by Colleen Houck
Series: The Reawakened #1
Narrator: Phoebe Strole, Mark Deakins
Length: 13 hrs
Purchase*: Amazon | Audible *affiliate
Narration: 4 cups
When seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young enters the Metropolitan Museum of Art one morning during spring break, the last thing she expects to find is a live Egyptian prince with godlike powers, who has been reawakened after a thousand years of mummification. And she really can’t imagine being chosen to aid him in an epic quest that will lead them across the globe. But fate has taken hold of Lily, and she, along with her sun prince, Amon, must travel to the Valley of the Kings, raise his brothers, and stop an evil, shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world. From New York Times bestselling author Colleen Houck comes an epic adventure about two star-crossed teens who must battle mythical forces and ancient curses on a journey with more twists and turns than the Nile itself.
Reawakened by Colleen Houck takes the reader on an adventurous quest from New York City to the tombs of Egypt. Wrapped in Egyptian mythology Awakened and its tale of good vs evil and forbidden romance will captivate listeners. While I struggled with aspects, I quite enjoyed the narrative voices of Phoebe Strole and Mark Deakins and this original fantasy.
- The entire concept of Reawakened was fascinating, original and fully developed. Lilliana Young discovers Amon an Egyptian prince who has reawakened after a thousand years of mummification. Yep, our love interest is a mummy! Lily must aid him in his quest to raise his brothers and battle the evil god Seth. Ancient curses, danger, and travel to the Valley of the Kings delivered an epic tale of good vs evil.
- Lilliana Young (Lily) our young protagonist is seventeen and struggling with the high expectations of her successful, career driven parents. She is trying to choose the college she will attend as well as her major. In her heart, she knows what she wants to do, but fears defying her parents. Meeting Amon and embarking on their quest allows for tremendous growth in Lily.
- Amon and his brothers were fascinating and Houck did a wonderful job of sharing their story. When the brothers joined the story, the intensity increased and the author managed to share the bond these brothers share. I really enjoyed their storyline and their battle with Seth.
- The forbidden aspect intensified the romance that develops between Amon and Lily. The romance delivered swoon-worthy moments, delicious banter and a touch of humor. I imagine that many readers will declare Amon their next book boyfriend particularly after their first kiss!
- Despite some issues, (see below) the world was rich in detail, and the overall arc with its Egyptian mythology, Gods and quests kept me listening. Houck created complex, likeable characters even allowing secondary characters moments to shine. The tale ended at a good place, with only a little cliffhanger to build excitement.
- Phoebe Strole and Mark Deakins did a wonderful job of narrating, although there were times when the voices of Lily and Amon sounded too similar. Deakins shared the Egyptian mythology and his voice was pleasant.
- The first section of the audio dragged in part because of information dumps. While in the end, I appreciated the details I wish the flow allowed me to slip in sooner. I found the last one-third of the story riveting. It took a full week of listening to complete Reawakened. When an audio holds me spellbound I can devour in just a few sessions. Problems with the pacing, wordiness and info dumps attributed to my issues.
- While the romance was adorable and had swoon-worthy moments, Amon is a mummy! Details about his mummification and lack of organs kept entering my mind. LOL.
- I really felt the tale could have withstood additional editing allowing for better pacing. The conversations dragged in areas and I felt other parts were an unnecessary rehashing of information or character opinions.
Reawakened delivered a fascinating adventure and is sure to please young adult fantasy fans. While I had some issues, I am curious to see what will happen in Recreated the next book in the Reawakened series expected to publish in 2016.
i missed this review! aww i read the book and yes it was quite boring somewhere in the front. Glad you liked it, I was just okay with it
When I first heard about this book back in July, I broke my neck to pre-order it for my birthday, (august 17th) and guess what, I still haven’t been able to pick it up yet. I’ve always been fascinated by Egypt, and how cool is it that the story involves a mummy?! I’m so glad you enjoyed this Kim, it gives me something to look forward to!
I loved the mythology aspect of the story and the last part was intense..enjoy Tika 🙂
This does sound kind of interesting. Maybe I’ll try the print version. I tried reading her Tiger series but couldn’t get into it.
I have heard that from others. I enjoyed the mythology aspect
So what you are saying is that the romance is pretty much doomed. I was hoping since he reawakened that he was at least human again. The romantic in me wouldn’t like that much I think 🙂 Maybe his magic or whatever awakened him will make him human again in the sequel. Enjoyed your review 🙂
He does look human, and act human. It was a decent read with some aspects stronger than others.
I love all different mythology and I look forward to reading this one! I just snagged it from the library. I also love swoon-worthy romance moments in my books. 😉
Enjoy Kay..I loved the mythology.
