by Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson #8
Published by: St. Martin
Genres: Urban Fantasy
With twelve hellhounds after her, pregnant Charley Davidson takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can’t get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. But after months of being cooped up there, Charley is ready to pop. Both metaphorically and literally since she is now roughly the size of a beached whale. Fortunately, a new case has captured her attention, one that involves a murder on the very grounds the team has taken shelter upon. A decades-old murder of the newly-vowed nun she keeps seeing in the shadows is almost enough to pull her out of her doldrums. Charley’s been forbidden to step foot off the sacred grounds. While the angry hellhounds can’t traverse the consecrated soil, they can lurk just beyond its borders. They have the entire team on edge, especially Reyes. And if Charley didn’t know better, she would swear Reyes is getting sick. He grows hotter with every moment that passes, his heat scorching across her skin every time he’s near, but naturally he swears he’s fine. While the team searches for clues on the Twelve, Charley just wants answers and is powerless to get them. But the mass of friends they’ve accrued helps. They convince her even more that everyone in her recent life has somehow been drawn to her, as though they were a part of a bigger picture all along. But the good feelings don’t last for long because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life….
The Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones is a unique urban fantasy that combines humor, suspense, action and a steamy romance that make me swoon. Eighth Grave After Dark, the eighth book in the series is a pivotal one and I encourage you to devour it immediately.
Spoiler free review for folks who have read the series
Five Caffeinated reasons to call out sick and read Eighth Grave After Dark
- Jones herself has indicated Eight Grave After Dark is a pivotal novel as we move forward with the series. Questions are answered, significant moments are shared and revelations are revealed! The tale picks up 8 months after Seventh Grave and No Body ends.
- Charley and Reyes are living in an abandoned convent to protect their soon to be born baby “Beep” and in typical Jones fashion; we have a lot going on. Old friends and allies are popping in, the front lawn is covered with dead people and Charley is ready to pop. A nuptial is about to take place on the grounds, Mr. Wong has magically appeared and is in the corner. Kit shows up with a missing child case. The case Charley was secretly working on produces answers and unexpected results. A young ghost needs help and there is a wailing woman in Charles closet…yeah life is good.
- It is a character reunion! So many characters begin appearing at the convent and it was delightful seeing them and learning new developments. Jones takes secondary characters and gives them pivotal roles for future novels. Folks you will not be able to set this down. Call your boss now. You need a mental health day.
- For fans, this book might make you pee your pants a little because we get answers. I am talking big answers! Ones that have driven us crazy for example, “Who is Mr. Wong?” or “Who sent the twelve hell hounds?’ and so much more.
- Twists, turns and oh baby, Reyes is in trouble! Jones continues to surprise me and it is clear she knows what direction she is taking this story and these characters. It is one hell of ride. While we see some of Charley’s wit and sarcasm and get some heated moments with Reyes this story is much more serious. The ending was brutal but it is not a cliffhanger. Jones likes to deliver these zingers and while it is clear where we are heading the last chapter will bring excitement, tears and have you contemplating driving to New Mexico for an advanced copy of Dirt on Ninth Grave. Unless you are up for a road trip and possible jail time, you will just have to wait like the rest of us for January 5, 2016.
“I just don’t get it. I’m supernatural. You’re supernatural. Why can’t we have one of those quick pregnancies like Bella and Edward? Gwen from Torchwood. Skully. Deanna Tori. Or even Cordelia when that demon impregnated her. Twenty-four hours later, bam! Demon child.”
“… But the good feelings don’t last for long because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life….”
‘I found him in kitchen raiding the fridge. We still had a lot of food left over from the caterers and the cookout last night.
“No,” he said before I could even get a word out.
“But you haven’t heard-”
“No,” he said again, standing up with his arms full of leftovers. “And that’s final.
” How do you even know I want something? ”
“It’s how you walk.”
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone