by Jenn Bennett
Series: Roaring Twenties #2
Genres: Historical Romance, Paranormal
It’s the Roaring Twenties in foggy San Francisco. Prohibition is on, inhibitions are low, and dark magic is rolling into town… Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson is packing something everyone wants. The djed amulet, a priceless Egyptian artifact, will fetch Lowe a hefty paycheck from one of San Francisco’s wealthiest. But when the handsome Swede runs into his patron’s uptight daughter, what he once considered easy money becomes maddeningly complicated… Cursed with deadly spirits as her constant companions, curator Hadley Bacall must keep calm to hold her dangerous specters at bay and prevent them from lashing out at anything—or anyone. Trouble is, Lowe is driving her crazy, but her father needs the artifact he’s transporting. While Hadley can feel the amulet’s power, she can’t fathom the destruction—or the desire—it’s about to stir up.
I am in love with the naughty, charismatic Magnusson brothers. After I finished reading this Carmel @ Rapid Reads tweeted me and asked, “Who was your favorite brother? Winter or Lowe?” I was stumped because I loved them both for different reasons. Lowe has a boy like quality to him that appealed to me, where as Winter is more controlled. If you have not yet read a Jenn Bennett novel….commit her name to memory because she is now an auto-buy for me. Grim Shadows is the second novel in her Roaring Twenties series and it blends several genres to create a tale that will keep you spellbound and a romance that will make you swoon.
Five reasons to grab a cup of coffee and curl up with Grim Shadows
1. The Roaring Twenties and Egyptian artifacts wrapped in paranormal woo-woo. Bennett weaves a wicked tale around an ancient curse, specters and a quest to find missing pieces to an artifact. All of this in hopes of stopping a lunatic. It was a gripping tale from beginning to end and had me captivated.
2. The Magnusson brothers. Yum. Lowe is Winter’s younger brother. He is an archaeologist and like his brother he skirts around the law. He is a charismatic swindler who happens to be very intelligent. I loved that there is really a good guy hiding beneath his latest scheme.
3. Hadley Becall is a curator and scholar who longs to run the museum and go on excavation digs. She is strong, intelligent and secretly bold. She is cursed by dangerous specters who roar their ugly heads and wreak havoc whenever she is upset. Beneath her carefully built facade lies a wanton woman with a passion for lingerie.
4. You love fleshed out, complicated characters that wrap themselves around your heart. Not only does Bennett deliver an anti-hero and heroine to root for she gives us secondary characters that steal our heart. Her villains will induce fantasies that include running them over with a taxi. The romance itself is quite heated at times, but also had tender moments, and indecisiveness. It made me both swoon and giggle.
5. While I never doubted I would get my HEA, the ride Bennett took me on was filled with twists, danger, and heated moments. She allowed me to experience a range of emotions from laughter to tears. I completely immersed myself in Grim Shadows losing track of time and slipping into the streets of San Francisco.
Grim Shadows was a fantastic edition to the Roaring Twenties series. Bennett’s characters, setting and talent for spinning an exciting tale have me eager for more. If you have not done so, check out book one, Bitter Spirits and watch for the release of Grave Phantoms in the spring/summer of 2015.
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.