by Penelope Douglas
Published by: Tantor
Narrator: Carrie Brach, Guy Locke
Length: 11 hours and 1 minute
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Purchase: Amazon | Audible
Former tennis player Easton Bradbury is trying to be the best teacher she can be, trying to reach her bored students, and trying to forget her past. What brought her to this stage in her life isn't important. She can't let it be. But now one parent-teacher meeting may be her undoing . . .Meeting Tyler Marek for the first time makes it easy for Easton to see why his son is having trouble in school. The man knows how to manage businesses and wealth, not a living, breathing teenage boy. Or a young teacher, for that matter, though he tries to. And yet there is something about him that draws Easton in-a hint of vulnerability, a flash of attraction, a spark that might burn.Wanting him is taboo. Needing him is undeniable. And his long-awaited touch will weaken Easton's resolve-and reveal what should stay hidden.Contains mature themes
Misconduct by Penelope Douglas was a novel my friends raved about. When the audio came across my desk and I saw the setting was NOLA I grabbed my earbuds. I couldn’t be happier not only did I get a swoon-worthy romance with all the elements I favor but I found a new author. Heated, snarky, complex and completely addictive I devoured the audio edition of Misconduct.
Grab your earbuds and listen to Misconduct
- Carrie Branch and Guy Locke narrate Misconduct as Penelope Douglas provides the perspective of Easton Bradbury and entrepreneur Tyler Marek. Easton and Tyler meet at a shindig and share an innocent but heated moment. The chemistry is off the charts and both think about the other nameless person..until their paths cross again. Their story had all the elements I love from wicked banter to wipe your tears moments and it was wrapped up in a passionate tale that left me breathless.
- Easton is a teacher at a private school where she uses innovative and edgy methods to teach her students. Easton has reinvented herself after ending a career in tennis and I loved getting to know her. She is edgy, outspoken and with the intelligence to back it up. She is fractured, but strong, proud yet forgiving and Douglas peeled back her layers allowing me to connect and understand.
- Tyler Marek did not get successful by playing nice but he is also a man of integrity. He has his eye on the political arena where he feels he can make a difference. He works crazy hours and is both feared and respected by his associates. The man can be a tad domineering, particularly in business and a couple of times Easton and I both wanted to throttle him. Thankfully, Easton is not the least bit intimidated and lord was it fun watching her handle him. Douglas shares his journey as Tyler juggles success, his campaign and personal life.
- Tyler had a son when he was twenty and while he has supported both mother and child, he very much wants to be a part of his son’s life. It is a learning process and Douglas shared more than a romance with us but also a father-son relationship that was complicated, humorous and tender. It gave the story depth and heart while further allowing us to understand Tyler.
- There is a subtle thread of suspense/danger that is developed from Easton’s past and it added interest and suspense. It was cleverly written further showcasing Douglas’s writing skills.
- The chemistry in this heated romance is off the chart. It has elements of a forbidden romance but there is also friendship, understanding and trust making it a powerful love story. Penelope Douglas brought these characters to life, making their conversations, intense passion and complications feel very raw and genuine. I love when two strong, take charge personalities come together because the storm they created was magnificent. I loved that even though there is an age difference between them they each learn and grow because of the other.
- The narrators did an excellent job but I preferred Easton at 1x speed and found I preferred Tyler at 2x speed. I loved the use of both a male and female narrator. It was so well done, even the sex scenes felt realistic.
- New Orleans baby! I loved the attention to detail regarding the city. Stories set in the Quarter always draw me in and Douglas knows NOLA.
Quotes from Misconduct
“Damaged people were survivors, and they survived because they always put themselves first. Self-preservation demanded it.”
“In our hearts, we always know what’s right and wrong. That’s not the struggle. The struggle is wanting what’s wrong for you and gauging whether or not the consequences are worth it.”
“Tyler looked after him and then turned to me, cocking his head. “I’m not a jealous man, but for you I might make an exception.”
“I like how you are with me. You’re not careful with me. You see more of me than anybody else.”
I pressed my body against his, arching up on my toes and leaning toward his lips. His breath hitched, and I slipped my hands inside his jacket again and gripped his waist.
“Don’t be careful with me, Tyler,” I whispered, catching his bottom lip, sucking it quickly and then letting it go. “Please,” I pleaded.
And he groaned, closing his eyes and diving in.”
If you are looking for a heated romance with all of the feels then grab a copy of Misconduct today. This was my first Douglas book but it won’t be my last.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237016950″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone