by Joss Ware
Series: Envy Chronicles #1
Narrator: Sebastian Fields
Length: 10 hours and 34 minutes
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Everything they knew is gone...
From the remnants of devastation, five men emerge with extraordinary new powers. They are humankind's last hope, but they cannot survive this devastated world alone.
When Dr. Elliott Drake emerges from a cave after traveling fifty years through time, the world as he knew it is gone. Cities are overgrown jungles, and what's left of civilization has been repressed by crystal-wearing immortal beings. But even more unsettling: Elliott has acquired an extraordinary ability--the power to heal.
But even that gift, in a world that lacks the technology and infrastructure of his past, is a two-edged sword for Elliott.
Jade Kapiza, who'd been imprisoned by the immortal beings, has been in hiding for years. But now she's determined to help the human race fight back against the control of her captors. She can trust no one...but when Elliott comes into her life, he pushes at her defenses and begins to tear down the walls she's built so carefully.
Yet the mysterious doctor seems to have secrets of his own. Can Jade trust Elliott with her heart, even as they risk their lives to save a band of innocents?
And can Elliott find a new place for himself--a home--in this new, ravaged world?
Lorna from Rabid Reads placed Envy Chronicles on my radar with its zombie-like creatures, post-apocalyptic world, and paranormal elements. Beyond the Night by Colleen Gleason writing as Joss Ware, is the first book in the Envy Chronicles. I chose to listen to the audiobook narrated by Sebastian Fields. It is currently 2.99 through Audible.
Five reasons to grab your earbuds and listen to Beyond the Night
- In 2010 most of the world’s inhabitant died. Not by a virus or natural disaster nor was it a war. An unknown group referred to as the “Strangers” appeared shortly after in small numbers and began taking over. These strangers are immortals wearing odd crystals. Strange zombie-like creatures known as Gangas roam the planet. These oversized monsters, appear at night and have razor sharp claws. They all moan the same message.
- Our story begins fifty years later when Dr. Elliott Drake emerges from a cave with friends to discover they have traveled in time and the world as they know it is gone. As an added twist Drake discovers he can heal with his touch. What unfolds is a dystopian, apocalyptic, zombie, paranormal romance mix up.
- Beyond the Night offers suspense, horror, a little bit of mystery and even some heat. The danger will keep you on edge. As we get to know all the players I was never quite sure of everyone’s intentions. Most of our time is spent in the human settlement town known as Envy. We get everything from political plays to boarder patrol as this group protects their own. The town is well established and even boasts a bar with nightly entertainment.
- The story isn’t perfect, but I was curious about the world and its secrets. I struggled with Drake’s emerging Alpha tendencies, and the relationship he had with Jade Kapiza. These aspects pulled me from the other threads that I found fascinating. Jade was a bit of a mystery and a total badass. She is a loner hiding from something but joins up with Drake and a relationship develops. Both characters have secrets, and I will be curious to discover them.
- Ware laid the groundwork for the Envy Chronicles revealing enough to hook me and lay the foundation for questions that need to be answered. The ending wrapped up nicely while leaving the door open for the next book in the series.
Beyond the Night offered an exciting start to the Envy Chronicles. Sebastian Fields did a stand-up job narrating the story, and I will continue on audio.Beyond the Night by Joss Ware offered an exciting start to the Envy Chronicles #audiobook Click To Tweet
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone