Today’s Blogger Tips and Tricks is all about “Related Content Links”. These are links to other articles found within your blog or website that a viewer might like based on the current post. The benefits to having related content links at the beginning or end of your post are numerous.
- Offers viewer additional posts related to the current topic
- Showcases your previous posts
- Embedded links optimize SEO
- Generates longer visits, and encourage return visits
There are three different types of related content plugins:
- Thumbnail images creates image of related posts
- Flyout- instead of being placed at top or foot of post these fly out from the side of blog as visitor is reading your post.
- Text -clickable titles of related articles from your blog
I personally think related content widgets are more effective in keeping a reader engaged than sliders at the top of posts. My reasoning is this: the reader arrived at your blog because they were interested in the current post’s topic. It is only logical to assume that related content links within the same genre, author etc would peak said viewers interest. While the slider located at the top of your blog may be quickly scrolled over to get to the article that drew them to you in the first place and may not showcase related content.
A Few Popular Related Content Widgets
- Zemanta Related Content Widget- complete customization and mobile app ready. You can allow optimizer to choose what related content displays or choose your own. I like this feature, especially when I mention a related book within my review, I can then have that review in related content. Offers on dashboard statistics letting you see how Zemanta is impacting page views, and readers. Does not impact load time. Short-code to select placement of content within post or place at end by default.You can remove their logo. Current supported platforms include: WordPress, Blogger, TypePad, Posterous, Movable Type. This is what I am currently using. I like being able to hand select or override Zemanta’s choice of related content. I also like that I am able to use a different view type for mobile devices.
- Ultimate Book Blogger Plugin – offers in-house related content based on random, genre, author, rating, publisher and series. Structured set up with minor tweaking available. Unable to pick and choose specific related content and no statistics. Low impact on load time within UBB total load impact. Currently supports WordPress and allows short-code for placement. One time fee of 35.00 includes a plethora of must have tools for book bloggers. Sadly my theme doesn’t format well with this, I have a serious font issue and until I figure out how to fix that issue this isn’t a viable solution for me. However I use other features everyday and cannot live without it.
- nrelate-offers customized look, ability to choose content and advertising opportunity. Low impact on low time. Allows you to use shortcode to select placement of content. Supports blogger, WordPress and Tumblr.
- (YARPP) Yet Another Related Posts Plugin – simple widget for WordPress users, offers thumbnails if your theme allows. Use unique algorithm to find related content and has low load time.
- Shareaholics– Has several themes to choose from, low impact on load time and offers access to analytic tools on their website. Works on WordPress, Tumblr, Drupal and most platforms.
- Linkwithin– I am going to flat-out not recommend this site for a few reasons. Your content is housed off site and fed into post impacting load time, offers no flexibility of content, statistics etc. When I moved from blogger to WordPress and uploaded linkwithin it would not work. I followed support information, and filled out form regarding my issue as instructed. Apparently moving from blogger to WP causes an issue because it was one of the boxes to check. It stated problem would be fixed and to email support if not corrected in 48 hrs. Well it didn’t get fixed and email to support generated no help. in fact I didn’t even get an auto reply or case number?!? Supports Blogger, WordPress and other platforms.
There are several other options out there, so feel free to search and try others as well. I shared the top sites and ones that made best of lists. Regardless of which format you choose adding related content can boost page views, impact SEO, and increase visit length. It exposes a new visitor to more of your content and may gain your new followers. So give those old posts some love and add related content to your posts!