by Colleen Houck
Series: The Reawakened #1
Narrator: Phoebe Strole, Mark Deakins
Length: 13 hrs
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Narration: 4 cups
When seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young enters the Metropolitan Museum of Art one morning during spring break, the last thing she expects to find is a live Egyptian prince with godlike powers, who has been reawakened after a thousand years of mummification. And she really can’t imagine being chosen to aid him in an epic quest that will lead them across the globe. But fate has taken hold of Lily, and she, along with her sun prince, Amon, must travel to the Valley of the Kings, raise his brothers, and stop an evil, shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world. From New York Times bestselling author Colleen Houck comes an epic adventure about two star-crossed teens who must battle mythical forces and ancient curses on a journey with more twists and turns than the Nile itself.
Reawakened by Colleen Houck takes the reader on an adventurous quest from New York City to the tombs of Egypt. Wrapped in Egyptian mythology Awakened and its tale of good vs evil and forbidden romance will captivate listeners. While I struggled with aspects, I quite enjoyed the narrative voices of Phoebe Strole and Mark Deakins and this original fantasy.
- The entire concept of Reawakened was fascinating, original and fully developed. Lilliana Young discovers Amon an Egyptian prince who has reawakened after a thousand years of mummification. Yep, our love interest is a mummy! Lily must aid him in his quest to raise his brothers and battle the evil god Seth. Ancient curses, danger, and travel to the Valley of the Kings delivered an epic tale of good vs evil.
- Lilliana Young (Lily) our young protagonist is seventeen and struggling with the high expectations of her successful, career driven parents. She is trying to choose the college she will attend as well as her major. In her heart, she knows what she wants to do, but fears defying her parents. Meeting Amon and embarking on their quest allows for tremendous growth in Lily.
- Amon and his brothers were fascinating and Houck did a wonderful job of sharing their story. When the brothers joined the story, the intensity increased and the author managed to share the bond these brothers share. I really enjoyed their storyline and their battle with Seth.
- The forbidden aspect intensified the romance that develops between Amon and Lily. The romance delivered swoon-worthy moments, delicious banter and a touch of humor. I imagine that many readers will declare Amon their next book boyfriend particularly after their first kiss!
- Despite some issues, (see below) the world was rich in detail, and the overall arc with its Egyptian mythology, Gods and quests kept me listening. Houck created complex, likeable characters even allowing secondary characters moments to shine. The tale ended at a good place, with only a little cliffhanger to build excitement.
- Phoebe Strole and Mark Deakins did a wonderful job of narrating, although there were times when the voices of Lily and Amon sounded too similar. Deakins shared the Egyptian mythology and his voice was pleasant.
- The first section of the audio dragged in part because of information dumps. While in the end, I appreciated the details I wish the flow allowed me to slip in sooner. I found the last one-third of the story riveting. It took a full week of listening to complete Reawakened. When an audio holds me spellbound I can devour in just a few sessions. Problems with the pacing, wordiness and info dumps attributed to my issues.
- While the romance was adorable and had swoon-worthy moments, Amon is a mummy! Details about his mummification and lack of organs kept entering my mind. LOL.
- I really felt the tale could have withstood additional editing allowing for better pacing. The conversations dragged in areas and I felt other parts were an unnecessary rehashing of information or character opinions.
Reawakened delivered a fascinating adventure and is sure to please young adult fantasy fans. While I had some issues, I am curious to see what will happen in Recreated the next book in the Reawakened series expected to publish in 2016.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.