The love interest being mummy is a little weird but I guess I kind of like weird. I don’t know how it’s possible for things to ever go anywhere though. The emotional and swoony bits seem like they’d be good though. I’m definitely curious about this one!
I loved the mythology Candace
As long as he has the one organ that counts, that’s all that matters. Bow chicka bow bow. lol. Sounds like an interesting book.
Bwahaha. .these are internal organs
Wow Kim this one really sounds good and lol about your mummy romance phobia, this from a girl who reads zombie books. 🙂
Um..yeah but I don’t imagine kissing them. Lol
Sounds interesting! The lack of organs probably wouldn’t have even entered my mind…the fact he is dead might ;)! Great review Kim!
It is mentioned and I couldn’t scrub it from my mind
The Bibliophile Babe
LOL on the mummy bits! I hate when my inner nerd can’t turn off her commentary to enjoy a book. :p Sounds like a cool read!
Right… .he is missing organs..and he does things that made my mind twist over the logistics
Brandi Breathes Books
The forbidden romance aspect def has my attention
Yep, it always adds excitement
As always, your review is fun and informative, and the book sounds pretty interesting! Hugs…Ro
Thank you cupcake 🙂
This one is new to me and actually looks like one I might like, which surprises me considering it’s a mummy romance? That’s a new one on me, and I kind of like that it’s a little different that way.
The romance is secondary to the quest. This was a fun read Kathy
Braine Talk Supe
Bahahahaha! I can’t help but laugh over Amon’s missing organs! Yup, that would be weird, it’s one of those “Oh I fell in love with his personality” kinda thing.
Hehe..it is different.
Tyler H Jolley
Ok, the mummy romance cracks me up too! But I feel like the artwork on the cover kinda makes up for it. Great review, Kimba!
Lol. At least he wasn’t wrapped 🙂
Great review, Kimberly. I love that Houck takes on mythologies that aren’t often used in YA but I do think sometimes her prose is a bit ‘clunky’ and you can get bogged down in it. I’ve been excited for Reawakened since I heard about it. I’ll give it a go but probably in paper format. 😉 I think I’d get too lost in the audio because of all the details.
It was a fun read, and thank you for sharing your thoughts about her writing.
Eww. A mummy! Are we the only ones who think this is incredibly gross? 🙂 An interesting plot, but maybe sans the romantic angle? Great review.
Hehe..someone else mentioned were and vampires and I realized I had no problem with them. I think it’s the missing organs..lol
Mummy and then romance with a mummy. lol I’m sure he wasn’t all wrapped up and icky but still, he was a mummy. But it sounds like it would make for a great movie.
No, he wasn’t wrapped. .now that would have been creepy
I haven’t tried this author because I have read reviews that lead me to believe her writing isn’t for me, and I think with your review, you have enforced my belief. I am sure her books are right for others, but I think I am going to pass. A romance with a mummy? That is a little too weird for me.
This was my first and despite some issues I did enjoy it.
Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
I don’t know if I could get past the Mummy bit either! lol And info dumps that slow the pace are no fun/…especially on audio!
Hehe..it was a fun read though
I have seen this around and was captivated by the cover. Glad to see you enjoyed it and want to read more. 🙂
The cover is cool
Glad you read this Kim and that you did like it! It did drag in parts, I agree but it was a lot of fun too in others. I really can’t wait to see what book two holds, it will be interesting!
Agreed Ali 🙂
Yup, when you said he was a mummy, I shivered and not in a good way. I could definitely see that as a drawback for enjoying the romance.
But Egyptology and strong worldbuilding and plot make this sound really good.
It was a fun listen Sophia
Ooh Egypt, a subject sure to grab my attention and that’s before I had read the words ‘ancient curses’. A shame that this dragged in places and that the pacing could have been better, I’m glad that overall you seemed to enjoy it.
It did but it really picked up as it progressed
I have the same trouble with werewolves and vampires. I can read the stories but I rarely get the romance. I leave it up to you to add it up why. 🙂
Anna from Elements of Writing
Now I can fall for them without a problem. .bwahaha
Heh. I can see the practical side of my mind struggling a touch with the mummy aspect for a while, but it sounds like this world (despite the info dumps) is well-done and engaging, so hopefully I’ll be able to move past that detail quickly! Glad you enjoyed this for the most part Kim:)
Lol. It was a sweet romance 🙂 and the story really picked up as it progressed
This sounds great and so unique! I love Egyptian history and this sounds like an interesting spin on it despite the info dumps and the fact one of the MCs is missing his organs! I’m looking forward to reading this one.
She really did select some interesting Egyptian mythology
I keep wondering how she got her parents to allow her to visit Egypt
It’s too bad that it draggued you but in a whole it sounds good, it’s always so much fun to find something different like that!
It was different and the last part was so good 🙂