by Mary Higgins Clark
Series: Under Suspicion #1
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Narrator: Alafair Burke
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Television producer Laurie Moran is delighted when the pilot for her reality drama, Under Suspicion, is a success. Even more, the program - a cold case series that revisits unsolved crimes by recreating them with those affected - is off to a fantastic start when it helps solve an infamous murder in the very first episode. Now Laurie has the ideal case to feature in the next episode of Under Suspicion: the Cinderella Murder. When Susan Dempsey, a beautiful and multi-talented UCLA student, was found dead, her murder raised numerous questions. Why was her car parked miles from her body? Had she ever shown up for the acting audition she was due to attend at the home of an up-and-coming director? Why does Susan's boyfriend want to avoid questions about their relationship? Was her disappearance connected to a controversial church that was active on campus? Was she close to her computer science professor because of her technological brilliance, or something more? And why was Susan missing one of her shoes when her body was discovered? With the help of lawyer and Under Suspicion host Alex Buckley, Laurie knows the case will attract great ratings, especially when the former suspects include Hollywood's elite and tech billionaires. The suspense and drama are perfect for the silver screen - but is Cinderella's murderer ready for a close-up?
It has been a while since I read a mystery by Mary Higgins Clark and was excited to listen to The Cinderella Murder the first in the Under Suspicion series. The stories feature cold cases, unsolved murders for a television program and the Cinderella Murder introduced us to Laurie Moran the producer of the television series Under Suspicion. Clark offered a compelling campus mystery with plenty of likely suspects.
Five reasons to curl up with the Cinderella Murder this holiday season
- If you are a fan of unsolved murder mysteries and reality crime shows than Clark’s new series will delight you, as we interview those involved with the crime and piece together clues. Clark makes us privy to the behind the scenes workings of a reality drama show.
- The case is fascinating. Susan Dempsey a talented UCLA student is found dead. Despite suspects, the police were never able to solve the crime. Now ten years later thanks to her mother’s persistence Laurie Moran and her show Under Suspicion re-interview those closest to her and the lead suspects.
- Clark provides us with an interesting cast of characters. Laurie Moran and her young son know firsthand about unsolved crimes, and this makes Laurie very successful at her job. Laurie’s Dad, takes care of her young son. As a retired police officer, he aids the investigation. Laurie is intelligent, quick thinking and level headed. She loves her son and excels at her career. While not without flaws and luggage, she felt genuine. Alex Buckley is the host of Under Suspicion and a lawyer. Smooth and patient best describe Alex. I would like to see the man get a little excited. Friends and associates of the victim make for a curious case. Even Laurie’s young son makes an impact on the case at hand, notching up the suspense. Clark did an excellent job of fleshing out characters and we even see hints of romances. I loved how diverse the suspect list was from actors to scientists.
- The Cinderella Murder was a fantastic audio listen. Alafair Burke did a wonderful job of creating unique voices for each character. Her pacing, breath and emotions allowed me to slip into the story.
- Mary Higgins Clark is a seasoned author who knows how to let the story unfold, weaving in red herrings, clues and notching up the suspense. Nothing felt forced or rushed. The mystery was well crafted with an air of believability danger and action. I had a blast piecing things together and enjoyed the twists and turns.
For fans of reality dramas and murder mysteries, The Cinderella Murder will make a wonderful edition to your audio collection. I am looking forward to continuing this series on audio.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/176443443″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone