by Karen Ann Hopkins
Series: Serenity's Plain Secrets #1
Genres: Crime Fiction, Mystery, Romantic Suspense
Purchase*: Amazon *affiliate
Lamb to the Slaughter is a story about the intertwining lives of three unlikely people in an Indiana Amish Community and the devastating results when a rebellious teenage girl is found shot to death in a corn field during the harvest. Serenity Adams is the newly elected young sheriff in the country town of Blood Rock and besides dealing with the threatening behavior of her predecessor, she now has a dead Amish girl on her plate. At first glance, the case seems obvious. The poor girl was probably accidently shot during hunting season, but when the elders of the Amish community and even the girl’s parents react with uncaring subdued behavior, Serenity becomes suspicious. As she delves deeper into the secretive community that she grew up beside, she discovers a gruesome crime from the past that may very well be related to the Amish girl’s shooting. Serenity enlists the help of the handsome bad-boy building contractor, Daniel Bachman, who left the Amish when he was nineteen and has his own dark reasons to help the spunky sheriff solve the crime that the family and friends who shunned him are trying desperately to cover up. Serenity’s persistence leads her to a stunning discovery that not only threatens to destroy her blossoming romance with Daniel, but may even take her life in the end.
Lamb to the Slaughter by Karen Ann Hopkins offers readers a view into the small town of Blood Rock, Indiana that borders and interacts with a local Amish Community. Hopkins delivers a murder mystery that has the new local sheriff navigating the two communities to catch a killer. Mini Review: fascinating whodunit with a side dish of romance
5 reasons to grab a cup of coffee & curl up with Lamb to the Slaughter:
- You like small town settings and are curious about the Amish community. Hopkins does a great job of sharing small-town politics, Amish culture and dealing the issues that arise when dealing with criminal acts.
- You like a nice, slow-burning romance and aren’t looking for it to be all wrapped up in a neat bow at the end. I liked the chemistry between Serenity Adams and Daniel Bachman. The romance is definitely a side dish to the murder mystery, but an enjoyable one.
- Strong, complex characters who are also flawed or damaged. Serenity is tenacious when it comes to solving crimes and seeking justice for the victim. She is skittish when it comes to relationships despite her obvious attraction and warm fuzzy feelings towards Daniel. It was delightful watching them interact.
- You enjoy tagging along on an investigation and digging up clues. Hopkins did a great job of creating suspects and offered up a suspenseful mystery with twists. She provided subtle clues that allow the reader to piece together the crime. The tale had multiple perspectives, including those of the victim. This gave us terrific insight into the character and the events leading up to the crime. I had an inclination of who the killer was and I was pleased with how this tightly woven case unfolded. Hopkins gave me a satisfying, realistic conclusion to the investigation.
- You like reading series that feature the same lead characters and like that each book focuses on a new case.
Lamb to the Slaughter was an easy, enjoyable read that I completely enjoyed. I was over the moon excited to hear that there will be more books in this series. Serenity and Daniel will solve cases involving Amish communities throughout the Midwest!
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email is not shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.