale is predictable, and moments lagged a little, but overall this was entertaining.
• A little something was missing, and I cannot quite figure out exactly what I needed. Perhaps because no aspect of the tale was the main focus, and multiple POVs left me wanting more depth.
If you are looking for a fun, sexy tale with ghosts and fun characters then Better Homes and Hauntings should be your next listen. I will be reading/listening to Harper again.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.