I am declaring today Test it Tuesday in this month’s edition of How the Heck Do You Do That?!? Blogging Maintenance goes beyond updating your theme, plugins and writing posts. It is important to test links, plugins and more. These are things I see on blogs daily and today I am going to help you test one of them.
Test it Tuesday
Social links, fancy plugins and gadgets all delight us as bloggers. WE all want cool features for our visitors and links to make things easier for them to discover new things. As I hop around visiting blogs I come across a lot of plugins or links that aren’t function properly. So today I am going to go over one of those issues- Comments. Next month I will focus on other issues and recommendations.
The first thing I want you to do is log out of your blog. We are going to visit it as if we are a stranger. Do you have a second email? We will be using it today. If you don’t go create one and come back. (I have a free hotmail account I use just to log-in and test blog)
Commenting and the ease of commenting are the biggest complaints I hear bloggers making when they visit sites. So we are going to test your commenting and reply system.
- Using your second email select one of your recent posts and leave yourself a lovely comment. As you do check to make sure commenting is easy. Usually a comment should only require an email address and name with url to website being optional.
- Can you easily comment?
- Is your spam blocker easy or does it require multiple tries to prove you are Not a Robot?
- If you comment is held in moderation does it notify you?
- Check your email. Did you get an annoying spammy notification?
Did you have any issues with commenting? No? proceed to Replies. Yes..let’s resolve them
- Commenting system requires login etc. There are oodles of commenting systems so I cannot go threw each one. I recommend you check a few things though.
- Go to WordPress or Blogger Settings (Blogger got to Settings/ Comments. For WordPress go under Settings/Discussions)
-For Blogger make sure it says Anyone can comment. We will deal with moderation and spam in a moment.
-For WordPress the Default should be [allow people to comment] and Other Commenting Settings should be – [Comment author must fill out name and e-mail] If you have only registered user clicked un-check it. Folks have enough passwords to remember. Commenting on your post should be stress free.
- If you are using a commenting plugin, go to comment section in plugin settings. Be sure you are allowing everyone to comment who at min provided an email address.
2. Spam Blocker is like Fort Knox
I am not going to lie I loath Captcha. I cannot figure out the words and often have to enter twice. This is a HUGE deterrent for folks commenting. If you are having issues with Spam then moderate comments on Blogger or install a user friendly plugin like Google’s reCaptcha.
For WordPress you can hold comments in moderation or use a Spam catcher plugin like G.A.S.P (provides that little check box saying I am not a spammer) or Askmit. These will all help filter comments while making it easy for folks to comment.
Since I know inquiring minds want to know- I use Comment Luv premium which comes with G.A.S.P and comment reply built in. You can get them all for free separately but I snagged this plugin when he does his yearly sale and like that it is all in one.
3. Notification of comment being held
If you are using the WordPress commenting system or Blogger’s it should automatically pop up a message. If you are using a commenting system be sure to go through settings to ensure it notifies user their comment is being held for moderation.
4. Spammy Notification. Did you get one of those WordPress auto replies that says something like XXX got your comment and you should visit them again etc? Turn this puppy off. Our mailboxes runneth over and I know I commented I was there. I see this the most on WordPress.com sites.
You should have a notification either in your mailbox or on WordPress that you received a comment (from your other email address) Now it is time to check how your replies work. Unless you have a commenting system installed on Blogger this section will not apply to you. I highly recommend installing a free one. My personal favorite for Blogger is Disqus.
- Let’s reply. Thank yourself for that lovely comment.
- Now go to your other email and see the response you sent.
Did you get something like this?
Blogger (Admin of XXXX) replied to a comment you left on:
(url link to post)
You can check admin’s comment here:
Url link to their response
This e-mail was sent by XXXXXX
If the comment isn’t belong to you, never mind about this e-mail
This comment reply hasn’t been set up properly. Check the plugin you are using under Reply and set it up to include your response.
or how about this:
an email from Blog site saying the comment you made on XX’s blog couldn’t be delivered to XX-email address.
This means that the blogger has a notification being sent to her email address to let her know you made a lovely comment..only the email address isn’t valid. Fix it! Make sure any notifications regarding your blog go to a valid email. (You can also choose to turn off notifications)
or this from WordPress:
XX blog likes your comment [post name xxxxx]
“a highlighted copy of the comment you just left”
You might want to go see what they’re up to! Perhaps you will like their blog as much as they liked your comment!
To me this is spammy and so are those replies that say Thanks for commenting, stop back again.
Your reply should include your response and look something like this:
[Blog Name] Your comment on the post [XXXXX] has a new reply
Here is your original comment:
I skimmed since I am curious about this series. I love that the author amazes you with her twists. Female assassins are cool!
Here is the new reply:
Thanks for commenting I hope you are able to pick a copy up. I think female assassins are cool too.
You can see more information for the comment on this post here:
[url to post comment] was originally left at XXXX blog
Thank you for commenting at [Your Blog Name 🙂 [url to blog]
Click here to unsubscribe from all comment notification emails
Happy Testing! Was your comment/reply set up properly? Have a question about it, ask and I will try to help…