by Gail Z. Martin
Series: Deadly Curiosities #1
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
Cassidy Kincaide owns Trifles & Folly, an antique/curio store and high-end pawn shop in Charleston, South Carolina that is more than what it seems. Dangerous magical and supernatural items sometimes find their way into mortal hands or onto the market, and Cassidy is part of a shadowy Alliance of mortals and mages whose job it is to take those deadly curiosities out of circulation. Welcome to Trifles & Folly, an antique and curio shop with a dark secret. Proprietor Cassidy Kincaide continues a family tradition begun in 1670—acquiring and neutralizing dangerous supernatural items. It’s the perfect job for Cassidy, whose psychic gift lets her touch an object and know its history. Together with her business partner Sorren, a 500 year-old vampire and former jewel thief, Cassidy makes it her business to get infernal objects off the market. When mundane antiques suddenly become magically malicious, it’s time for Cassidy and Sorren to get rid of these Deadly Curiosities before the bodies start piling up
Deadly Curiosities set in Charleston, South Carolina is the first in the Deadly Curiosities series by Gail Z. Martin. An old school urban fantasy with a Warehouse 13 vibe, this tale was action packed. Filled with magic, supernatural creatures and possessed objects. I quickly consumed this and look forward to reading more.
Five reasons to grab a cup of coffee and curl up with Deadly Curiosities
1. A great setting makes you Squee! I love Charleston, South Carolina and its wonderful history. Martin makes good use of Charleston’s rich history from historical buildings to its history with pirates, slaves and rogues. Our protagonist owns Trifles & Folly an antique curio shop or high-end pawnshop. Not all of the objects passing through her doors are safe to be resold, and I found the details to be fascinating. Martin does an excellent job of providing history and understanding of the world in this urban fantasy. I loved how she tied supernatural occurrences’ to plagues’, hurricanes and unexplained weather phenomena. It was brilliant.
2. Cool characters and spirits! Cassidy Kincade is the owner of Trifles & Folly. The store has been in her family since 1670 and has a dark secret. They acquire and neutralize dangerous supernatural elements. Cassidy is a psychometric. She possesses a unique gift that allows her to read an object simply by touching it. It is not all giggles though as some objects can cause side effects. Teag is her best friend, and bodyguard. As a Weaver, he handles all the research on objects they acquire. For objects that are too dangerous, they call Sorren, a five hundred year old vampire and former jewel thief. Spirits are present and either, aid, or hinder the investigation.
3. Unique, fresh world building excites you. Cassidy draws power from objects like wooden spoons and quilts. It was all very clever. Martin weaves in different cultures, spells to ward off evil and the power of the moon to draw strength. I loved it, and found myself lost in the pages.
4. Intense, action packed tales are you thing. Deadly Curiosities has it all from possessed objects to vicious murders. The tale was clever, and well crafted. Martin brought the battles, and scenes to life from inanimate objects attacking to minions snarling and clawing. It raised the hair on my arms and had me flipping the pages.
5. You do not need a romance to satisfy you. You can be caught up in the characters and mystery without needed a side of swoon. There is no romance, well Teag is in a relationship with a smexy and handsome lawyer who does not quite understand what Teag’s job entails. Deadly Curiosities read like an old urban fantasy where the focus is on the case and I loved every minute of it. This case deals with mundane objects causing problems and vicious murders that could not have been done by something of this world. It was action packed and exciting.
Deadly Curiosities offered so many elements I enjoy from downtown Charleston to old museums with possessed artifacts..it was creeptastic! I look forward to spending more time with Cassidy, Teag, and Sorren.