by Madeline Martin
Series: Mercenary Maidens #1
Narrator: Dave Gillies
Length: 11 hours and 11 minutes
Genres: Historical Romance
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4 cups
Ariana Fitzroy has lost her family and her fortune. The fight for survival leads her to the shadowed card games of court, where she discovers she has quite a talent for slipping cards into her favor. While the winnings are enough to sustain her at present, they will not last forever . . . Connor Grant, trainer of the fallen women from the English court and personal assassin to the king, is just as broken as the women he trains. After losing his own land and all his people in a brutal attack from a trusted friend, he has no choice but to rebuild any way he sees possible-even if it means going against everything he's ever believed in. After catching Ariana cheating at cards, Connor has a new trainee to instruct at one of the king's many confiscated castles. In the dilapidated ruins, he discovers Ariana is more than she appears and falls in love with her incredible tenacity and dedication-a love that is challenged by Connor's chance at reclaiming the inheritance he once lost and has sought so desperately to regain.
I was in the mood for a good historical romance and decided to listen to HIGHLAND SPY by Madeline Martin. The audio narrated by Dave Gillies promised female spies, assassins, and romance. From the exciting missions to the slow building romance, Martin had me hooked.
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to Highland Spy
- HIGHLAND SPY is perfect for fans of tales wrapped in romance, history, and suspense. The royal English court and hillsides of Scotland in the seventeenth century were the perfect backdrop to this exciting tale. Martin sheds light on the trials women face in this era while highlighting their strengths. Conner Grant, an assassin for the king, trains fallen females to be spies for the crown. If you love espionage and intrigue paired with strong characters and romance you will be delighted.
- Conner Grant is a complicated and honorable man. You can feel the responsibility and struggles he faces with regard to these women and the crown. As Martin peeled back his layers, I found I connected and understood him. It was fun seeing him train these women, face his past, and succumb to Ariana.
- Despite her social status, Ariana Fitzroy our heroine has had a tough life. When Conner discovers her cheating at cards, she knows she is done. I really felt for Ariana and the lot in life she was given. She is tough, compassionate, smart, and determined. In her quest to prove her worth, she muddles things. More than once I wondered how she was going to get out of the mess she created. Despite working for the crown, Ariana enjoys the empowerment and friendship with the other women.
- I loved the complexities of the story but also how wonderfully paced the tale was. This was my first experience with Madeline Martin but it won’t be my last. Her writing easily allowed me to slip in, imagine the characters and become caught up in the different threads. While I anticipated a happily ever after, the danger, twists, and surprises along the way made for an addictive listen. The romance developed slowly and had its share of drama, heat, and banter. I quite enjoyed hearing it all unfold.
- Dave Gillies narrates and he has the perfect accent and pacing to enhance these highlanders and spies. I had a delightful time listening and enjoyed both his male and female voices.
Well crafted with rogue highlanders and spies HIGHLAND SPY delivered an addictive historical romantic suspense.Highland Spy by Madeline Martin delivered an addictive historical romantic suspense Click To Tweet