by Amanda Bouchet
Series: Kingmaker Chronicles #2
Published by: Recorded Books
Narrator: Mia Barron
Length: 15 hours and 21 minutes
Purchase: Amazon | Audible | B&N
Narration Rating: 5
SHE'S DESTINED TO DESTROY THE WORLD...
"Cat" Catalia Fisa has been running from her destiny since she could crawl. But now, her newfound loved ones are caught between the shadow of Cat's tortured past and the threat of her world-shattering future. So what's a girl to do when she knows it's her fate to be the harbinger of doom? Everything in her power.
BUT NOT IF SHE CAN HELP IT
Griffin knows Cat is destined to change the world-for the better. As the realms are descending into all-out war, Cat and Griffin must embrace their fate together. Gods willing, they will emerge side-by-side in the heart of their future kingdom...or not at all.
Breath of Fire by Amanda Bouchet is the second novel in the Kingmaker Chronicles series and was one of my most anticipated audios for 2017. Once again I was swept up in this world with its mythology, kick-ass heroine, and motley crew. While I devoured the audio, it was not without flaws and disappointments.
- I love the world Bouchet has created from the four kingdoms to the mythology. She vividly delivers battles and countryside descriptions that explode in my mind as I listen.
- Cat our heroine is snarky and all sorts of badass. She isn’t without flaws, but I love watching her evolve and try to understand her role. She has this incredible strength and vulnerability about her. She has a tendency to act first and think second. Think Rachel from Kim Harrison’s the Hollows.
- Griffin get’s a bad rap from some but I think his scruffy, over protective self, is swoon-worth. When it comes to Cat, he loses his head. However, when it comes to the lands and the people he alway puts them above his own gain and status. Not many alpha males can do that.
- Secondary characters are unique, offering comradery, conflict, and excitement as the overall arc continues to develop.
- The Gods and Beasts are delightful described and interaction with them is intense.
- We learn more about Cat and her family history as well as the world Bouchet has created. All of these reveals and tidbits helped further develop the overall plot and drew me in.
- Despite some issues I will mention below, I like the overall story ARC in this series and thought Breath of Fire was an intense, enjoyable read. Bouchet is a genuinely talented author, but I felt the book suffered middle book syndrome.
- Mia Barron continues to be the perfect narrator for this series. She captures the tone of the story perfectly creating an added level of enjoyment for the listener. Each voice is unique and enhances Bouchet’s interpretations of the character.
- I had problems with the first chapter. It contains a fight, loads of sex and quite frankly even re-listening was confusing. It didn’t set the tone for the story and I think I would have preferred starting with chapter two.
- More plot, less sex. I get it, these two are madly in love. I love the romance, but I NEED the story to be the main dish and for the sex scenes to be a great side dish. Not we lived another day, sex, battle, sex, take me here now. Nope.
- I love the epic battles that occurred throughout Breath of Fire. We get plenty of action and rich descriptions. I can even handle Cat’s impulsiveness, but in almost every fight Cat ends up nearly dead and is miraculously saved by some intervention. It was cool, but when it kept happening it stole some of the power of those battles for the reader. It lost its intensity because I basically knew the outcome. I would have liked to see Cat use her wit.
- Cat took a step back confidence wise, despite all that we learned she has some developing to do for the final novel.
While Breath of Fire didn’t have the power of Promise of Fire, I am vested in the story and look forward to Heart of Fire, particularly after some things we learn at the end of Breath of Fire.Breath of Fire by Amanda Bouchet on audio was amazing despite some issues Click To Tweet
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone