by Alvania Scarborough
Series: Harker's Hell #1
Published by: Self-published
Genres: Romantic Suspense, Science Fiction
Harker’s Hell- Early settlers thought they’d found a western re-creationist’s heaven. Instead, the new world is a hellish version of the Old West. Now the seeds of long-ago conflict are stirring to life. Dissonance Walker believed she’d seen the worst life had to offer, only to find she’s dead wrong. Sold to a secret organization by her parents for the price of a new stove, her ability to disobey is ripped away by a brutal experiment. Determined to find the key to restore her freedom, she manages to escape her captors, only to end up in the worst place for a woman that can’t say no—on a saloon stage, ready to be sold to the highest bidder. Bram Spencer is sure the heat has baked his brains. With his friend murdered and his ranch under attack, he needs to attend a little unfinished business. Buying some fool woman because she pokes at scabs he thought long healed, isn’t on the list. It’s bad enough he has to go through the fuss of rescuing her, now he discovers the only way to grant her freedom is to marry her. This is why he never plays the hero—no good deed goes unpunished. Secrets have a long life. Sometimes decades. Now the sins of the past have returned, ready to collect their dues. Only trust can save Dissonance and Bram from a shocking evil… but trust is a hard commodity to come by on the frontier.
Disobedience by Alvania Scarborough is the first novel in the Harker’s Hell series. It is an intriguing blend of science fiction and romantic suspense. I found myself completely caught up in its Old West world and historical romance vibe. A simmering romance, humor and a mystery threaded throughout the tale had me flipping the pages. Fresh, original and genre bending Scarborough gave me one heck of an adventure.
Five reasons to grab a copy of Disobedience
- The story takes place on another planet where human settlers have recreated the Old West complete with bounty hunters, ranchers, saloons and slave traders. I was intrigued from the opening pages as we bear witness to the heroine up for auction.
- Scarborough quickly establishes some of the governing rules of this Old West and boy howdy. Our hero, Bram Spencer, a legendary bounty hunters takes pity on our heroine, Dissonance Walker and despite ever intention not to he buys her. Obviously, our bounty hunter has been too busy hunting criminals because he quickly discovers he cannot just free her as intended. Right away I was hooked by their situation and eager to see what developed.
- Throughout the story, there is this mysterious science fiction thread with experiments, parasites and missing folks. For the most part, we are kept in the dark, but after each chapter, we read from journals that slowly give us the background to this strange world. While I am still not a hundred percent sure what is going on, I will say this I am curious and anxious to learn more. Usually I want my world completely fleshed out but we are learning as they are. They have only begun to scratch the surface and I like that we are learning as they do. This thread also brought suspense as our couple find themselves targeted.
- At the heart of Disobedience there is a romance. I adored both Dissonance and Bram. Their chemistry felt genuine and I went from laughing aloud to swooning. Dis is snarky and to see her threaten Bram and the ranch hands just made me smile. I love feisty characters and she is just a hoot. The author does an excellent job of fleshing them out and allowing the reader to connect. Scarborough brings the heat but keeps things very mainstream. It was a hot combination of heat, humor and steam.
- Secondary characters including an over-sized dog added humor and gave it a small-town feel. From the local sheriff to a feisty old lady with a wooden spoon I felt right at home.
If you are looking for a romantic suspense that will tickle your science fiction side, Harker’s Hell is a series to check out. I thoroughly enjoyed Disobedience and look forward to revisiting this world.
*Disclosure- I am currently working for this author as a VA, but this did not influence my review. If you are interested in reviewing Disobedience please contact me under Bloggers Wanted menu.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone